Interlock Vs. Vardon

What grip do you employ?

• Total voters

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sure this is the 10000% time a thread like this has popped up.

So...which do you subscribe to?

Have you tried both?

What do YOU feel the differences are? Do you see an advantage to one or the other?

I'm a long time vardon guy. Just recently decided to try the interlock on the range, just to see. At first I hated it and thought it felt weak. But the more I mess with it, the more it actually feels a bit more connected and I seem to almost get a different sound out of my irons with it. I need to test it out far more before I consider taking it to the course. Just pondering...

Baseball or Vardon for me. Right now using baseball and I seem to hit much better with baseball overall as it feels more natural to me. Interlock has more moving parts as Moe Norman used to say. Of course he said that about vardon too as he claimed the only grip was baseball type grip. I think he may have used the vardon some though.

I have heard others say that the interlock connects the hands better. I can’t get over how awkward it feels to me.

Like the added stability I get from the interlock grip. I came from 10 finger grip, and its allow me to become more consistent with my irons. Vardon, just felt too disconnected for me.

Note, I still use 10 finger grip in my woods, and it's been good for my game so far this year.

I have heard others say that the interlock connects the hands better. I can’t get over how awkward it feels to me.
Yep, me too. I feel like I am going to break my fingers with that grip.

Same here. Took me a few swings to get the hand of it. But after hitting a good few shots.....it almost started to feel normal. I'm very tempted to make a change. To be honest, as a low single digit....it would be a huge change that I probably shouldn't make.

One thing I like about it, FOR ME, it seems a bit harder to hit the ball left. Which I like. Of course, this is likely just me not being used to how it feels etc.. I hit some serious beauties at the range with the interlock this AM though.

I use a variation of the Vardon grip. I tried the interlock, and even the 10 finger grip. The Vardon grip was more comfortable of the three. That said, I think I could play well using the 10 finger grip.

I say "a variation" of the overlap grip because my grip is more nuetral. The V's formed by my thumbs, and fore fingers point to my sternum, and not to my right side. This is how I need to hold the club to return the club face square to the ball.

For fun, look up, and try Jim Furyk's double (?) over lap grip. I try it every once in a while. It feels like during the down swing the club is going to fly out of my hands, and follow the ball down range. Lag/release feels much different too.

I used to use the interlock for many years. Then I tried the overlap probably 20 years ago and have stayed with it.
It just feels more comfortable to me.

Learned the game using interlock. Switched to overlap about 3 years in and never looked back. I've tried going back to interlock but just don't like it

Grew up in the Nicklaus and Tiger eras, so lots of interlock was taught at the time.
I prefer interlock as it does seem more "stable" to me. Have had some good success recently switching to Vardon if I have some hand/wrist pain I want to alleviate a bit. Wasn't quite as hard to switch as I anticipated, but definitely feels looser in my hands with the Vardon. Kind of in a good way though.
I think they always said the Vardon worked a little better for larger hands/longer fingers.

Interlock for me since that how I was shown when I first started. Funny you say that interlock felt weak at first. When I messed with overlap, I felt the same way, like I didn't have as good of a grip on the club. I only gave it a few swings though. I feel like changing now would be hard but maybe the next time I'm on the range I will give it a shot. Always open to improving lol

I learned the game with the interlock and have tried the vardon and can't do it. Staying with interlock.

Learned the game using interlock. Switched to overlap about 3 years in and never looked back. I've tried going back to interlock but just don't like it

This was me as well.

To be honest, I'm surprised that I'm able to essentially use either grip.

I will say though, the more I mess with the interlock, the more foreign my normal grip feels. Hope I don't mess myself up here! lol

Vardon for me only because I learned that way and anything else feels uncomfortable.

To be honest, I'm surprised that I'm able to essentially use either grip.

I will say though, the more I mess with the interlock, the more foreign my normal grip feels. Hope I don't mess myself up here! lol

The golf gods can be fickle.

In working on the swing pretty heavily this year...I shifted from a baseball grip, to overlap, and now am interlock (which I used to HATE). I tried to go back to interlock one day and just doesn't feel right anymore.

I can use either, but the interlock seems a bit uncomfortable.

I currently use overlap. I’ve used both with similar results. I feel like interlock has potential to provide greater accuracy for me, but it puts added stress on some of the joints in my hand.

i can play all 3 grips and all 3 grips feel fine.
i played interlock for 30 years.
the beginning of the summer i tried overlap and it worked great.
2 weeks ago i had a wild hair up my rear and tried baseball and my gosh does it feel great, i am taking a nice club head width divot, hitting the ball higher, more power and distance out of my driver, its crazy..

I have smallish hands, so just use a baseball grip. Works for me.

I have smallish hands, so just use a baseball grip. Works for me.
Me too on hands....which is why I never liked interlock. Now that I've tried it and worked on that grip at the range, I can't seem to switch back. It's weird. Like I said, I went baseball to overlap which wasn't too hard of a shift...then I tried interlock when feeling like I was needing something different to get on track with my driver....now I can't stop using it.

I was interlock for years and this year I switched to Vardon/overlap. With the interlock wearing the glove my fingers would get beat up as i was probably gripping my club too tight. With Vardon that does not happen

I interlock. Helps me get ride of any fade bias I have.

Back