Jake, but not from State Farm

Welcome to THP!

@jmorrow020 been catching up on CC youtube channel. When choosing shafts for new club heads to test, do you pick one of those club's stock offerings or a shaft that will highlight that club better? I noticed you had a cool shaft in the latest Ping videos.

Typically I test with whatever gamer shaft I have at the time. It has to be something thats fit for me so that the only variable we are testing is the club head itself. We dont carry stock shafts for woods, and for irons if I were to hit something outside what works for me it wouldnt be giving the clubhead the best chance to show its benefits, or weaknesses.

You’ll see when the 2023 stuff drops that I’ll be testing everything with the same shafts especially in woods. Which also helps geeky guys like us follow along and be able to compare my numbers not only within a line, but against the other head brands as well as each video comes out.

:welcome:

What are you wearing Jake not from State Farm?

@jmorrow020 give us your WITB and possible alternates.

Oh boy. Its changing so much. I did a video on our YouTube a little bit ago, this is still fairly relative haha.

That being said, I have also changed everything... :D

Here's what is absolutely current in the bag:

Callaway RogueST TD S 8.5 @ 10.0 with Diamana PD 60tx (testing HZRDUS Black Gen4 and a new Mitsu Prototype)
Callaway RogueST TD T 3 Wood @ 13.7 with Mitsubishi Kai Li Blue 70tx (testing a Kai Li Red Prototype)
Ping G425 3 Hybrid +1.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 90tx (Testing a 2iron iCrossover)
Ping iCrossover 4iron w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90tx
Taylormade P770 5 iron w/ ProjectX LS 6.0 Hardstepped (Irons are about to change completely)
Taylormade P7MC 6-PW w/ Accra iSeries Tour 110
Callaway Jaws RAW 52 w/ Accra iSteel 120 Wedge, BGT ZNE 115 in the 56, BGT ZNE 130 in the 62

Taylormade TP5 PIX Golf Ball and TP Glove

@jmorrow020 hey Jake, watched the latest CC video on YouTube with steelfibers and Keenan from TT. Great video. Really enjoyed the correlation between impact point on the face and the weight of the shaft. I recently tried lighter graphite shafts, and they seemed to be too light; I started missing the sweet spot. Overall they felt great and easy to swing, but ball striking was tough. I figured lighter is better / easier for contact, but I'm very wrong haha.

In your expert opinion, what other variables that you see on a regular basis will correlate with shaft weight vs sweet spot contact?

*this may be a loaded question haha.

@jmorrow020 hey Jake, watched the latest CC video on YouTube with steelfibers and Keenan from TT. Great video. Really enjoyed the correlation between impact point on the face and the weight of the shaft. I recently tried lighter graphite shafts, and they seemed to be too light; I started missing the sweet spot. Overall they felt great and easy to swing, but ball striking was tough. I figured lighter is better / easier for contact, but I'm very wrong haha.

In your expert opinion, what other variables that you see on a regular basis will correlate with shaft weight vs sweet spot contact?

*this may be a loaded question haha.
Sorry for the late reply.

in my (very non) expert take, overall weight is always going to correlate to proper swing weight. Lighter will always be faster, heavier will always be slower as far as swing speed is concerned. But if you go to a heavier shaft and you are not a player who likes the heavier swingweight, its going to throw your contact off center and your ball speed is going to suffer. On the flip side, if you make better contact with heavier swingweight you're going to see better ball speeds. So while overall weight can certainly help get a golfer to better impact, its not actually the weight itself doing it, its what that weight does to the relationship of the entire club, and swingweight.

Keep in mind too, that a club properly built to a swingweight is doing more than just "tricking the scale" That's a very common thing with a lot of DIY or home builders is that they aren't focusing on where that weight is and what the relationship is doing. I can make any club get to any swingweight with lead tape in the handle or in the head, but that's not the "proper" way to do it. So there's a certain amount of that to consider as well.

Typically what I have seen with my own swing is that I tend to chunk lighter swingweights because my arms go faster down, heavier swing weights I can find myself thinning the ball a lot because I am subconsciously knowing that its a heavier overall weight so my arms lift through impact to compensate.

If you like the feeling and the speed that a lightweight shaft gives you, I'd suggest taking that combo and then messing around with swingweight until it fits. That's what I have done. I've made a switch to lighter recently. I am just taking lighter shafts and hard stepping them to get back to flex. But the OVERALL weight being lighter is definitely helping my game, and I am playing them at the same swingweight I was when I had 130g shafts

Paradym TD 10.5 with Diamana PD testing Vanquish

iCrossover 2iron with Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

irons are going to change completely. Testing ZX7 mkii vs Cobra CB. Will most likely build one with Graphite I cant talk about yet, and then the other with Accras new iSteel Red shafts 🔥

jaws raws stayin in the bag this season. Lb wedge with the BGT ZNE.
Toulon Chicago BGT Stability SuperStroke Wristlock is still going strong as well.
Switched to the TP5 golf ball

👊💪

Paradym TD 10.5 with Diamana PD testing Vanquish

iCrossover 2iron with Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

irons are going to change completely. Testing ZX7 mkii vs Cobra CB. Will most likely build one with Graphite I cant talk about yet, and then the other with Accras new iSteel Red shafts 🔥

jaws raws stayin in the bag this season. Lb wedge with the BGT ZNE.
Toulon Chicago BGT Stability SuperStroke Wristlock is still going strong as well.
Switched to the TP5 golf ball

👊💪
So your basic run of the mill bag! 🤣

So your basic run of the mill bag! 🤣
In all seriousness one of the big boys is coming out with a product in a few weeks and everyone here will love it

Welcome to THP.

Hey Everyone,

I have received a few messages so figured I would just update this thread.

I left Club Champion in February to persue some of my own goals. I loved my time there and still have connections within the company and wish them nothing but the best, and excited for them and their collaboration with the TXG boys in the future. Stay tuned for some details on what I have cookin'

Back