Is numbering Irons obsolete?

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
Been reading a lot and have been watching a lot of YouTubes with reviews of clubs and as we know that there is no industry standard, and that a trend seems to be going towards stronger lofts, is the number on the club now obsolete?

I was just watching a Rick Shiels vid and he was testing the Callaway Rogue X irons and the 7i he was testing was the same loft as his 5i according to him. He was crushing a 7i almost 200 yards!

Should manufacturers now just put the loft on the club instead of giving it a number? Thoughts?

Hogan tried than and, apparently, it confused people so much they changed back.

I did not know that! Wow.
They did that with 2 models. The one that is still in production, the PTx, still has the loft stamped on the sole but now has the iron number laser etched on the back of the hosel. And, BTW, they are fantastic irons!

pretty much. And the loft doesn't really matter that much to me either, but maybe I am weird like that. I really just need to know how far I personally hit each club in my bag. If I have that, I am golden.

pretty much. And the loft doesn't really matter that much to me either, but maybe I am weird like that. I really just need to know how far I personally hit each club in my bag. If I have that, I am golden.
I agree with this smart man. I have no problem putting my 8 iron inside of other people's PWs when hitting from the same location.

They should just stamp random names on each club.

That or number each club starting @ 1 for each set.

They did that with 2 models. The one that is still in production, the PTx, still has the loft stamped on the sole but now has the iron number laser etched on the back of the hosel. And, BTW, they are fantastic irons!

Two rounds with my new PTx and I can 100% agree that these are just awesome irons. The loft stamped on the bottom doesn't bother me in any way, I think most people would easily get used to it as its really not that hard to adjust imo. I like the lofts being "traditional", for me at least it makes the distances very predictable and I really don't care what club others hit. Golf is a game of how near and not how far...

Two rounds with my new PTx and I can 100% agree that these are just awesome irons. The loft stamped on the bottom doesn't bother me in any way, I think most people would easily get used to it as its really not that hard to adjust imo. I like the lofts being "traditional", for me at least it makes the distances very predictable and I really don't care what club others hit. Golf is a game of how near and not how far...
Well said sir. I use numbered iron covers so club selection is no big deal for me.

Hogan tried than and, apparently, it confused people so much they changed back.
I wouldn't say it confused people, people just like having number on their irons.

I'm guessing here, but I'd say most people don't know what lofts their irons are, other than wedges.

I’m a proponent of numbers. Even if they had lofts doesn’t launch, CG, and stuff factor into how far you might hit it?

All I need to know is which club goes what distance. I don't care what that number on the bottom of the club is. To me, it's easier to remember the associations between number 3-11 than the lofts.

Yep just give me a number and I will remember how far it goes. I know what the lofts are, but it isn't important to me.

I don't see them ever being obsolete because numbers are just easier. It's what everyone is used to and there really isn't any reason to just throw that simplicity and familiarity away. It really doesn't matter what the particular number is on a club so long as the golfer know whats that particular club provides.

I also like numbers as well. Only thing I would like more is if I could somehow personally stamp the yardage I hit each iron on the bottom instead of the number.

Went from Ping iE1's to G700's for a short while and had to remind myself that if I would normally hit a 6 iE1 that was a 7 G700. Moved to P790's now and the long irons are about the same a few yards shorter than the G700's and the shorter irons are about 1/2 club longer than the IE1's. 5, 6 & 7 are a good full club longer.

I also like numbers as well. Only thing I would like more is if I could somehow personally stamp the yardage I hit each iron on the bottom instead of the number.

That can be done quite easily. The only thing that would cause problems is if you gained yardage over time. What would you do then? Cross it out and stamp new yardages? Buy new clubs?

I think someone should put the headweight on the head! I think that would more closely correspond to manufacturers across the board than loft anyway. :clown:

That can be done quite easily. The only thing that would cause problems is if you gained yardage over time. What would you do then? Cross it out and stamp new yardages? Buy new clubs?

I’m a fan of new irons lol. Gives me the excuse I need to pull the trigger ha.

Yes. The fashionable terms are:

Driving Iron
Cleek
Mid Mashie
Mashie Iron
Mashie
Spade Mashie
Mashie Niblick
Pitching Niblick
Niblick

What goes around comes around. OEM's --> try to keep up!

Driving Iron
Cleek
Mid Mashie
Mashie Iron
Mashie
Spade Mashie
Mashie Niblick
Pitching Niblick
Niblick

I think you forgot the spoon. Wait, never mind. That's a wood.

...To me, it's easier to remember the associations between number 3-11 than the lofts.

Single digits will always be the easiest. Call them A, B, C, D, E, F, & G wouldn't matter a bit.

What he said. I just want to know where I'mma hit the club.

Doesn't matter if it's ABC or easy as 123, or named Tina, Joan, and Patty. As long as I know that Tina's gonna get me around 100 yards, it's gravy.

Driving Iron
Cleek
Mid Mashie
Mashie Iron
Mashie
Spade Mashie
Mashie Niblick
Pitching Niblick
Niblick

This actually works for my set up. Except the pitching niblick would be my 54*.... so might have to switch that one around.

Back