annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
I am intrigued by the trailers for the movie, Joker. Also hold some concern regarding potential violence from nuts who can't distingush reality from a movie. Still excited to see it.

I can honestly say, Joaquin Phoenix is the reason I won’t see the movie. Something about him that just doesn’t sit right with me.

From the trailer , the movie does not excite me and draws me in.

I'm not particularly excited for it, but will watch when it comes out on HBO/Netflix or whatever

I'll probably wait for the Blu-Ray release.

As for all the hype over potential violence, I find that a bit ridiculous. The whole world has spent years telling us that movies and video games don't incite violence. Now all of a sudden, this one movie does? Sorry. Strikes me as just so much marketing hype.

Anyone see this yesterday?

My wife and I went to see this movie tonight. I am torn. It's a good movie, don't get me wrong. Since it's a stand alone movie and doesn't follow DC storylines, I think it might be better not as a "Joker" movie. I'm not sure if I love or hate the ending. Extremely violent and graphic.

I saw it, did not care for it. Well made, incredible acting from Phoenix but the entire movie was uncomfortable. The main character (and likely many others) suffer from some severe mental illness and overall there was very little fun to the movie. Some spoilers coming and I don't know how to add tags on the new forum.

SPOILERS

The whole movie may or may not have "happened", if it did this joker who "lucked" into everything kind of working out, and thus being glorified for being a murderer as the leader of some type of 99% movement.... The first encounter started as self defense then escalated into cold blooded murder... everything after that was murder. And people were rioting in the streets around this? We don't have enough people in this world with issues who might see this and think they could be "joker?" So I disliked the movie in the theater and dislike it even more when thinking about it after the fact.

My wife and I went to see this movie tonight. I am torn. It's a good movie, don't get me wrong. Since it's a stand alone movie and doesn't follow DC storylines, I think it might be better not as a "Joker" movie. I'm not sure if I love or hate the ending. Extremely violent and graphic.

I think a majority of movie goers feel the same as you, which is what makes it a great movie.

Now if we can just get an adult version of Star Wars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw it, did not care for it. Well made, incredible acting from Phoenix but the entire movie was uncomfortable. The main character (and likely many others) suffer from some severe mental illness and overall there was very little fun to the movie. Some spoilers coming and I don't know how to add tags on the new forum.

SPOILERS

The whole movie may or may not have "happened", if it did this joker who "lucked" into everything kind of working out, and thus being glorified for being a murderer as the leader of some type of 99% movement.... The first encounter started as self defense then escalated into cold blooded murder... everything after that was murder. And people were rioting in the streets around this? We don't have enough people in this world with issues who might see this and think they could be "joker?" So I disliked the movie in the theater and dislike it even more when thinking about it after the fact.

I definitely see some people that have been or are being bullied or victimized thinking it’s ok to use violence as retaliation after watching this movie.

I saw it a couple of days ago and took some time to mull it over before responding in here.
I didn't like it. It was almost like they were trying to make a statement about mental illness and they completely failed.
Phoenix will probably get an Oscar nomination and maybe even win it.

I give the movie an overall rating of 4 out of 10.

My thoughts on the movie mirror Mancest’s. The movie is well done and JQ will likely win awards but the movie isn’t fun or enjoyable. It’s dark and troubling. You don’t leave the theater happy you saw the movie.

My wife, who is a counselor and deals with mental illness on a daily basis loved it. She thought that the fact it made you extremely uncomfortable gives you a look at what these people deal with everyday .

My thoughts on the movie mirror Mancest’s. The movie is well done and JQ will likely win awards but the movie isn’t fun or enjoyable. It’s dark and troubling. You don’t leave the theater happy you saw the movie.

This is the gist of what most people have told me when I've asked them about the movie. "I'm not sure I liked it, but I definitely don't want to see it again" was what two people have told me. I'm going to pass on this one.

This is the gist of what most people have told me when I've asked them about the movie. "I'm not sure I liked it, but I definitely don't want to see it again" was what two people have told me. I'm going to pass on this one.

Yeah, exactly what I told people when asking what I thought. I have no desire to watch it again.

Watched Joker last night. It was the most disturbing movie I can ever remember watching. There was nothing fun about it. Was it a great movie - YES! Will I watch it again - maybe?

It is such a complicated movie and deserves all the awards it was nominated for. The fact that it takes place in the DC universe means absolutely nothing. You can replace the DC characters (Joker, Wayne’s and Gotham City) and it would still have the same effect. This is not a superhero movie or really an origin story. It’s a commentary about society and mental illness.

Bravo to everyone that really went outside the box to provide a complete opposite of a popcorn, safe comic book movie.

Watched this weekend and my thoughts mirror many others here. Disturbing movie for sure, but Joaquin's performance in it is just incredible.

So I watched it again and what I did not like is I just do not see this joker becoming the joker from DC comics. I know it was not a comic movie but it just did not work for me, plus so damn slow

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

SPOILERS

That’s exactly how I felt. Disturbing.

I saw the movie a few months back and I loved every minute of it. The whole purpose of the movie is to show you how we utterly ignore and disregard those who suffer from mental illness and Joker is a hyper realized version of what happens when society reaches its crescendo.

He wasn't intended to be a DC Universe Joker. He was a version of the Joker done as a standalone.

This movie was different than I thought. I had not followed any trailers or prior views...so...It was more real than I had anticipated. It is a sad commentary on current societal norms. I also believe the part could have been played well by many but Joaquin has an eerie edge that fit perfect.

I watched it a couple days ago. I can appreciate most of how it was filmed and told, and how it forces the viewer to either engage and feel everything they might not want to, or disengage and basically take part in the ultimate and sad truth of it. Respect.

That said, it's not an enjoyable experience. Probably in either direction.

I just saw this tonight - finally got around to watching it. I don't know what to think about it - I had read reviews about how atrocious it was, so that might have changed how I viewed it. I also was stopping and starting it as I saw Tom Brady trying to claw his way back to the win in Tampa.

Why did I watch, you ask? Because I feel like I have to be aware of what kind of stuff is getting out there. But I certainly didn't pay to see it.

The whole purpose of the movie is to show you how we utterly ignore and disregard those who suffer from mental illness

I don't believe that. I read an interview or two with Todd Phillips and he basically plays dumb about how people thought it was so violent. The guy is about making as much money possible just like every other person in Hollywood. I also think there were tons of other messages in the film that we can't get into here, but I highly doubt Todd Phillips really cares one way or the other about Western civilization's mentally ill.

I remember Phillips from waaaaay back in the day in that HBO show "Taxicab confessions" or whatever it was. Can't believe he is now directing $1billion dollar movies.

It is a sad commentary on current societal norms.

Indeed. It made $1 BILLION+ at the box office. One of the most successful movies ever. Interesting to see so many people here say they didn't like it but still supported it with their money. Surely some of them read reviews and knew it was contrary to what they stand for.

Sequel inbound.

1654649952071.png

I can do without this sequel.

Back