I Hate Sales!!!!!

kidzwitgunz

Reaction score
Handicap
So I had determined after about 2-3 months of demoing that the Adams A4 irons were gonna replace my 8 year old Adams GT tour's, then I had to go into Edwin Watts today and see that they just got in both flavor's of the Srixon irons, some J36's, and some Macgregor MT's all were priced at $399.99 or lower...............:banghead: (The Bridgie's might have been used, though they looked new)

Now I hit all of them very briefly for fun, and the only one's I felt I probably could not reliably game were the Srixon 701 tours. My question is are all of these in the same "category" as the A4's? i.e.-low to mid handicap GI-player type irons, with forgiveness and some slight "playability" added......

This is getting really frustrating/overwhelming in all honesty. As soon as I find something I like I discover 20 other irons that look/feel nice! This is like getting lost in a Cabela's or something. Especially since I have not looked at or even considered getting new iron's and wedges for almost 4 years!

All 3 of the irons you tried out are getting ready to be replaced in the next few months. THat is the reason for their price drop. I think the clubs you hit are more in tune with players irons than they are GI irons.

All 3 of the irons you tried out are getting ready to be replaced in the next few months. THat is the reason for their price drop. I think the clubs you hit are more in tune with players irons than they are GI irons.

AHHHHH! Makes sense, so they are more towards the player's section than the A4's or right there with them?

I apologize if you answered the question and am not trying to be dense but I usually need it broken down Barney-style when it comes to definition of golf iron hierarchies, no universal definitions make it very muddy for me.

Still hate sells, cause now I have more options maybe........:banghead:

I would consider them a little towards players irons.

UPDATE TIME!!!!

So after an extensive range session, and LM session followed by two actual course sessions I am shocked to say the least! Never have I considered myself "good" enough to play something more towards the player's iron and yet the J36 PC's have preformed as good as the A4's in nearly every regard, they even are slightly easier to work right and come with a 3 and 4 iron not hybrids.

My only two gripes per se are that the topline on them is a tad thicker than the A4's, but I can get used to it. Also I can only get them in 5.0 or 6.0 X Flighted, not 5.5 because the supplier that Edwin Watts is getting them from only ordered those two surplus, and it would have to be that I was told that I exist b/w 5.5 and 6.0. Now when in doubt aren't you always supposed to go with less stiff since we are not pro's?

Again though I am shocked at these, really shocked! The Srixon 701's were much more closer to the GI category, more so than even the A4's, the cavity is even more visible from 6 iron up, without a forward press (also a very ig topline like Cally stuff). Kinda sad cause I love rockin lesser known stuff and the 701 tours were def TOUR, I would say closer to the j36 cavity or mizzy cb/mb and that means not enough offset/forgiveness for me.

On another note I am equally impressed with the 909D Comp, with the right shaft in it (HD6/7, Proforce Gold, or YSQ) I hit it the exact same as FT-9 (Proforce Gold, WB). Either I am getting more consistent..........or what I used to consider as "player's only-better-be-consistent-with-your-swing" brands have loosened up some of their product lines........think it is the latter not the former IMO! :D

Didn't want to start a whole new thread here but got two questions:

1. Is it better to go with lighter in regards to flex or will I be losing alot of control?

2. Looks like the 5.5 would be better but these ARE NOT offered at the now $299 price of the J36 PC's locally so could I soft step the shafts and extend the length 1" to soften them up a little? (I hit 1" over standard length anyway)

I again hit the 6 iron today, J36 PC 2*upright reg length 6.0 PX Flighted, made great contact felt pretty good but my lower back was a little stiff afterwards and I am thinking it was I had to work the shaft to hard to hit it maybe? Also lost about 5-8yrds or so with a constant fade/push which is not my usual flight in a 6 iron.

Option 2 would mean I only have to buy one shaft for my PW and not a whole set...........I prefer this because I don't trust ebay's track record on real vs fraud PX shafts and anyway you look at it I am only spending $50 total. Pro at my course will sell me a PX flighted for $25 and it went to his GW.

OR should I just pony up the money and buy the 6.0's and replace with 5.5's? Since this would still be marginally cheaper than some other brand new sets? Or maybe hard step the 5.0's and tip too? (if you can do both I doubt it though)

The flighted shafts are a touch softer than the standard rifles. Have the Guy at Ed Watts put you on the launch moniter and spend some time doing a fitting with you. The best advice I have for anyone is to get fit! They should be able to tell you if the shafts fit for you or not with a couple of swing in a bay. Don't get caught up on PC or GI irons at this stage. If the clubs look good to the eye and you get the proper numbers on the launch moniter those are the clubs you should get. I hope that makes sense.

It does thanks. I hit only very briefly, plan to demo with the LM more thoroughly right now I am going to game this 6 iron just to see on course eval. They only had the demo in 5.0 and 6.0, according to what he said numbers were tighter/better in the 6.0 but they felt a little stiff. Felt like I had to work a little more for distance or is this just natural when coming from DG shafts? If that makes sense?

Also they did have the AP2 available for demo with a 5.5 should I just hit all three and compare? Or would this change due to PX's feeling/acting different when matched with a different weighted head? (unless the J36 PC is close to AP2 in head weight, but somehow I do not think OEM's will make it THAT easy)

Felt I did not want to start a NEW thread so story so far is this:

Fit into a J36 PC, Adams A4, and a Srixon I-701 and hit them almost identically. Carry, spin, et al and more importantly the dispersion were almost identical. I mean if you created a std. deviation we would be talking .02 or something like that, so in other words VERY minimal performance changes.

Got fitted into a 6.0 PX flighted (5.5's were hair too light according to fitter), and still hated it. Apparently I do not like shafts that are stiffer in the butt section. Instead I went with a DG Lite (in b/w DG and DGSL) S300/Sensicore and will probably even maybe tip them. I "might" try a gradual tipping though but first I need to play these for a while stock. i.e.-less in the longer irons graduating to more in the scoring but need more research on this idea.

However the iron choice I went with is the shocker, even though I hated the thicker topline of the i-701's, I could not justify the more money when actual performance was so close and the topline is easy to adjust to. Plus I was mistaken when I thought you could see the cavity with a forward press. BIG difference between holding them on the shop floor and actually lining them up for real. Also I figure that if at least one pro-golfer actually hits them, Henrik Stenson, that they will be waaaay more than "just" adequate for me and I can always use more forgiveness.

I am going to try and find either a 302 or 506 PW though just to keep the set matching and give me a little more flexibility for working the ball with a PW. I might also order their 2 iron, since I have a real hard time being consistent with a Hybrid.

Driver/3 wood is next. Leaning 909D Comp though I am def going to look hard at the new Srixon Z-TX, beautiful looking club. Why does the Japanese market get all the cool stuff? I mean Tourstage/Bridgestone has 2 awesome looking iron sets (GR CB and X-Blade CB), but I don't want to pay $1500 for irons......

Back