is playing the same course all the time one of the negatives of a membership

I don't think so. I really liked the fact that, after I struck up a relationship with the grounds crew, that I could get there before hours and get a round in before the course opened. Now if everyone tried to do that, they would no doubt cut down on such practices, but membership has other perks sometimes as well. Having a membership didn't mean I didn't play other courses, it just meant I got to play more golf in total.

When I had a membership, my club had 3 courses. I would mix up my 18 and it was always a challenge for me. I never had an issue playing the same three courses. The pins was moved regularly.

When I had a membership, my club had 3 courses. I would mix up my 18 and it was always a challenge for me. I never had an issue playing the same three courses. The pins was moved regularly.

fwiw, 3 courses wouldnt really be any so called issue vs if it were just one.

I am a tad surprised more of you are not finding the "always same course" thing to be any issue. I think many of you (as been indicated by a number of you) are simply saying the other things about being a member are outweighing this one thing.

Its just strange though as I dont play as many rounds as many of you and I utilize 5 courses. Thats less rounds and they are mixed up at different courses and still I can find being on one of them for too many rounds in a row requires a change of scenery and feel. I suppose when we pay for something it makes us feel differently about it.

There are two kinds of memberships I suppose. One in which is mostly simply about the golf cost vs rounds played. Some of you seem to have found a place like that which just makes it very worthwhile to get the most value out of your golf dollars. Then there are the other CC memberships that come along with sort of a lifestyle (for lack of a better word). Not really being cost effective from strictly a golf cost factor but offering you the amenities,lifestyle, and services you find appealing and are willing to pay for.

There is one place by me which I gave some thought to. Its about 8 or 9,000 per year. Plus you need to spend "x:" amount per month at the club and you must pay 30 for a cart every round. The cart thing is ridiculous imo. This whole thing from a good financial golf sense view makes none at all. I mean even if I played that much golf I would still pay 30 everytime out for a crat which i dont want to use and is not much less than what a round outside cost me anywy. So no matter how I would try to slice it, If I ever joined it would never be something that made good financial sense at all from strictly a cost per golf round view. And id be stuck at the same course even though it is a very nice one. If i did this (if affordable for me) Id be paying much more for a lifestyle than strictly a golf purpose. Im not of the financial status to take that on. And this is one of the cheaper ones in my area. If i did have that kind of disposable income Im just not sure id pay that anyway. I suppose its just all subjective and what any one individual feels is worthy or not to do. My county courses are pretty nice and we dont suffer from 5 hr rounds but only rarely. And i get to play 5. Just makes little sense to do otherwise unless I wanted and could afford to pay for the lifestyle vs strictly the golf.

I have a friend that is a member there. has invited me a couplke times on his dollar and another couple times I paid my way. Its guest fees 90+30 (for the stupid cart) = 120.
But other than that we really cant play together. His cost basically ties him up there. The logic....."why should i play elsewhere when Im paying for this club". And i understand that of course. And I certainly cant pay 120 there when i could play 3 to 4 rounds out on my county courses for that same fee. So that is one draw back at least where he and I are concerned as for playing together.

But there are times I do know that he does miss playing different courses. Its not like he couldnt afford to leave his club to go play outside anyway, but because of what hes invested there its hard to justify paying anything to play anywhere else just for the sake of change. They are not that well off as some the other member might be and so cost and worthiness is still something that weighs in and so its harder for him not to play there all the time than it might be for some others. And this is actually also one place where as i have (as mentioned) ran into people out on my county courses that use to be members of a club but felt theyd rather play the county courses. They get to mix it up without being always the same course and its more cost effective from strictly a golf per round view. That said it is possible some were not really of the financial status to keep going with the membership and hence realized it wasnt as cost effective as they thought or that they werent really getting their moneys worth. So that issue may have its place as well. IDK just interesting is all.

My Wife and I discussed the idea earlier this year. There is a private club about 10 miles from our place (the town north of us), and membership cost isn't bad. What really turned us away - for now - was the notion that we're really not playing much golf right now, so it wouldn't really benefit us financially at the moment. We probably will join once we're done with the big projects at home (remodeling a small farm she inherited). We talked about the idea that we'd be playing mostly one course, and neither of us were really bothered much by the idea. There are really only two courses we've been playing much anyway, and we can always go get in a round at one of them for any desired change of scenery.

It's not like you're locked into that course only and can't play anywhere else. Even if 90% or more of my rounds were at a single course that I enjoy, I can't see hating it.

My club has two 18-hole courses, and they're pretty different.

It's also a Club Corp club, meaning I have reciprocal privileges at other Club Corp courses......though I haven't really utilized that yet. I am going out to play the Dinah Shore Tourney Course at Mission Hills next month....for a cart fee.....so that's cool.

But back to my home club; 2 courses makes a big difference in my opinion. If I play the same course 3 times in a row, I'm ready for a change. But I don't need 3, 4, or 5 different courses either. Just playing North after having played South a few times -- or vice versa -- is enough of a change to keep me happy.

Playing the same course all the time has never been an issue at any course or club I’ve belonged to. I think you have to like or enjoy the course to a certain degree for that to be true. Pin positions, tee locations, weather all contribute to making each round unique no matter how much you play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like someone else said, I am not good enough to get bored with 1 course because I am almost never in the same spots off the Tees like a consistent player might be.
I also like having that Local knowledge you get from playing 1 course often.

I do not belong to any 1 course but would if I could justify it.

The pros of membership far out weigh the cons (free range/practice facility, extremely friendly pro staff and grounds crew, easy scheduling, etc). Never really felt tied down even though I play the same 18 holes a couple times a week. I still play other courses, but for me there is comfort in playing a familiar place. Like someone else said... I am still challenged every time I play.

Back