Iron sets (what are you looking for)

I love everything about my srixon z965s. If I were to nit pick, I'd want them black and slightly heavier heads

I'm praying for a Srixon Z375 Forged set to be released this year with the following characteristics:
- Z545 shape, ie square toe
- low Z545 offset
- V-sole like the Z355's (close to leading edge)
- Z355 blade length
- Centered CG
- Milled back, no badge
- Tungsten for MOI
- .355 hosel
- Medium-thick topline
- Uber bonus, Weight port toe side to bump SW a couple points if needed.

IMO this would take down pretty much anything offered right now in its size, and would go down as a cult classic like the J40DPC has. Basically if the new P770 had a V-Sole, and centered CG, as those irons look pretty fantastic. I only pay full retail for clubs that really check all the boxes, and this would be one of them.

Last edited:
How happy are you with your current set, and what would it take (performance, feel, look, etc) for you to purchase a new set?

i am really happy with my current irons. I bought them in December after a year of intensive research (geeking out) and I plan to keep them in play for a few years anyway. I like them. I would consider new irons if I wore these out or my game got to a point where having full on players irons would feel better and lower my score.

The Ping homer in me has always liked, but not loved my Callaway Apex irons. The Ping homer in me loves the look of the new i200s, and it wouldn't take much of a push (a few swings more or less) for me to change.

The Ping homer in me has always liked, but not loved my Callaway Apex irons. The Ping homer in me loves the look of the new i200s, and it wouldn't take much of a push (a few swings more or less) for me to change.

Sounds familiar to me.

The only way I would change my irons at this point is if I knew I could eliminate the rogue shot that went an extra 10-15 yards. Most of that is user error so I can't see a reason to change for at least a year or two.

I'm 100% happy with my Srixon Z565/765 combo set and can't imagine finding another iron that checks all the boxes as well as these do.

Totally happy with my Srixon 745's. I'm waiting to see what their next release will be after the 765's in the next year or 2. If and when I upgrade I'll probably go with a combo set of the 900's, 700's and 500's.

I am happy with my current set. To move them out of the bag I would have to have a similar look which for me means not a lot of offset and a thin top line. Pair that with forgiveness and some performance gains without messing with the lofts and I'd be sold. And one other thing. I love a very crisp sound/feel on good hits.

Iron sets (what are you looking for)

I'm relatively happy with my CF16's. They are a little clicky off the face and I'm not overly keen on the satin finish. I'm looking to move back to AP2's which have a better feel and look as far as I'm concerned, if the 718's can give me the same distance (I can't afford to loose a yard of distance LOL).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tech wrapped in a Clean, Classic design, not too much offset.

I actually really like both sets of irons I have right now. I really can't imagine what else I would want.

I have two sets currently and I really enjoy both of them.
Mizuno MP54 with Recoils
The MP54's are gorgeous and classic with a really clean look from the top. The "feel" wonderful especially with the recoils in them. I have found that the dispersion (distance on well struck shots at least) seems to be tighter with these.

The other set are the Callaway Apex with S300
The Apex look really nice too, but a bit thicker on top and at the sole less of a classic finish. The "feel" on these is actually really good as well but different than the Mizzys. A bit more crisp, clicky. Not Titlest clicky (internet golfer alert) but in that direction. I would say there is more lateral forgiveness across the face here. I can miss out on the toe and achieve my desired distance. I have found that I tend to get some real "flyers" high on the face and they are not always as predictable.

I would say over all the Apex are more forgiving, I can definitely get away with more while playing them. I have hit shots way off the toe that I thought were headed for doom and landed on the green pin high. The really strange thing, and I know it is just coincidence and probably due to the fact that I tend to play the Mizuno when I am playing (striking) a little better, but I shot my best two scores last year with the Mizuno.

Back