I'm thinking, no fairway wood?

I've currently got a 3w, 5w, 3h setup, but I also have a 7w that I will swap out with the 3h. I'm really struggling with the 3h, it's a Hogan CFT that I picked up last year. There are times I hit it just perfect and the ball streaks out, and then there are the absolute duck hooks to the left. I think I'm doing something wonky with my grip during setup but I'm this close to breaking it over my knee...

However, having the hybrid will occasionally be just right - one one dogleg left par 4 this weekend, I hit the hybrid off the tee, on a low driving approach shot under some treelimbs (kind of a 1/2 swing chip shot for about 70 yards) and then a bump-and-run onto the sloping green from the fringe. Stupid thing worked OK then...

Yeah, at the beginning of this season Nike make AK a 3 wood that he likes a lot. I saw him hit it on #18 this year at the Mercedes-Benz Championship, it ended within a few feet, amazing shot!

The tap-in eagle? Yeah, that was ridiculous.

The tap-in eagle? Yeah, that was ridiculous.

Yeah, that's it! I was standing maybe 20-30 yards from him when he hit that shot. :D

I'll check that out. Does THP have a list of 2 iron hybrids or reviewed 2 iron hybrids? Do all companies pretty much make them?

I believe most make them at this point.

Only for men. :at-wits-end: Even more fun than trying to find a woman's 4W (yeah, I know Nike makes one, but how many different brands do you want me to carry?).

Though its still a lower priority on my list to get it replaced now I'm thinking of getting a 2 iron hybrid instead of a fairway wood after reading everyone's comments. I guess I'm going back to the store to test out some hybrids.

Do you sweep the ball or hit down on it? I hit down on it, so I dropped my five wood in favor of a 3h that I hit the same distance but I can do more with it (I could only hit the 5w right to left, I can cut the 3h if I need to).

I've considered dropping the 3w, but it's my go-to club off the tee when I need to hit a fairway.

thats interesting because i recently read a tip from a pro saying that hitting down on fairway woods leads to more solid shots, which i hold to be true because thats what i do. im actually taking out the 19* hybrid and replacing with a 5 wood. i mean whatever works best for your game is definately what you need, just throwing in a little something here :banana:

Gotta love the Google Search for a topic.

The only club in the bag that I'm not entirely comfortable with, on and off the deck.

In my last 4 rounds of golf I have used the 4W once, and topped the hell out of it about 30 yards in front of me.

3 straight rounds of golf since I've swung it maybe 10 times on the range prior to my round and that's it. It never sees the course, even off the tee. The hybrids are pretty much my go to option off the tee on Par 4s playing 360 or less. I know I'm finding a fairway, I know it's not going to slice, I know it's going to be hit high, and I know it's a club I have full confidence in.

Once again I'm considering just getting the 2H and trading in the 4W and be done with it, ride with 3 hybrids in my bag. The 2H is is about 2 inches shorter than the 4W, obviously the fatter face and raised toe, and I love hitting my 3H and 4H.

Does anyone else simply not bag a fairway wood?

Last edited:
Holy necrothread, Batman!!

I currently own two fairway woods that are in my basement. I carry hybrids now, and when my new-to-me set comes in, that will stay the same. My 1-out-of-10 success rate with FWs is not good. It's dwarfed by my 1-out-of 15 success rate with hybrids.

At times I bag 3 fairway woods. I ditched my 3i for a 7 wood and was the best thing I have ever done. Tried a hybrid to replace the 3i but with no success, but once I bagged the 7w there was no going back. My irons fade (sometimes too much), the woods and driver go straight.

Now I did drop the 3w for a lob wedge, so its just 5w & 7w.

The questions is do I drop the 4i and go all in with a 9 wood?

I play with a 7W instead of a lower lofted hybrid. I carry a 3W to hit off the tee.

My new 3-wood has been in the bag all of a week and a half. So far, in very limited usage, it's not even remotely reliable off the deck. But, I've hit a handful of tee shots that are arguably the best tee shots I've ever hit with a 3-wood.

So, for the time being, I think it's going to be a tee-shot-only club. I realize that means a) it's not getting a lot of usage, since I'm a big fan of the driver. And b) I'm less likely to reach par 5's in two in most cases, but let's be honest, I'm probably not consistently hitting a green at 240 yards anyway. I can slam a 3-hybrid down there (with much more confidence off the deck), and try to get up and down for birdie.

I certainly could go no fairway wood at all. But honestly, hybrids are the exact opposite of fairways for me; totally confident off the deck, but don't love them off the tee. So I think I'm keeping the 3-wood for those handful of tee shots where a driver isn't needed or isn't wise.

Gotta love the Google Search for a topic.

The only club in the bag that I'm not entirely comfortable with, on and off the deck.

In my last 4 rounds of golf I have used the 4W once, and topped the hell out of it about 30 yards in front of me.

3 straight rounds of golf since I've swung it maybe 10 times on the range prior to my round and that's it. It never sees the course, even off the tee. The hybrids are pretty much my go to option off the tee on Par 4s playing 360 or less. I know I'm finding a fairway, I know it's not going to slice, I know it's going to be hit high, and I know it's a club I have full confidence in.

Once again I'm considering just getting the 2H and trading in the 4W and be done with it, ride with 3 hybrids in my bag. The 2H is is about 2 inches shorter than the 4W, obviously the fatter face and raised toe, and I love hitting my 3H and 4H.

I have gone years without using a fairway. I have a 3 wood in the bag now, but use my 2H off the deck almost exclusively. I know you hit one at demo days a while back and didn’t have great results. My advice is to give it a try, you will work out the problems and see results. I hit my 3 wood off the deck the other day on the screws and was only 10 yards further than my 2H. The big difference is that I never worry when I hit the 2H, it is pretty automatic.

Timely thread resurrection, Mr. CobraX.

Fairway woods have been dilemma. They are no longer my friend off the deck. The days of hitting a par 5 in 2 are over. Now it is about heightened course management and wedge play. Strategery!

Thinking for this year. Put a 3 wood in the bag on the courses where I hit it off the tee. Otherwise, bullpen.

Work to master a Heavenwood this season. If it works, that is all I need.

Heavenwood fail.............I'll find the lowest lofted hybrid I can hit.

Ive ha both a 2 iron and a 3 wood in my bag for the last year and I like it now that I’ve learned to hit the 2i. My 3w was my go to club on the fairway and it was my most consistent club since I started playing. The reason I added the 2i is because I can’t hit my 3w consistently out of the rough for any distance and I needed an iron. I hit both about the same distance off the tee so I can play either in that case. So far it’s worked for me and I wouldn’t drop either.

If I’m being honest with myself I pull my FW’s maybe once a round...I’ve pondered this very same question for awhile now. I always come back to what else am I going to put in the bag in place of them.

So they end up staying and taking up space.

Until I got the R9, I was playing without one for about 4 weeks. I used a 2 iron hybrid to lessen the gap.

Lol! I figured it out when I looked at the clubs in your signature, but I was wondering for a hot sec on why you’d throw a 8-10 year old TaylorMade FW in your bag given your access to new gear.

I barely use mine, kind of a wasted club in my bag... but, I only carry 6-PW so I have a bevvy of wedges and hybrids that make up a pretty solid set up

I have tracked statistics for years that back up one depressing conclusion. My average scores will be slightly lower if I leave out every club (except driver) with less than 20 degrees of loft or longer than about 39-1/2". Basically, any club longer than a 4-iron or maybe a 20- or 21-degree hybrid costs me strokes versus being limited to about 170 yards maximum distance for non-tee shots.

There just aren't that many fractions of a stroke I'm going to gain by hitting the occasional dead straight 200-yard fairway wood shot. Not enough to offset the not infrequent duffs or pull-hooks or low toe-jams that occur with low-lofted, long-shafted clubs. I am so wild, so inconsistent and have so many two-way misses that I'm best off just using something like a Super Game Improvement style 4-iron that maxes out at 165-170 yards. Even if it means never, ever reaching a Par 5 in two and even if it means once a round or so on average having to lay up when I'm out around the 200-yard marker in the middle of the fairway.

But I have a 19-degree 3h and a 18-degree 5w anyway. I'll swap one of them into the bag, use it for a few rounds until it costs me a couple stroke-and-distance penalties then it's back to the 12-club set with Driver, then 4-iron at the top of the bag. For a while.

I could easily get away with not using my 3w. I rarely play it on most courses. if i am not hitting driver off the tee on a par 4 or 5 usually would be a hybrid.

Ha, when this thread began, my kids were only 13 and 11 years old.

Now one is a year into his engineering career and the other is graduating college in 2 weeks and continuing on to attain her masters.

...I ditched my 4-wood about 2.5 years ago and haven't ever looked back. 2H gives me about the same distance yet with loads more forgiveness and consistency.

It's been a gamechanger for me, particularly with confidence on 2nd shots into par 5's.

I have gone years without using a fairway. I have a 3 wood in the bag now, but use my 2H off the deck almost exclusively. I know you hit one at demo days a while back and didn’t have great results. My advice is to give it a try, you will work out the problems and see results. I hit my 3 wood off the deck the other day on the screws and was only 10 yards further than my 2H. The big difference is that I never worry when I hit the 2H, it is pretty automatic.
I have literally just pulled the trigger about 5 minutes ago.

My guy from CPO e-mailed me saying a "Very Good" Rogue 2 Hybrid same shaft as my 3 & 4 just arrived in the warehouse. $130 and I'll trade in the 4W for $80.

DONE

I have literally just pulled the trigger about 5 minutes ago.

My guy from CPO e-mailed me saying a "Very Good" Rogue 2 Hybrid same shaft as my 3 & 4 just arrived in the warehouse. $130 and I'll trade in the 4W for $80.

DONE

Good luck. I think you will see an advantage.

I don't carry a FW. I'm really considering a 2H 3H and 4 Crossover setup. Don't hit a 3 wood well most of the time, a 5 wood just doesn't allow me to do everything I can do with a hybrid.

I've only got a 3 wood, which I've been hitting tremendously This year. Then I go to a 3 crossover and 4 iron. 3 wood is great off the tee and deck. Very helpful to have for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back