Junior (Kids) Golf Lessons Thread

That makes think with a grin on my face of the first year our junior golf program put on clinics for kids in that age group. I was fortunate enough to at that point have three kids go through that stage so I had a pretty good idea of attention spans, etc. The pro involved was pretty young, did not have kids and really had not worked with anyone younger than high school age. He insisted that each hour clinic should focus on one topic for the entire hour and he wanted to start on the putting green. I suggested that we might want to have stations, break up the group a little (there were 15 kids) and focus more on getting them to enjoy golf while maybe gaining some skills in the process.

At that point, he wanted to stay with the hour-long topic and asked what was the worst that could happen. I described sword fights with putters, long jump competitions in the bunker and divots being taken out of the green. Sure enough, just under 1/2 hour in, the pro turns around and sees a swordfight and bunker jumping happening at the same time. To his credit, he started laughing and immediately pulled the plug. The rest of the classes went very well and the pro had a blast.
I just had a flash back to my first night coaching the 1st and 2nd grade basketball team...

I just had a flash back to my first night coaching the 1st and 2nd grade basketball team...

My best memory was after the second practice with the 3rd grade b-ball team (the youngest organized age in our area), a dad asked me why I had not taught them any plays yet. I suggested plays might have to wait until someone on the team could actually dribble across halfcourt without traveling or double-dribbling :)

Last edited:
We are doing basketball (I'm helping coach) right now as well and it's a good time. It's easier to manage the kids just by virtue of it being much more active.

Back