If a fitter doesn't offer stock shafts..

Non-stock only option is best option?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other. I'll explain.

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
do you feel like they're really trying to get you in what works best for you?

If they don’t offer stock or more standard offerings then I think it’s a bit of both.

If they do offer stock/traditional offerings and I get fit into something exotic then yes

Something I heard about a week ago tweaked me just a bit. I mean there are a lot of really good stock shafts. Companies work hard on them. And for a fitter to say that they just don't and will never have them available felt kind of like they were actually limiting the options for their customers. I get the idea of fully custom, but man it eliminates a LOT of potential fits.

if you won’t even let me try stock options then you’re only trying to gouge me for extra bucks.

I already have trust issues with the fitting process, so not having any stock options and only having upcharge options would increase my distrust

The only bit I can understand are "made-for" shafts, and even then only a little.

It doesn't really make sense for a fitter to carry the TM Made For Ventus Red and also real Ventus Red. It could get confusing fast for customers who don't know the difference.

I already have trust issues with the fitting process, so not having any stock options and only having upcharge options would increase my distrust
You're choosing to go there. No one's forcing you and you have other options. I mean this more from a best fit perspective than trying to gouge you. There's just a ton of stock shafts. Entire Tensei lines, all Hzrdus, etc etc etc. Things with a lot of successful history for people. I mean you could probably exchange the word "Custom" Shop with "Upcharge Only" Shop and have it right, but I'm just thinking about people's needs really.

I accept the “non stock” fitting model, but also thinks it’s really difficult for most to comprehend. I believe it’s something only the very best fitters and builders can get away with, and they do it more as a way to make the financials of their studios work.

Something I heard about a week ago tweaked me just a bit. I mean there are a lot of really good stock shafts. Companies work hard on them. And for a fitter to say that they just don't and will never have them available felt kind of like they were actually limiting the options for their customers. I get the idea of fully custom, but man it eliminates a LOT of potential fits.
I imagine those shaft companies put a lot of work into making those shafts very playable for as big a swath of players as they can. I would think that for some people one of the stock shafts could be the best fit or right up there with an up charge one. For some people paying $500-$600 for a driver with a stock shaft may be worth it but having to shell out $800-$900 may make them think twice if the gains aren’t there.

You're choosing to go there. No one's forcing you and you have other options. I mean this more from a best fit perspective than trying to gouge you. There's just a ton of stock shafts. Entire Tensei lines, all Hzrdus, etc etc etc. Things with a lot of successful history for people. I mean you could probably exchange the word "Custom" Shop with "Upcharge Only" Shop and have it right, but I'm just thinking about people's needs really.
Yeah it makes it a specialty shop for those that have already been fit and and looking for tune ups. Which is a smaller but definitely lucrative market. We are lunatics after all.

I interviewed with Club Champion last year. I went through the whole interview only because I wanted to get truthful answers to questions, not the BS they would give me as a customer. I already had taken another job.

So as a full timer you have numbers to hit and your facility has numbers to hit. They run promotions for sales people to gain extra commission and count more towards the number so you push that. You are also responsible for everything there including cleaning the toilets. Yea… cleaning the toilets. I forget about them talking about the builds etc… but you go away for I think they said a month of training.

So are stock offerings ok? Yes, if it works just as well other things , why not AND it saves the person money. In some cases the person is now able to afford the club.

I said yes. If you decide to go there knowing the limitations I think you can get an excellent fit.

I don’t know the answer to this but does Club Champion offer the stock shafts for every head they sell in their fitting matrix?

i just see it as a way to maximize profits. it doesn't mean that the options are the best for everyone, but i don't have a problem with not offering stock options.

I believe they ARE gonna try and fit me into what's best for me... While looking out for themselves as well with the custom shaft. I'm glad I got the CC fitting when they ran the deal for the $100(?) full bag fitting with no obligation to buy...I don't see myself buying from CC when I can source the pieces elsewhere... I paid almost half what CC wanted for my Diamana TB from People's Golf (not cheap by any means but well below what CC wanted).

Something I have found out recently, I’m not a “stock” guy. Off the rack doesn’t perform well for me. Fitted equipment is night and day different. But, that’s me. I’m a small percentage of the equipment buying public. If people want off the rack, you should provide it.

I have zero issue with it. I am guessing that they are choosing to not have stock shafts to increase the total sale price.... but that can backfire and lead to people doing the fit, getting the info then going and finding a cheaper option that is similar in specs to what they were just fit to. I know many people that have done this and have considered it myself.

So it is a gamble they are taking and they are betting that their service will get them the more expensive sale.... and I want my fitter to have that confidence. I do my job for the money, I am guessing they do to. Not saying that means you don't do a good job for your customer, 99.9% of the sales I make are to repeat customers, while I don't think fitters have nearly that type of reup rate, returning customers and their references have to be a huge percentage of biz.

I'm confused by the use of stock shaft in this context. I always assumed that stock shaft is the shaft that comes with the set from a retail outlet.

I'm confused by the use of stock shaft in this context. I always assumed that stock shaft is the shaft that comes with the set from a retail outlet.
I consider a shaft as stock if it can be bought from the company that made the club(s) at no additional charge. Usually that they chose to pair with that specific release.

It definitely doesn't have to be from a retail store or outlet. When you go to a club oem website there's usually 2 tabs. Stock, and Customize.

When fitting joints get clubs that come with a shaft but it isn’t used, what happens to that shaft? They have a side hustle of flipping stock shafts?

If they only offer upcharge shafts, or if they're going to charge me additional for the stock shafts that would come from the OEM at no extra cost, I'm outta there.

I’d be a bit turned off if the only option is non-stock. My gut would be screaming that they only care about upselling me not fitting me into the best option

I don’t have an opinion but there is some irony in everybody being pro stock options until a THP Experience comes with a driver and not a single person stock 🤣

I said yes. If you decide to go there knowing the limitations I think you can get an excellent fit.

I don’t know the answer to this but does Club Champion offer the stock shafts for every head they sell in their fitting matrix?
I never got fit into a stock shaft at CC. Dont buy, turn around and go to Carls and what do you know, a stock shaft (HZDRUS Smoke Red) was actually the best performing shaft for me. Slightly better than the one I was "fit" (an attempted hustle) into at CC. and a couple hundred less. After a couple experiences like that, I drive past a half dozen"fitters" to go to Carl's when I am getting fitted.

Nope, absolutely absurd. The OEM shaft offerings from almost all the major manufacturers nowadays have a plethora of selection to usually get you into something that's going to work for you, vs. adding 1k+ on a custom shaft offering. This is nothing but a scam imo.

Back