Is Glare a Real Problem

I haven't played a truly chromed wedge or set of irons for many years.

Today's satin finishes do an adequate job of toning down glare, IMO. I'll find they may shine a little brightly in direct sunlight but nothing distracting as to qualify as glare.

And my eyes have become very light sensitive over the years, still I've no issues.

This combo is blinding.

Florida sun, white greenside bunker, shinny lob wedge.

#MYEYES

I would say mostly no. I can't remember actually being blinded to the point I couldn't see well enough, like glinting off the flat face. Being picky, a polished chrome finish might glint of the edges a little more, but I think its pretty rare to get a full eye worth of reflection.

I have seen a lot of posts lately talking about having issues with non-matte or non-black finishes causing glare issues when playing.

As someone who bounces around in finish and clubs, I really can't remember the last time I had a problem with glare on a club. Obviously there's always that ONE shot every once in a while that sends the light orb of hell into the eyes for a minute, but I don't know that I've ever had a consistent problem with it.

Thoughts?
Never really notice club glare at all, but I do notice when the sun is burning my eyes when I am teeing off directly into the sun :eek:

Never really notice club glare at all, but I do notice when the sun is burning my eyes when I am teeing off directly into the sun :eek:
Maybe my LEAST favorite shot in golf.. the one looking directly into the sun.

I think I close my eyes before impact hahahaha

Maybe my LEAST favorite shot in golf.. the one looking directly into the sun.

I think I close my eyes before impact hahahaha
There is one course me and a golfing buddy plays and if you play it during February during a certain time of day it has one hole that is basically impossible even with strong sunglasses on. You are hitting up hill directly into the sun. Unless you know exactly where you will hit the ball, you are running around guessing. It is the one hole we end up frequently dropping a ball for the second shot even if well hit, simply because we cannot find the dang ball.

There is one course me and a golfing buddy plays and if you play it during February during a certain time of day it has one hole that is basically impossible even with strong sunglasses on. You are hitting up hill directly into the sun. Unless you know exactly where you will hit the ball, you are running around guessing. It is the one hole we end up frequently dropping a ball for the second shot even if well hit, simply because we cannot find the dang ball.
2nd hole at my course, every morning at the 'right' time.
8th hole at my course, every evening at the 'right' time.

Sun right into your soul as you go to tee off haha

More so this time of year when the sun is lower in the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant recall if I have ever had an issue with glare

Sometimes it can be a momentary issue but then the shot is over with and I moved to the next one.

I've never noticed glare off a club before. Of course now I'm definitely going to notice it on something :LOL:

When I had the Toulon Indy, the glare off it it was pretty bad. This was when they first came out, and they fixed the problem, so I think it was only for very early models. And, they also fixed the issue on my putter, for the cost of shipping it back to them. It came back and was fine, and also had a nice hand written note from Sean Toulon and a dozen ChromeSofts.

Consistent problem no, but once in a while yes, and when it happens I hate it!

Last season I had the one and only shot that I ever had glare on. Caught me off guard, but has never happened again

I can only recall once this season standing over a wedge shot and being a bit blinded by glare. It was late afternoon and it just happened to be the perfect storm of sun height and direction for it to happen. Last year was the first time I went away from a raw/darker finish on my wedges and I went back to a darker finish for this season, but not directly due to that one shot.

Back