i need to back to some sgi irons to help my iron game help me choose a set

LEFTY57

Reaction score
Handicap
The last few years i moved a to player and gi irons , My constancy has fallen off . I want more help in an iron and more distance since I getting older , lost a little off the old fast ball.

I played some of my best golf with a set of TM Burner plus & Cally XR irons winning several open and senior club championships. So I want to go back to something more forging and consistent.

Here is what I narrowed my choices to Callaway Rogue , Rogue X, Cobra F8 standard or one length , Cleveland cbx irons .

Your thoughts ?

Thanks GB

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with 1 length if trying to get back where you were, as that adds a totally different variable, but that's just me.
Ping G series clubs are pretty forgiving, but regardless of what you get, make sure you get FIT for them.

Cleveland CBX is what I am gaming now for a month best move I ever made love to forgiveness and extra distance and my SS is 83-85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last few years i moved a to player and gi irons , My constancy has fallen off . I want more help in an iron and more distance since I getting older , lost a little off the old fast ball.

I played some of my best golf with a set of TM Burner plus & Cally XR irons winning several open and senior club championships. So I want to go back to something more forging and consistent.

Here is what I narrowed my choices to Callaway Rogue , Rogue X, Cobra F8 standard or one length , Cleveland cbx irons .

Your thoughts ?

Thanks GB

I'm not sure what your distances are now but the Rogue X is definitely longer than the standard Rogue. My only challenge if I were to switch them is how to properly gap them between woods/hybrids and wedges. I agree that One Length wouldn't be your answer. Perhaps the TM M4 could be a good choice if you check those out along with the Ping irons. If you don't mind paying a touch more it seems the Ping G700 are super long and forgiving from what I've read about them.

The rogue has a generous offset and a medium wide sole and the new stronger lofts. The blade appears compact bit it tall
The rogue X has a wider sole and effectively the same offset and a much stronger set of lofts. I.E. you couls start one club down in the set but you will have to get an extra wedge. The blade looks longer
Single length has advantages but you must be mentally prepared to use them. A traditional golfer struggles a bit till prepare for the change.
Not a really familiar with CBX irons.

I'm not sure what your distances are now but the Rogue X is definitely longer than the standard Rogue. My only challenge if I were to switch them is how to properly gap them between woods/hybrids and wedges. I agree that One Length wouldn't be your answer. Perhaps the TM M4 could be a good choice if you check those out along with the Ping irons. If you don't mind paying a touch more it seems the Ping G700 are super long and forgiving from what I've read about them.

Yes I do have concerns with the one length as well , think the idea is sound but the adjustment period maybe troublesome . I tried the M4's and didn't like the sole much as i dug to much with it , they are long though . Never been really high on Pings because of the lie adjustments if not correct have to be sent back to ping at least a 3 week turn around golf season is short here. I think after writing this response I maybe leaning to Callaway..perhaps

2nd vote for the Ping G irons. I have them and love them

Yes I do have concerns with the one length as well , think the idea is sound but the adjustment period maybe troublesome . I tried the M4's and didn't like the sole much as i dug to much with it , they are long though . Never been really high on Pings because of the lie adjustments if not correct have to be sent back to ping at least a 3 week turn around golf season is short here. I think after writing this response I maybe leaning to Callaway..perhaps

I'm playing the Big Bertha OS right now and I got to demo them head to head with the Rogue X about a week ago with the same shaft. I have the Recoil 760 F3 and hitting them both the Rogue X were a small amount longer than what I have now (maybe 5 yards) but the Big Bertha OS is about 2 degrees weaker than the Rogue X. Those could also be something to consider since the gapping concerns aren't as much.They also have a Senior model with a slightly lighter head weight to help swing faster if distance is a concern. I personally have no issue playing them since they are helping me get better but I know some people may not like the head shape.

I love how everyone puts down the OL when most haven't tried em. Try the Cobra F8 they are great clubs and you can get the standard length if they fit you better.
It took me all of 2 rounds to get used to my OL Irons. The only adjustment was for my wedges really. I'm not saying they are for everyone but they do work for some people. Cobra makes some great clubs that don't get as much ad dollars as most but my best advice would be to go get fit where you can compare a few different OEMs.

I think most of the TOP OEMs are putting out some really good clubs.

i was really surprised by how much i liked the f8 standard irons. i’m an iron snob who belongs in more gi profiles, but the f8 was stupid consistent even with my inconsistent swing.

I don't see anyone "Putting down" OL Irons PF, I mentioned that since he already HAD forgiving clubs, and was struggling a bit with less forgiving clubs, to go back to what he knew, instead of adding ANOTHER variable to the mix.

Glad you're getting along with them.

i need to back to some sgi irons to help my iron game help me choose a set

If you got the source to try it out.
I would suggest XXIO clubs.
My friend swears by it and I’ve seen it in person. It’s long and launch high.
I will be getting them or something similar in few years.
The way the price been going up on club price Japanese clubs doesn’t look so expensive anymore.

I don't see anyone "Putting down" OL Irons PF, I mentioned that since he already HAD forgiving clubs, and was struggling a bit with less forgiving clubs, to go back to what he knew, instead of adding ANOTHER variable to the mix.

Glad you're getting along with them.

What’s the other variable? Everybody has a 7 iron right?

I love how everyone puts down the OL when most haven't tried em. Try the Cobra F8 they are great clubs and you can get the standard length if they fit you better.
It took me all of 2 rounds to get used to my OL Irons. The only adjustment was for my wedges really. I'm not saying they are for everyone but they do work for some people. Cobra makes some great clubs that don't get as much ad dollars as most but my best advice would be to go get fit where you can compare a few different OEMs.

Well stated PF, the adjustment period on the OL F7s I have was very short.

I’ve got the same question as JB.

I switched from variable to OL and the transition was not difficult or complex at all. Setup every club as a 7iron and carry on.

They’re not for everyone but I firmly believe if you can get over the mental aspect, they can probably work for most players.

With all of that said, I’m impressed with what Cobra is putting out, either of the F8 models deserves a look, and the XXIO recommendation is a solid one as well I think.

I think you should get fit for any irons -- but one length, unless Edel is making them for you (They made Bryson's original irons and it took them 2 yrs to bring out their own set afterwards, and it's all a custom fit), I'd avoid them. But they are not SGI.

I'd demo/get fit for the Pings that fit what you think you need - flavor of moment is G700 for SGI and distance, then Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metals, Rogue, Rogue X, etc. Have fun. Tough decision.

I've been thinking the same thing this year and ironically the burner plus was the best iron I've ever played. Best iron I've tested this year was the Hot Metal but want to hit the M4 and Cobra OL. I've also thought for a long time that OL would be the way to go, I used to play my wedges all at PW length but got away from that with my SM6's. I haven't found a fitter that carries OL so that's a slight problem.

Cobra's F7 or F8 irons simply because of the progressive nature of the sets. Long irons offer a ton of help, but the short irons and wedges allow for a much more pleasing look at address.

Tried all the SGI offerings at my recent fittings and ended up with the TaylorMade M-CGB's - hands down the winner, not even close. Really pleased with them, and really surprised they're not getting more 'air time' on the forums etc.

I'm a slow swinger (75mph 7-iron) and coming from 2016 M2's with Steelfiber shafts - added about 10 yards ... nice playing one less club into greens!!

Last edited:
If you got the source to try it out.
I would suggest XXIO clubs.
My friend swears by it and I’ve seen it in person. It’s long and launch high.
I will be getting them or something similar in few years.
The way the price been going up on club price Japanese clubs doesn’t look so expensive anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

Would like to try them but no where to be found around here,
gb

I think you should get fit for any irons -- but one length, unless Edel is making them for you (They made Bryson's original irons and it took them 2 yrs to bring out their own set afterwards, and it's all a custom fit), I'd avoid them. But they are not SGI.

I'd demo/get fit for the Pings that fit what you think you need - flavor of moment is G700 for SGI and distance, then Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metals, Rogue, Rogue X, etc. Have fun. Tough decision.

why would you avoid them? several guys at the 2018 morgan cup played them and played them very well.

I want to second this. It was super easy adjusting to the OL with the F7s. The wedges were the biggest adjustment for me too, but they were SO easy to hit. I'll also add that it was super easy adjusting back to standard lengths.

I would also recommend getting fit. I have the Ping G irons and they have been very good to me.

But thanks to THP and TaylorMade, I have been testing the M4 irons (that aren't fit for me) and they are scary consistent compared to the Pings, or anything else I have tried, for that matter. Check the thread and you'll see Nappy and Golf Dawg are seeing similar results.

The best clubs for you are the ones that work best for you. Try as many as you possibly can. Don't dismiss anything while you are trying - these are the first TMs I've ever hit well.

Probably, but not everyone plays with a 4i or LW the length of their 7i. I tried them. While I think I might be able to adjust to them, I don't have the patience to dedicate months to the switch.

Probably, but not everyone plays with a 4i or LW the length of their 7i. I tried them. While I think I might be able to adjust to them, I don't have the patience to dedicate months to the switch.
Everyone is different candidly, but I've not heard anyone on here or at the course who has switched say it took months to adjust to. Your mileage will vary obviously but I think you may surprise yourself how quickly you could adapt.

Back