Improving focus in golf

GoldenBuff

slow horse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
You are playing and in that moment of a swing, a chip, a putt. How do you focus? How can a golfer improve focus?

When I play well, I have better focus. But there are far too many times when I lose focus. Sometimes I'm just tired. Sometimes I can't seem to let go thinking about other people around me. Other times I get into a grind mode, where I get stuck into trying to overpower shots and lose being mindful of the moment. Focus. Elusive. Vital for golf.

I struggle here too. Usually I am fine when playing alone but as soon as some buddies are with me I tend to chat and joke so much I am not at all focused on golf. I think I need to start slowing down when that happens. Maybe take an extra practice swing. I often don’t take any and am not what I would call a slow player so I think this is what I need to do.

I think the only way to really make sure you stay focused is to develop a consistent routine for every shot. When you do that you will start to see improved focus on every shot. It's hard not to focus when you're going through the same steps every shot. I actually have 3 different routines. I have a full swing, partial swing, and putt routine.

One area that I think we as golfers don't focus on his hydration. I noticed when looking at my rounds that my rounds during hot days I often had a larger differential between 9's. For example, I had a series of 4 rounds where I shot high 30's in my front 9 and mid to upper 40s on my back nine. Different courses. The only commonality was the heat and humidity. What I attributed to was not drinking enough water which lost me focus and felt more of the fatigue at the end of the round.

On a per shot basis, I do 2 things. First take a deep breath. Second, envision the shot i want to hit to recenter myself after hopping out of the cart or after finishing a converastion with a buddy or something. Common practice to help flip the switch back to "focus on your swing, dummy" mode.

Last edited:
@DataDude Routine is smart. I've added a formal routine for putting but don't have one for other shots.

@Tevenor Big believer in staying properly hydrated. There are studies showing that mental ability correlates strongly to this.

I am working more on visualizing my shots as a way to focus. Easier said than done. Lately I've made swing changes and spend a lot of my focus on the swing thoughts versus visualizing the shot.

I really struggle with this at times. Then I don’t realize it until after I make my swing. I’ve been trying to figure out the solution to this, which confuses me even more. :ROFLMAO:

@DataDude Routine is smart. I've added a formal routine for putting but don't have one for other shots.

@Tevenor Big believer in staying properly hydrated. There are studies showing that mental ability correlates strongly to this.

I am working more on visualizing my shots as a way to focus. Easier said than done. Lately I've made swing changes and spend a lot of my focus on the swing thoughts versus visualizing the shot.
My routine is as follows if it helps.

I stand about 10 feet behind the ball and review the landscape. I pick a shot then visualize it. Then I pick the line I will try to hit. Next I pick a spot on the ground 3-5 in front of the ball to use for aligning my address. Next I step to the ball and address the ball with that spot. I then waggle which includes check tension in my wrists, shoulders, and knees and knees while reviewing the 1 swing thought I allow myself on the day. Once I feel comfortable I swing.

On putts and partials I always add in a practice swing or 2 to make sure I have the tempo down before swinging. Sometimes on a full shot I will add a practice swing if the lie is abnormal.

I am a bit different when it comes to my golf focus. I do most of my golf focusing during my practices. My focus is to practice correctly, so that my game is more automatic when actually playing.

When playing, my preshot routine is my main focus. It gets me into good mind frame to hit the needed shot.

Sometimes I will focus on my one piece take away, but thats about it.

In between scoring shots, I usually don't focus much on my golf game. I tend to relax between those scoring shots. Just take in whats going on around me.

My best rounds are when I am in the moment and relaxed and just playing the game. When I try too hard to “focus” I tend to get 100 swing thoughts going through my head and fall apart.

I have never been more focused in my life than the island hole in Coeur d’ Alene in the second day and it was the worst swing I think I had in 2019.

A beer or two or more....get rid of the edges.....I just relax after a few brews. When I relax, I stop over analyzing each golf swing....

Routine. And when it starts you have to tune everything else out.

Hydration is huge for focus!!!! Always stay hydrated, the other thing would be to snack as you go. Don't get hungry or let it creep in. These are the 2 biggest IMO.
Other things would be, forget everything on your way to course, being upset about something, forgot something at home. Forget it all and focus only on the task at hand.

For me, alcohol helps tremendously (not joking). Even in college, I would drink 2 beers before every exam or every essay. On the golf course, alcohol sharpens my focus and enables me to play with confidence. It also helps quell the demons that reside in my own mind; seemingly those demons exist solely to f**k up a good golf swing...

I also hit what I call the three beer plateau, sometimes I can ride it until the end of the round. Besides that it’s all routine and fixating on the target.

Having a few sawbucks on the line always helps me focus, unless my give a sh*t factor takes over then Miller Lite comes into play.

I've been trying to work on this the last few months. Seems to be working for me to pick out the dimple on the ball than I'll make first contact and focusing only on that until after its long gone. Helps clear my mind, and keep my eyes down through contact.

I worked on developing a ball striking routine along with swing changes. With the swing change coming along, today I was able to settle into my routine and find a calm focus. In 1.5 hours of hitting, I did not have a single wonky mishit. Now I didn't hit the center of the face every shot, but the contact was solid across the board. Besides setting up in a standard way, I added some breathing ideas my wife recommended and as well as a brief moment where I close my eyes. Seems to give me a mini reset. So good. I can't wait to put my game into real earth-based golfing.

I worked on developing a ball striking routine along with swing changes. With the swing change coming along, today I was able to settle into my routine and find a calm focus. In 1.5 hours of hitting, I did not have a single wonky mishit. Now I didn't hit the center of the face every shot, but the contact was solid across the board. Besides setting up in a standard way, I added some breathing ideas my wife recommended and as well as a brief moment where I close my eyes. Seems to give me a mini reset. So good. I can't wait to put my game into real earth-based golfing.
That is great. Be looking at single digits this year. ?️‍♂️

I do it by leaving the outside world outside of the golf course. When I leave the house and am driving to the course, I stop thinking about all the outside stuff that I need to think about and just focus on golf.
I crank up some music, roll down the windows (if its warm enough) and get my mind in a good place for golf. Then, when Im at the course, other than using the gps app on my phone or taking some pictures for IG, I dont think about anything other than golf.
Also, when I hit a shot, no matter if its a good shot that gives me a good result, a good shot that is unlucky and gives me a bad result, a bad shot that gives me a bad result or a bad shot that is lucky and gives me a good result; I hit the shot and the I move on. I only allow myself about 10 seconds to analyze what went wrong if the shot turns out badly or to celebrate if the shot went went and then I move on to the next one.
IMO, one of the biggest things that takes away focus is worrying about stuff outside of the golf course or over analyzing a bad shot. See it, hit it, analyze it for a second and then move on.

You are playing and in that moment of a swing, a chip, a putt. How do you focus? How can a golfer improve focus?

When I play well, I have better focus. But there are far too many times when I lose focus. Sometimes I'm just tired. Sometimes I can't seem to let go thinking about other people around me. Other times I get into a grind mode, where I get stuck into trying to overpower shots and lose being mindful of the moment. Focus. Elusive. Vital for golf.
If I asked you to focus on something that comes naturally - breathing for instance- how would you go about it? Do you even know how everything works when we breath? In order to focus on our breathing we really need to be aware of how the air travels through our wind pipe through to the lungs etc. Anyway you get the drift. To focus on a discipline we need to be aware of the movements involved. It is awareness through movement in my opinion.

Last edited:
If I asked you to focus on something that comes naturally - breathing for instance- how would you go about it? Do you even know how everything works when we breath?

I focus on my breathing to help detach from the outcome I want or worry about and be present with my body and swing. My approach to breathing is very deliberate and follows a yoga method my wife taught me. I follow the breath.

I focus on my breathing to help detach from the outcome I want or worry about and be present with my body and swing. My approach to breathing is very deliberate and follows a yoga method my wife taught me. I follow the breath.
That's great then you will know that our breathing changes when we hesitate, become interested, startled, afraid, doubtful, make an effort or try to do something - we lose focus. Golf is the same, we need to shut those things out to retain focus.

Last edited:
This is a great topic. Lots of good answers - being in the moment on course, fed, hydrated, overall mental state, music etc.

For me all of these things support having fun and being able to be in the moment. From there consistent shot routines, and being very specific about what you are trying to do with each shot with visualization and target points really helps.

I think a good book on this topic is "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose" and the "Think Box" --> "Play Box" is a good mentality for setting up focus.

The last couple of years I've really struggled with staying focused. I'll be standing over the bank and something will creep in to my head and distract me. It sounds like it's time to develop about actual routine for each shot.

Tune out everything else and tune in to your shot.

Back