Is there one club (or more) in your bag that gives you grief?

Scott F

I Putter Around
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
In my bag, it’s my 60* wedge. Before a month ago, my highest lofted club was. 55* sand wedge but my usual chipping club was a 50* approach wedge. I bought a Vokey SM7 and have been trying unsuccessfully to get it to work as intended. Most of my short game practice has been devoted to figuring it out. I’m just not consistent enough with it yet to trust it. Yesterday, I had 3 holes with double bogeys and all 3 were could have been avoided if I’d have made even a reasonable shot with the 60. I’m considering leaving it out of the bag, but if I don’t keep using it, I’ll never get as good with it as my other wedges. What club contributes most to your downfall?

None. If it gives me grief, I replace it.

3 wood and has been awhile. For sure need an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6iron, I can smash it off the tee, but gives me fits off the deck lately.

3W has been a weakness for many years. It's just my weak club in the bag no matter how many I have tried. Just a shaft length/head size thing.
Prior to that would have been 60 degree wedge, which I backed down to a 58 and have better luck.

I would say my putter gives me the most grief. Just not confident standing beside it. 😩

On any given day every one can be the hero or the goat

Thankfully, not really. The only club that is close is one of my favorite clubs as well, my 4W. I go to it in some situations where I probably shouldn't, and those shots can be pretty poor.

I never made the transition from persimmon fairway woods to metal fairways woods all that well.

Sounds kind of dumb since one of my favorite shots to hit is a cut driver from the fairway?

4 iron, don't use it much and when I do the shot usually is not that good. It is in line to be replaced by 4 hybrid

Not over the long term. If there's a club that on balance costs me strokes every time I have it in the bag then I get rid.

But in the short run there's always one that seems to misbehave. All mental, of course. I have pulled and pull-hooked so many darned pitching wedge shots into trouble these last few weeks it take a lot of self-control not to just toss it into a pond somewhere. But no doubt what happened was, just by chance I yanked a couple in the same round then it got in my head and before you know it I'm missing greens by 20 yards with that club because I'm convinced I can't hit it straight.

One day soon I'll knock a couple shots stiff with it and PW will be my favorite club in the world!

3W for me at the moment, but it is definitely all me and not the club

Usually it’s my 5i because I have problems sometimes hitting my lowest irons. Actually pured one off the tee last time out which was first time using iron off the tee in a few round and got a little confidence back.

Hybrids. Sometimes I hit them like a dream, but many times it’s an incredibly frustrating two way miss. And my wedges are ok, but I’ve just never really meshed with them.

yes. I developed some sort of block with my 5W and 4H. They got replaced by a 4i, and i'm hitting that much better. at some point, I'll revisit the 5W and try to regain the ability to hit it. but for now, it's ballast. The 4H remains, in case I want to Chut with it.

My 20* Adams hybrid. I am not consistent with it. I will hit 3 really bad shots and then 2 ridiculously great shots with it.

For the last few weeks it's been my driver, hands down. This year I have been able to walk up to the Tee Box without much thinking and just drill the ball down the Fairway. Now something has gone wrong in my swing and I can't keep it in play hardly.:(

I’m with @Snickerdog on the 6 iron. I have no idea the issue but I consistently hit 6 iron on the toe leading to a pushed and many times short shot. I don’t have the same issue with other irons. Seems to not matter whether I’m hitting off the tee or from a fairway lie...I’m catching the ball on the toe. o_O

I've had a persistent 6i range issue lately, but I don't think it's the club. Sounds like I'm not alone in that. Problem is all relative, but my GIR at that spot is lower than it should be when compared to the rest. My guess is it's an aggressiveness issue that needs adjustment more than a club one.

this summer it was the putter, i was hallucinating for a couple months on some bad stuff, finally kicked that habit and am back to a blade..

At any given time, my own swing can give me grief with any club I use.

However, in the spirit of the question the OP provided, the club I have least confidence in, is my 5W.

I have to really, really focus when using this club. I have a problem getting the ball up in the air with it.

The problem is a lot like a shanked short iron, in as much that the low, worm burners just show up out of no where.

More than once, instead of using my 5W, I have gone with a choked down 3W.

Some might say get rid of it. Probably sound advice. The opposite issue is that when I do hit a good 5W shot, it's a great shot saver.

hybrid....we have a love/hate relationship.

Yep, I have stretches where I'm hitting laser beam shots with them and then without warning they switch to a choice of (a) snap hook or (b) blocked 20 yards right.

3 wood.. That is way for a few years I did not carry one. I went driver 2 iron for 3-4 years I think.

This can depend and none really give me grief. Ones that challenge me, I would go with Driver, 3w, or longer hybrids. The rest I am fairly consistent with.

Back