I'm thinking, no fairway wood?

I recently ditched my 3 wood for a CLK 2 hybrid and don't see myself going back. Actually, already gave the 3 wood to my son.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

I have a 3W, rarely play it. My 3i hybrid serves me well but is not quite as long.

I’ve been considering ditching the 3W too, however when I hit it well, it really goes well! Or when I need a layup off the tee and I hit it clean...the 3W is perfect.

So I don’t know.

I carry a 3-wood, mostly to tee off with when a driver is not necessary and occasionally when I need it on a par 5 but that is basically it. My next club is a 3 driving iron with a graphite shaft that I can launch high and land soft (when I hit it well that is). I have never been a fan of hybrids and the yardage gap between my 3 and 5 woods isn't sufficient enough to carry the 5 so the 3 iron fits in there nicely.

I don't think the average player has the swing speed to hit a 3W well off the turf. 5W? possibly. 7W? Now you're getting into 20 degree hybrid territory.

Gotta love the Google Search for a topic.

The only club in the bag that I'm not entirely comfortable with, on and off the deck.

In my last 4 rounds of golf I have used the 4W once, and topped the hell out of it about 30 yards in front of me.

3 straight rounds of golf since I've swung it maybe 10 times on the range prior to my round and that's it. It never sees the course, even off the tee. The hybrids are pretty much my go to option off the tee on Par 4s playing 360 or less. I know I'm finding a fairway, I know it's not going to slice, I know it's going to be hit high, and I know it's a club I have full confidence in.

Once again I'm considering just getting the 2H and trading in the 4W and be done with it, ride with 3 hybrids in my bag. The 2H is is about 2 inches shorter than the 4W, obviously the fatter face and raised toe, and I love hitting my 3H and 4H.

Does anyone else simply not bag a fairway wood?

Maybe I just haven’t found the right one, but I’ve really struggled to hit 1 and 2 hybrids. I mean REALLY struggled, especially the 1H. I think it was 14-15*? I got it envisioning wind fighting bullets that would roll for days. The reality was low slices and even lower hooks.

I don’t use my 3+w much, I hit it twice yesterday into long uphill Par 5’s. That was it. I almost never use it off the tee, if I don’t hit driver I generally hit 4i. But it’s a needed club in my bag, i duff enough tee shots that I need something I can hit a decent distance if my duff makes the fairway, lol. My 4h (which goes the same distance as my 5i, man those Epics go far) is my “advance long ways from bad rough lies and chunk out” club. That’s a needed slot in the bag too but not from a distance gapping perspective.

Maybe I just haven’t found the right one, but I’ve really struggled to hit 1 and 2 hybrids. I mean REALLY struggled, especially the 1H. I think it was 14-15*? I got it envisioning wind fighting bullets that would roll for days. The reality was low slices and even lower hooks.

I don’t use my 3+w much, I hit it twice yesterday into long uphill Par 5’s. That was it. I almost never use it off the tee, if I don’t hit driver I generally hit 4i. But it’s a needed club in my bag, i duff enough tee shots that I need something I can hit a decent distance if my duff makes the fairway, lol. My 4h (which goes the same distance as my 5i, man those Epics go far) is my “advance long ways from bad rough lies and chunk out” club. That’s a needed slot in the bag too but not from a distance gapping perspective.
Haha yeah the Epic irons are distance launchers, they're fun.

In terms of this spot in my bag, I am sold after 1 round. The 2Hybrid was a huge weapon on and off the tee Saturday. I swing it the same exact way as my 3H & 4H and let it fly.

I have no idea how far it goes yet. Some approach shots on Par 4s I had 130, some I had 170. Just depended on the wind and it was breezy Saturday. I'll get a better gauge when the summer comes around and it's just nothing but humidity and dead air.

Back