Interesting Group I was paired up with today - I am usually a single so I get what I get

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
Usually it's members and all goes well. Not today - I state in advance that I was not angry and I tried to be helpful - where possible. But these kids what a mess - I don't get it.

First off 2 girls and 1 guy - they are all mid-late 20s all friends and all nice the entire 9 holes.

Each of them had a new bag of sticks, full packages all top shelf, Srixon for the guy, one girl played Cleveland and the other played Mizuno. Ordinarily not an issue, but none of these kids it appeared ever played before or knew any of the rules or etiquette. All things that I was happy to accept - sort a whistle while you work kind of thing. I don't get what appeared to be around $5-6k of equipment, matching new bags too, and they went through about 2 dozen ish balls for the 9 holes.

Also they were not from here, rather visiting as noted by "ooooh an alligator, I never saw one before" then they went to get photos, I tried to warn them to stay a reasonable distance and as they got closer the gator went for a swim - no issues.

Ok, now the golf, never played before, no practice swings ever, just hit the ball - nearly every shot was 2 ft off the ground occasionally they hit a nice shot. Often each of them whiffed - multiple times, this would happen 2 to 3 shots per hole for 1 or 2 of them. On the greens, it was putt putt, one started and kept putting until complete - most scores were said aloud - usually 8 or 9. One of the girls did get a regulation 4 on a par 3, the ball never getting more then 3 ft off the ground. Hit out of sand, then just walk out, rakes everywhere but no one used one, and now we are 15 minutes behind so I am not saying squat.

A group of old ladies behind us getting mad, but I was ready to defend these kids so ready to say 'what you never had days like this when you were learning the game?' fortunately unnecessary.

I won't go into the clothes, in detail let's say they were dressed for a cross between the beach and the gym. Shorts either too tight or too short and tops were not supportive - and I was cool with both. The girls were really nice, and the guy was just quiet - he was properly dressed, even had a course hat on.

Anyway, this is the SHORT version - I don't get the equipment and lack of knowledge - I would assume more Sam Snead Blue Ridge starter set or something.

Fun times. Stay well and play well everyone.

Sounds like they won a raffle for some golf gear and this was their first time out

I would have suggested playing a scramble. Or ”let’s tee off and play from the 2nd best ball.” Second best so everyone contributes.

When I am with a group of newbies, I give up any thought of actually playing my game. Oh, and I might break my general guideline of not drinking and playing. 😉

Sam Snead Blue Ridge. My first set.

I might have asked “How often do you play?” Their answers could have opened the door to some etiquette discussions.

But you were remarkably patient.

Not sure if I could have handled that round, to be honest.

Yeah I probably would have talked to them about things to be honest.

Like , the 2 girls in their late 20s in the beach attire for example....I mean I'd for sure want to ask them things like where they were from and what they were up to later.

Sounds like they won a raffle for some golf gear and this was their first time out
That’s possible. Had not thought of any possible reasons. Heck i thought maybe it was all fake!

I would have suggested playing a scramble. Or ”let’s tee off and play from the 2nd best ball.” Second best so everyone contributes.

When I am with a group of newbies, I give up any thought of actually playing my game. Oh, and I might break my general guideline of not drinking and playing. 😉
Good ideas, this being only my 4 th round since surgery i was in my own head. I did try to help them where possible. But it’s a fine line and to be honest, they were having fun so i kept my distance. I did feel weird about the putting and sand, but didn’t want to be the cranky old guy.

Sam Snead Blue Ridge. My first set.

I might have asked “How often do you play?” Their answers could have opened the door to some etiquette discussions.

But you were remarkably patient.
You’re most kind. They were in their own world and i didn’t want to insert myself or interrupt. That sort of made it both easier and harder.

They did see me use the sand bottle and they began using it as well. It was cute so to speak.

@JW Smoove you're a saint my man.

The equipment they rolled with kills me.
I would have never dreamed of buying this year's models when starting to learn the game.

Must be a generation thing or parents with cash to burn.
Head scratcher for certain. Still loving the bag by the way. I’ll try to get a few photos up next time i play. I hope to get there early enough to not rush.

Does Mizuno even make ladies clubs? Sounds like they were on vacation, staying at a place on the golf course, and borrowed their dads' clubs (actual golfers) looking for something to do for the day with no transportation.

Sounds like they were nice kids having fun. And you enjoyed yourself as well. I’d say golf as an institution could use more of that. Regardless of the impatient, angry “old ladies”, I’m not sure that was such a bad day on the course.

Does Mizuno even make ladies clubs? Sounds like they were on vacation, staying at a place on the golf course, and borrowed their dads' clubs (actual golfers) looking for something to do for the day with no transportation.
I briefly thought that but felt they were too old to borrow it was all current year new stuff. I don’t think any of the clubs were ladies you may be on to something.

Mizuno did actually make ladies clubs in the 90s i think. I discussed an iron set i had gotten for my daughter. He recalled them. My sister had them now.

Sounds like they were nice kids having fun. And you enjoyed yourself as well. I’d say golf as an institution could use more of that. Regardless of the impatient, angry “old ladies”, I’m not sure that was such a bad day in the course.
Not “old ladies”. OLD LADIES. Like late 70s or so. One teed off while we were on the green. The hole for them was 115 yards, she used a wood and was 40 yards short!! I was worried she was sending us a message. Turns out she was just really old. I’m old, but not like that, I don’t get pissed playing golf.

Other than that, i agree with your perspective. I will say, it was a lot to take in.

The slow play would have gotten to me. Probably a good thing they did continuous putting ob the green or it would have been even slower.

The slow play would have gotten to me. Probably a good thing they did continuous putting ob the green or it would have been even slower.
That’s very possible.

Mine too, stratabloc construction woods only odd clubs and 2 way putter Circa 1974? Still have the putter!
I bought mine in 1977. Three woods, 2-PW. Had to buy an Acushnet Bullseye putter to compete the set.

The slow play would have gotten to me….
But maybe if we all slowed down a bit and enjoyed the moment and the friends around us, instead of the pressing need to get it over with, maybe we might find our way back to the essence of golf. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I somehow don’t think the originators of this game were worried much about the clock as they hacked their way from one sheep***t, hollowed-out bunker into another. I kinda think the shared community was more important to them than that.

Again, it sounds like the kids described in the OP were having fun. And I can’t find anything wrong with that. 😉

But maybe if we all slowed down a bit and enjoyed the moment and the friends around us, instead of the pressing need to get it over with, maybe we might find our way back to the essence of golf. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I somehow don’t think the originators of this game were worried much about the clock as they hacked their way from one sheep***t, hollowed-out bunker into another. I kinda think the shared community was more important to them than that.

Again, it sounds like the kids described in the OP were having fun. And I can’t find anything wrong with that. 😉
Honestly close to my only issue on the golf course is being responsible for backing up the course. If we are on pace or close, almost anything else is ok. This was borderline as while we’re were indeed slow we were only (usually) 1/2 hills behind the 4 some in front of us.

You were waaaay more engaged than I ever would have been.

Sounds like they were necessarily slow due to being beginners but doing the best they could to keep moving. That kind of stinks but it's something that hopefully you don't get stuck with more than once in a blue moon.

As for what kind of clubs or clothes some random pair-up has, I can't recall that ever being something I cared about.

Not sure how you made it thru this? You're patience is much better than mine, that's for sure. I would have politely said things about etiquette where appropriate. They have to learn somehow. Don't just play willy-nilly & act like you are the only one on the course. I hope it was only for 9 holes. How long did it take?

Back