Iron Classifications

Grogger31

Swing hard, just in case
Reaction score
Handicap
This is a piggyback on JB's Why Blades? thread ...

While I have a general understanding, I'd like to know a little more about the different iron classifications. I hear lots of terms thrown around but I'm not always sure I have the terminology right.

Player's irons? (always assumed these were blades, but apparently not)
Game improvement?
Super game improvement?
Muscle backs?
Others?

Players Irons - No offset thin top line. Blade or cavity back. Used to work the ball.
GI - Slight offset. Thicker topline and sole.
SGI- Much thicker sole and usually more offset.
Muscle Back - blade like with thicker sole on the bottom half of club

Players Irons - No offset thin top line. Blade or cavity back. Used to work the ball.
GI - Slight offset. Thicker topline and sole.
SGI- Much thicker sole and usually more offset.
Muscle Back - blade like with thicker sole on the bottom half of club

pretty much sums it up...

muscle back blades...
miura_blades.jpg

arc_blades_iron_large.jpg

Players Irons... mixed set with a blade

735dotcm_ssteel_i_large.jpg

GI

pageheader_4dxcb.jpg

ssgi

31RU-V0vFFL._golf_.jpg

would these Tour Edge irons be classified as a muscle back?
3216670080_b0e56410a4.jpg

and how about these Tad Moore's? Players Cavity, correct?
3215865281_314959ae51.jpg

LOL mike, "hybrid irons" but good question do they really have hollow heads have to go back to tour edges site maybe it might say truly what.

So you did go with them. I hope that you like them. Careful with them though. The do bang up pretty quick because they really are just high lofted hybrids and the paint on them isn't super strong.

havent got them yet flow I will though before april, you mean the paint on the face of the head chips away? I have 3 cheapo golden bear "Nicklaus" hybrids that I got as a Set from dicks that had the paint chipped away on the edges more than the face after the end of the '06 golf season they are still solidly playable but beat up after just 2 years and the shafts near the bottom close to the head are what they call "pitting" from banging together mainly in my travel bag when we took them to vegas that year, I guess graphite shafts do that, the bazookas come with some decent head covers, I will be using those continously to keep the head damage to a minimum, I suspect they will get beat up over time but I want to slow the process way down, next year I hope to get a bennington bag for them.

Back