If you are not a member anywhere - what makes your “most played” course the one you play more often..?

Proximity. I can hit a golf ball from work and nearly land it on the course.

Tee times are spaced 12 minutes apart and they patrol pace of play.

While our group likes to take advantage of the abundance of courses available in our area, our "home" course is centrally located for our group. Easy on the wallet, usually no problem getting tee times and in pretty good condition. And very welcoming.

Location, it is easy to get to and price is good.

I play the closest 3 munis by me which are normally pretty good and inexpensive. My favorite course is about a 35 minute drive if i lived close i would be a member for sure.

The main course I play at is on my way home from work. If time and weather allows i take the quick detour on the way home to get in at least 9 holes. The course is usually in pretty darn good condition and twilight walking rates are only 14$ It is the best kept secret in the greater Houston area.

Even if I wasn't a member at my course it would be the one I play most often. It's 4 miles from home, 36 holes, has the best price and conditions of the limited options available to me, and it's also where all my friends play.

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to live in Monmouth county NJ and our public courses are amazing. The one I play most is because it's 5 mins from my house and 36 holes. So I can bounce back and forth between courses to keep it different each week.

Proximity. Only 10 min from my house. Course is pretty easy though so it does get a little boring.

It's closer and isn't a goat track.

It's funny how life comes full circle... it's the same golf course I lived on 24 years ago.

I have two keauges there with great people. Course- not bad, not great.

If I were not a member the #1 reason would be condition, #2 cost, #3 would be proximity, followed by accessibility at #4,
It's hard for me to not move those around. There is a course close to me that is in decent shape, but they ALWAYS have an event going on of some kind that precludes people from being able to play very often unless they are in the event.

The greens are always in good shape, and it's close to home.

It's the one I can get on the easiest. It is tougher layout, unforgiving on a poor striking day so it is usually the last course to fill the tee sheet.

It's where I've been playing for the last ten years or so, and where my regular group plays. I've been a member on and off, but find by the time I travel a couple times a year playing only on weekends I can't make the cost of a membership work. The last several years I've bought a package of prepaid rounds which gets my cost down to about $52/round which is almost $20 cheaper than the regular green fee rate. The last year I was a member I tracked my rounds played and my average cost was close to $60/round.

The course also features 27 holes, so usually you won't play the same rotation over the weekend which keeps it somewhat fresh. We also book the first time out so we set the pace of play.

There are 2 courses. Times are reserved from our playing group every weekend from 730am-8am and pace of play is amazing.

Oh yeah, and it's only $35 lol

That's a good question.

Public tee times have been tough to get in DFW post pandemic. I put the tee times together for the group I play with the most and we play all over.

If I look at the courses we played most in 2023 it was a combination of price, layout and conditions. We played a course that was a 30 mile drive for all of us because it's in great condition, has 10 minute tee times (so pace of play is never an issue) and is $75 on the weekend. Too many courses here that we played for $60-$75 for years now charge over $100 on weekends.

And a lot of courses that are in poor to below average condition are charging $50-$70 on the weekend.

We are usually trying to live in that sweet spot of courses that are $70-$90.

A few things, really.....
1. I worked there as a summer job for 20 years, so I still know a lot of people there...owners, workers, and players.
2. It's only about 10-15 minutes from home, so it's very convenient.
3. It's a fun old course to play (built in the 1920's), and has a very good practice facility (and I like to practice!).

Convenience, course maintenance, ability to get t times and cost. I’d say in that order.

The course is at most 10 minutes from my house, it is where my league is, it is a reasonable course for a reasonable price.

I like variety of style of course
Links / Bush etc

But also have to have decent green condition and be able to be accessed

And cost , will travel just to play something special or better , regardless of the cost the memory last forever .

I am a member at one course. I meet a group of guys at another course one day a week. The main reason is because it’s kind of the middle from where the 10/12 of are coming from.

With their rate card and playing after 1PM to get the twilight rate, it's the cheapest par 72 round to be found within 30 miles, so it's mostly economic. But if it weren't a good challenging course in decent condition (130 slope), some other course would be my most-played.

it’s the closest nicest course to me.

Back