Is Andy Reid a great coach?

I think it was Mike Ditka that said you can have a player with no talent who is the hardest worker and he is "daydreaming". You can have the most talented guy with no work ethic and it's a "nightmare". Think the same thing is true with coaches in respect to players. Great coach with no talent and you will see mediocre results. Great coach with talent and you will see good results. Look at Phil Jackson - great coach who has had great talent. I think it is fair to say he has maximized the talent he has had with his collection of rings. Another guy Coach K at duke has maximized his talent pool especially when you factor that he has not put great players in the pros for the most part. He has some pro players in the league but not to the extent of a UNC but coach K has 4 national titles and is pretty much a sweet 16 appearance every year. With that said I think you have some pro coaches in any pro sport that are good coaches but fell into tough situations i.e. the mention of Joe Gibbs up above. The coach has to have talent to succeed. Some organizations expect overnight changes or results but America wasn't built in a year. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk.

Holmgren won with Favre. Rhodes, Sherman, and McCarthy couldn't. Did Homlgren guide Favre to the Super Bowl win, or did Favre take Holmgren? The other three couldn't even get there with Favre. Is that on Favre, or the coaches? The guy from the fishing forum that was the inspiration of this thread contends the season the Packers made it to the NFC championship game against the Giants, it was because of Favre and in spite of the coaching. Claims that Favre ran that offense himself, ignoring McCarthy's play calling throughout the year. Of course then Favre played terribly in that game, (as did Al Harris against Burriss) then threw the pick in OT.

Others claim the reason Favre played so well that season was because McCarthy reined him in after all those seasons with Sherman who let him do whatever he wanted, and then the team suffered. He claims Favre's insubordination to the coaching staff made him great. He claims he also did that last year in MN, and several games in when he started ignoring Childress the team prospered.

Those theories/opinions have made for some hot conversations. I think it's bogus. Favre was at his best when coached by a no nonsense coach that didn't put up with the crap. That when McCarthy and his staff reined him in he played well. That's why he wanted out of Green Bay, because he didn't think he needed to be coached. I think as great as Favre could be, he was way too wild to win it all without great coaching.

That's kind of off topic, but addresses how great QBs and great coaches may need each other. I think Bilichek has total control over Brady, though I'm sure Brady has more freedom on the field than earlier in career.

Kevin

Back