Is this the real OWGR?

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
Is Vegas odds really the best ranking system? I mean. They get it wrong and they lose money.

I see that more as power rankings

Basically

Some to high and some to low so yeah.

No. Vegas does not rank who they think will win. They rank bettors bias in order to maximize profits.
But wont people be betting who they think will win based on money they will be spending?

Definitely not, too much of the odds are based on public perception and rooting interest. I know when I'm betting for fun I want to pick the guys I want to win.

Just to cherry pick take a look at Jordan Spieth. He's 16th in OWGR which doesn't include LIV, and is 17th in DataGolf which includes LIV, but is around 6th on the odds sheet. I'd say that difference is based on what people want to happen and course history, both which shouldn't be part of a rankings system.

All you have to do is to get to Jordan at #4 to give you the answer. Big no.

I do not see this as OWGR, too much bettor bias and emotion sways the odds in favour of the house. The house knows this and ranks accordingly in order to maximize their profits.

But wont people be betting who they think will win based on money they will be spending?
Too much sentimentality in betting. The folks that win at betting are able to because the odds are used to split the bets 50/50, not to set the actual probability of winning. The money is made by going against the crowd or being the house.

No. Vegas does not rank who they think will win. They rank bettors bias in order to maximize profits.
And the line gets adjusted to get equal money on both sides. Vegas or the bookie or whomever never lose as we know

Close, but a few names are ranked too high and too low in my book. Zalatoris odds are basically the same as Aberg?

Back