I Cannot Find This One Simple Feature on a Bag

NEhomer

Reaction score
Handicap
My Nike cart bag has faithfully gotten me through the past 4 years but alas, I have a new Zip Navigator and the old bag's got some tatters and faded parts so I'm looking for a new cart bag, the bigger the better. I've been searching all brands and all stores, ebay, Amazon, Dick's. I cant find any bags with a simple, readily accessible GPS pouch. I don't need a zipper, a magnet or a velcro seal. When's the last time your bag was upside down? Whenever it was, your clubs all fell out and you picked everything up. My Nike has the perfect pouch on the outside of the upper pocket. The strap hangs out and I can snag my GPS, use it and return it in seconds. It has never and will never fall out.

Problem is, NIKE doesn't make the bag anymore and every bag I look at has zippered pockets, or velcro or some other needless closure system. The only time things do fall out of golf bags is when the zippers get left open and the side of the pocket opens. Anyway, I don't expect that y'all will have had any better luck than me but it surprises me that it's not a common feature of golf bags.

2QlycDh.jpg

XvtNaMH.jpg

My Titleist Stay-Dri Walking bag had a pouch on the side. Most cart bags will have the magnet these days.

I like the feature. My suggestion would be to get the bag you like and open the pocket when you’re playing.

Ping Pioneer. Best cart bag ever. The pocket for my rangefinder is a lined to protect valuables and is just deep enough that it is easy to grab but will never fall out if you don't zip it. FWIW, I never zip the rangefinder pocket unless my clubs are on a plane. The pocket just below it has a magnetic closure that is secure. It also has a self draining cooler pocket that will hold 7 beers or whatever your drink of choice is. :)

557D380E-C4C5-4558-8581-8C6A5F70EF6C.jpegEA18237A-76BC-4E72-95B2-2AC71550BB3C.jpeg7EC1E754-D5DC-4BD3-A6FF-48E3F9463226.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a Sun Mountain Sync that had a magnetic closure for the range finder. It didn't have much grabbing power so it wasn't a pain to get at by any means. Do you use a pushcart? Maybe look at getting an accessory for that instead.

I don't cart bag, personally - but I see the pain here.
I've always just used either the drink pouch on my stand bags (down by the bottom) or kept it in the case provided.

Have you considered getting one of those wraps that has a magnet on it for the cart?

I had a Sun Mountain Sync that had a magnetic closure for the range finder. It didn't have much grabbing power so it wasn't a pain to get at by any means. Do you use a pushcart? Maybe look at getting an accessory for that instead.

I've been leaning toward the Sun Mountain bags.

I've always just used either the drink pouch on my stand bags (down by the bottom) or kept it in the case provided.

Have you considered getting one of those wraps that has a magnet on it for the cart?

No, what's that?

Just looked 'em up. Pretty cool, maybe I will go that route, thanks.

My Nike cart bag has faithfully gotten me through the past 4 years but alas, I have a new Zip Navigator and the old bag's got some tatters and faded parts, so I'm looking for a new cart bag, the bigger the better. I've been searching all brands and all stores, ebay, Amazon, Dick's. I cant find any bags with a simple, readily accessible GPS pouch. I don't need a zipper, a magnet or a velcro seal. When's the last time your bag was upside down? Your clubs all fell out whenever it was, and you picked everything up. My Nike has the perfect pouch on the outside of the upper pocket. The strap hangs out and I can snag my GPS, use it and return it in seconds. It has never and will never fall out.

Problem is, NIKE doesn't make the bag anymore and every bag I look at has zippered pockets, or velcro or some other needless closure system.

2QlycDh.jpg

XvtNaMH.jpg

I don't recall seeing any bags in the past few years with the pocket you want up high on the bag without a closure. FWIW, the pocket on my Ping that I posted above that I think has the perfect size/location/access rangefinder pocket could easily be modified to your liking by cutting off the zipper on the pocket. The way the zipper is sewn in, you could remove it cleanly fairly easily without any further fraying of the fabric.

That maybe hard to find on a bag now. I can see the ease of having it though.

I don't recall seeing any bags in the past few years with the pocket you want up high on the bag without a closure. FWIW, the pocket on my Ping that I posted above that I think has the perfect size/location/access rangefinder pocket could easily be modified to your liking by cutting off the zipper on the pocket. The way the zipper is sewn in, you could remove it cleanly fairly easily without any further fraying of the fabric.

Yeah, it's nice the the zippers don't zip down the sides. I hate that... just about all fly fishing vest pockets do that too. Why? So all of your gear falls out?!

Just looked 'em up. Pretty cool, maybe I will go that route, thanks.
You'd never think to search them out, but there are some awesome rangefinder accessories out there now.

I have a "wrap" that has two magnets and held around range finder by velcro. I use it on walk cart and ride cart. The wrap holds to any metal and holds firmly. No matter, walking or riding, it is always handy.

This thread got me thinking about how I love my Sun Mountain 2.5 bag for carrying but how crappy/limited it is for pockets and having a spot for my rangefinder during the round(other than than the back pocket of my shorts).

I'll be walking with it tomorrow in Florida so I just ordered one of these and I'll let you know how it goes. I already have a magnetic strap for my rangefinder if I can find it, lol. If not I'll have to buy another one before tomorrows round.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 9.33.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-16 at 9.32.49 AM.png

@NEhomer I just picked up the Ogio Woode 15 cart bag. They have a pocket that would work great for what you are asking in the form of what they call "Rapid Access Snap Pockets" I am not sure if they have them on other bags but here is a link to the one I picked up last week OGIO WOODĒ’ 15 Cart Bag | Golf Cart Bags | OGIO Golf | spr5469432

The side valuable snap pocket is where I would keep the range finder. The pocket doesn't really "close" and you slide your hand in and out with ease

Ping cart bags. Can’t go wrong. Yes you’ll have issue finding a bag with a slip in and out area with no way to secure. Most want closure so when the round is over you put bag in car and not worry about stuff falling out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen one with a fully open pouch up high like you're describing. My Sun Mountain C-130 has a zippered pouch up high that I just leave partially unzipped if I'm taking the rangefinder in and out (I usually put it in one of the front compartments in the cart, though). The zipper is in the shape of an inverted 'U', so it strikes a good balance between accessibility and security even when unzipped. I believe the newer C-130s are magnetic closure instead of zipper for that pouch.

I've used the magnet straps before on my rangefinder and it worked great. Now I have a Bushnell that has the magnet built in. So never worried about the easily accessible pocket. Zips up great when not playing ;)

I carry my gps, and lazer in two zippered pouches on opposite sides of my TE staff bag. I don't use them that much, so hidden in the pouches isn't a bad thing. Not a bad deal, as long as periodic checks doesn't reveal any leaking batteries. Being zippered, there's also the protection from the easy theft/loss issue .

Both range finder items also have their own pouches with belt loops on them. So, there's that.

I appreciate all the feedback in this thread. The magnetic holder got me to think of and make a holder that connects to my zip navigator so problem solved. It's pretty neat; the foam lined box holds it secure and at the ready, easy to grab. It's even more accessible than a pouch on the bag.

t0Y40C1.jpg

That opens the bag search for me quite a bit because the pocket arrangement isn't too much of a concern. As long as it's full sized my next concern is the noise of clanking clubs while the cart rolls along. I'm wondering if anyone has tried or knows anybody who's tried the Founders Club bag. The reviews online are all over the map. It seems like it would do the trick but some love it and some brought it back.

s-l300.jpg

Barring that, I think it'll be some 14 way. I like the Sun Mountain C-130. Looks like it has plenty of room and of course, weight's no issue.

61VxiqWFfLL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I've never seen one with a fully open pouch up high like you're describing. My Sun Mountain C-130 has a zippered pouch up high that I just leave partially unzipped if I'm taking the rangefinder in and out (I usually put it in one of the front compartments in the cart, though). The zipper is in the shape of an inverted 'U', so it strikes a good balance between accessibility and security even when unzipped. I believe the newer C-130s are magnetic closure instead of zipper for that pouch.

My buddy used to do that with a Garmin watch that his wife bought him for Christmas. Then, one day, he left it there after we finished the round. We had a beer afterward and I leave. On the drive home my phone goes off, and it's my buddy asking if I have his GPS! Sorry to say, I do not. He checked the lost and found, the cart barn, no luck! He figures the cart guy made a little money with it. So, he had to spend more money to replace it.

It now rides in an upper zipper pocket on his bag, and it takes no time at all to get it out and use it.

I get why a zip is annoying.. but what is wrong with a magnet like on the Ping DLX/Pioneer bags..?

Leaving such a valuable item in a sleeve with direct exposure to the elements is dumb.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back