is playing the same course all the time one of the negatives of a membership

I have a home course membership where I definitely picked up a few bad habits.. it's so wide open if I slice a ball a recovery shot could still be on in 2

But this year I focused on smart play and it helped me play better on un/less-familiar courses.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We're very fortunate with our memberships because there are 2 courses in town that are included and probably another 6-8 within an hour or so of us that are also included. If we get tired of playing the home track we can pretty easily get to another course and it won't cost us anything other than gas and a little more time.

I've been a member at my course for about 5 years now. I guess an advantage I have is that it's three 9s so depending on the turn it will mix things up a bit. Also, like you said I do rotate through the different tee boxes as well. Lately I've been playing off the reds with my wife and it's been a blast. I'm not trying to drive every green, instead playing the hole using positions on the course for my second shot to force me to use clubs I normally wouldn't.

The other bonus for me is that they store my clubs and I have a locker. I literally can walk up any time I want and get out on the course. Sure it has the feel of pretentiousness, but as you said I do pay good money and with my schedule I can't always plan my outings. Now this does pinch me if I happen to be out with friends and we make a late night decision to play course "X" in the morning, I've been rushed to grab my clubs then haul ass across town to where we're playing.

Another plus for me is the discounts when ordering clothes or gear. They have full fitting set ups with most of the major brands and shaft options, so as long as I can get them a little heads up, we can get on the range with trackman and compare current vs new.

But I would say in the end, for us the tipping point of being members it's the staff and other members. We've become good friends with quite a few of them, friendships that extend past golf.

Agree with all of this. I always thought exactly what the title of this thread asks, but after 4 years at the same course can say it is worth every penny. Friendships, access, regular 'game', etc. Couldn't go back to scrambling to find a weekend tee time or playing at 1pm on a Saturday and losing the whole day to one round because that's all that was available.

So I am different than the majority of these people. I most frequently play a course in a retirement community. It is 319 bucks for unlimited golf from March through October. It is a very easy, 9 hole retirement community course whose main defenses are narrow fairways and greens that tilt pretty heavily back to front. Two holes have sand, one has water, 6 have trees including one with a tree in the middle of the fairway.

I play it a ton. And it never bothers me. I can go out one day and try to hit every tee shot to 150 yards or to 125 or to 100ish yards if there is something I want to work on. I can tee off to leave myself 200 out if I want to work on my 5i or 6i. I can try to hit nothing but draws or nothing but fades. One day I can chip everything, another day try to flop and drop everything. And instead of being at a practice facility, I am keeping score on a course and usually golfing with a friend.

Then on the weekends I go to real courses and play and find the work I did pays off. I used these rounds as the basis for my rounds at courses like Chambers Bay, Whirlwind, Edgewood in Tahoe and even though it is an easy course I have played hundreds of times, it did not get boring because I can picture how it affects how I play the holes I have not seen at the real courses.

I love it. Cheap golf (this year injuries have kept me from playing a lot) in this is costing me $8/62/9 holes so far this year and it has not kept me from getting to play nearly 15 distinct courses this year across 4 states. If it were the only course I played...I would spend some money to play a better course where I used my driver more than once every 5 or 6 rounds. Actually, I often tee off on 1 and 9 with the driver, and other than that I work on teeing off with my irons. But that is an aside.

As for it traveling...weirdly, even though it is an easy course, it helps me typically play BETTER than my handicap elsewhere, possibly because the one downside, the houses adjacent to all but 1 hole, mean I have learned to keep the ball in a relatively narrow area and, nearly as important if not more so, I know how far I hit my clubs. I cannot tell you how many times I watch the guys I play with, who have never electronically measured their distance, on an unfamiliar course pull the club they "know" they hit that far and leave it 30 yards short or 40 yards long...

In a perfect world, I would play a course once and move on to the next one. But in a world where my money and time are limited...I love the unlimited membership so much that my wife, who is always looking at change for the sake of change, often starts her "hey, what if we moved to..." with "and this course has a membership"

I didn't have a private membership from age 30 until I was 45 and I will never go back to muni/public golf again. For me the negatives of playing public golf(slow play, conditions, ability to get tee times, etc.) would have me playing a lot less golf. I also play at least 12-15 other courses during the year other than my home club, mostly at other private or resort courses. When playing other courses, it reminds that the quality of the greens and the comradarie at my home club are truly something special.

It used to bother me but I only have 3 courses to choose from. All of them are about the same conditions, but 2 are way more pricy compared to the military course I call my home course.

Now that I have a solid groip of guys I play with, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm lucky to get to play a lot on the road when I travel so that helps as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So right now I’m playing a public course because my course is closed on Monday. The pace of play is like watching paint dry. More reason for a private course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for me.
I know ill get great conditions.
I know I'll get great pace of play.
And i know my hadicap will travel as the course is rated higher than most public ?and some private) courses

The first Club I belonged to I really enjoyed the layout. Generous driving areas but challenging as well. I played over 100 rounds some years and around August the monotony would get to me somewhat. I'd just take a couple weeks off and then it was fine. It wasn't a factor in me leaving that club, i'd still be there if it was still private.

Now the last club I belonged to I never really liked the layout much. It was playable but just....bleh. I'm no longer a member there and while the same ole course stuff isn't the only reason, it is a factor, with that course.

FWIW, overall the benefits of a private course far outweigh the negatives such as course boredom, If and it's a big If the track is enjoyable and has some character.

I’m thinking about joining a private club for a few reasons. Quality of course. Ease of getting a tee time. Ability to just go after work or random times and just play a few holes with my kids (this is most important of all). Plus having a pool is a huge bonus for the wife and kids.

I'm not currently a member. There is a very nice Donald Ross course about 8 minutes from me that is the only fully private course in the area. The last two years I've almost pulled the trigger on it. First year would cost me right around 4k for full family membership, all in. Subsequent years would be in the 6k range. Maybe just a few hundred less. It's a lot of money for us, but I've probably paid 4k this season in greens fees. Almost every round I play I have my kids with me so I'm paying for a threesome at minimum pretty much wherever we go.

There are a couple things that hold me back. This CC has a lot of leagues and events at the times we'd typically be playing. I don't want to be blocked because we're not part of the league, etc. Weather is another HUGE concern. I'm off work on Thursdays 90% of the time. The summer of 2017 there was not 1 Thursday all summer that I took my kids golfing. Not one. It thunderstormed every Thursday the entire summer. Thursday mornings are already out there due to a ladies league.

It's a fantastic course I just worry that the times I'd be able to go that the events and weather would prohibit a lot of them. Throw in spring sports for the kids and if I can't get them out on it at least 30-40 times during the season it just wouldn't make sense. They do have a great practice area and an indoor sim (don't know availability during the winter). The two oldest are set to be high school golfers next year and with the practice area, a head pro and two assistants on staff, this may be what finally swings my decision. I also Golf a lot with my dad and he won't buy a membership there. Guest fees are almost what I pay for the kids and I do playing with him very often there would be out.

This decision is tough, I really don't know what to do. It'll become an easier decision if my 13 y/o progresses at the rate he has the last year. If nothing else getting him involved there will improve his chances later on of being as good as he can be. Whether that be scholarships, or ??? It's too early tell. I do know that I'm excited as to what the future holds. If I have to spring for the CC membership, I'll do it happily.

My "sort of" membership includes three courses but I still play well over half my rounds at courses other than those three. I just enjoy playing as many different courses as I can. That said, I have seriously considered joining the private course closest to me (Millwood). I'd love to have unlimited access to the great practice facilities there, the pace and conditions are great, and it's also home course to some of my favorite local golfers. Part of the reason I haven't joined is just what you asked rollin. If I was investing that much at Millwood, I'd probably play at a lot fewer other courses. My "sort of" membership keeps all my options open because it's really just a pay ahead scheme. Any unspent money in my account rolls over to the next year and I get my golf, practice, hard goods, soft goods, food, etc... at a nice discount when I spend from my account.

Last edited:
Now this does pinch me if I happen to be out with friends and we make a late night decision to play course "X" in the morning, I've been rushed to grab my clubs then haul ass across town to where we're playing.

Time for a 2nd set?

I agree with others have said about the benefit of playing less than 18 holes. Most days I walk 9 for my lunch break since I work from home and the course is 2 miles from my house.

I’m thinking about joining a private club for a few reasons. Quality of course. Ease of getting a tee time. Ability to just go after work or random times and just play a few holes with my kids (this is most important of all). Plus having a pool is a huge bonus for the wife and kids.
Silver lake?

If I lived in Tampa I would be joining with you, great Courses and being able to move around is even better. The other Course I would seriously consider is where Super Pudge is a member, that was one fun Course and the people seemed really nice.

Otherwise I think I would get stir crazy looking at the same ground all the time, but then again if it is really nice place I guess you could just switch up the tees and make it interesting.

I have a Club Corp membership.

I'm actually pretty happy with it.

I have a home course, but have nearly identical priveleges at three other local courses as well.

My home course has two 18 hole courses--and one of the others has three 9 hole courses.

So easy access to 99 holes locally is a pretty good deal.

None of these are close to being THE private spots in the region--but they are all well maintained with excellent greens.

I would feel a bit confined just playing one course over and over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Silver lake?

Yeah, that’s the one. My new neighbor and his wife are members, another friend joined last year, and my bosses boss just joined as well.

And I’ve yet to golf there, lol.

I do know last year they had a deal for a full junior membership, around $240 a month, only pay cart fee (no food minimum). Not sure what it jumps up to after I turn 40 this summer.

I'm not currently a member. There is a very nice Donald Ross course about 8 minutes from me that is the only fully private course in the area. The last two years I've almost pulled the trigger on it. First year would cost me right around 4k for full family membership, all in. Subsequent years would be in the 6k range. Maybe just a few hundred less. It's a lot of money for us, but I've probably paid 4k this season in greens fees. Almost every round I play I have my kids with me so I'm paying for a threesome at minimum pretty much wherever we go.

There are a couple things that hold me back. This CC has a lot of leagues and events at the times we'd typically be playing. I don't want to be blocked because we're not part of the league, etc. Weather is another HUGE concern. I'm off work on Thursdays 90% of the time. The summer of 2017 there was not 1 Thursday all summer that I took my kids golfing. Not one. It thunderstormed every Thursday the entire summer. Thursday mornings are already out there due to a ladies league.

It's a fantastic course I just worry that the times I'd be able to go that the events and weather would prohibit a lot of them. Throw in spring sports for the kids and if I can't get them out on it at least 30-40 times during the season it just wouldn't make sense. They do have a great practice area and an indoor sim (don't know availability during the winter). The two oldest are set to be high school golfers next year and with the practice area, a head pro and two assistants on staff, this may be what finally swings my decision. I also Golf a lot with my dad and he won't buy a membership there. Guest fees are almost what I pay for the kids and I do playing with him very often there would be out.

This decision is tough, I really don't know what to do. It'll become an easier decision if my 13 y/o progresses at the rate he has the last year. If nothing else getting him involved there will improve his chances later on of being as good as he can be. Whether that be scholarships, or ??? It's too early tell. I do know that I'm excited as to what the future holds. If I have to spring for the CC membership, I'll do it happily.

What’s the Donald Ross course by you?

I caddied at one for about 5 years growing up, and it was one of the nicest courses around. Congress Lake Country Club. (Hartville)

If I lived in Tampa I would be joining with you, great Courses and being able to move around is even better. The other Course I would seriously consider is where Super Pudge is a member, that was one fun Course and the people seemed really nice.

Otherwise I think I would get stir crazy looking at the same ground all the time, but then again if it is really nice place I guess you could just switch up the tees and make it interesting.
Agreed.

Buckhorn is great. I'd also give Carrollwood a hard look if I decided to go in a different direction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My home course gets most of my play but I can play any city course for free including my home course

No. I'm 5 minutes away and at this point in my golf career I like playing a course that I am familiar with. The challenge is still there.

Yah, Personally I don't like being tied down to a single course. I like playing a variety of courses whenever I want to. It's gets a bit boring for me playing the same course week in and week out.

What’s the Donald Ross course by you?

I caddied at one for about 5 years growing up, and it was one of the nicest courses around. Congress Lake Country Club. (Hartville)

Westbrook CC (Mansfield). I spent a summer of hell there as an (wholly unqualified) Asst Pro about 20 years ago. I was drinking buddies with the Head Pro who sponsored me in a PAT after I'd played with him a few times. I passed and that was the extent of my training. I didn't realize that I was getting myself into a 6 day a week job where the hours were an hour before sunup to an hour after sundown. Different story for a different time....

Back then it was much more exclusive. There was a 10k initiation for starters (nothing compared to some of the super high end courses, but an unfathomable amount for me back then) and most of the members you would recognize by their last names as being area leaders in business.

It's much more affordable now. No initiation and even a deal for your first year. If they didn't tack on F&B and Capital Improvements to it which raises it by almost 50% again, it would be a really easy decision. If the kids give up other sports (I don't tell them this, but it's really about the only way it would be worthwhile) I'll almost certainly join. As it is I spend the spring and first half of summer busy as heck running them and coaching baseball.

It definitely bothers me. It bothers me more as I play more.

When it was once a week I paid the membership to get my handicap and avoid the weekenf booking hassles.

Playing twice a week on the same course can drag after a while, and i reckon you do get complacent. Having said that if you can join a club with reciprocal then you can mix it up a bit.

I make sure I get out somewhere else at least once a month just to keep it fresh.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Back