I view it as most private label goods ... the quality and performance are unknowns, so proceed with caution. Costco has done zero R&D, obviously, but somebody somewhere has. How much is the big question. Of course Costco's guarantee takes the risk out, so those willing to try it have an "out" if they don't like it. But there's no denying Costco's reputation for private labels is generally excellent, and they've shown that in the rare event they put out an inferior product, they'll acknowledge it and pull it if necessary. Personally, I won't touch it, because right or wrong, looks matter to me. I wouldn't have a problem gaming a Maltby wedge, however. What I buy must appeal to me, and what appeals to me must perform.

Speaking of private labels, I have a massive collection of golf apparel. I'm fairly certain most or all of the Nike, Adidas and Under Armour items were designed in house, and possibly the Puma as well, but what about my Callaway, and Ping golf shirts? My Mizuno and TaylorMade caps? And all those various branded golf gloves I have all over the place? Do we really think they were designed by the company whose logo they bear? Or is it more likely their procurement teams found a suitable partner who specializes in the design and manufacture of such things?

Here is an interesting thought exercise:

Let’s say instead of a tie or golf shirt for Christmas, the wife and kids get you a fresh new set of Kirkland Signature wedges. Are you happy?

It's not near as bad as the putter.

I am 50/50 whether it is good or bad for golf. On one hand I don't think anyone that is a serious golfer will buy Kirkland signature. But if it helps grow the sport as an entry point then it's not all bad.

I view it as most private label goods ... the quality and performance are unknowns, so proceed with caution. Costco has done zero R&D, obviously, but somebody somewhere has. How much is the big question. Of course Costco's guarantee takes the risk out, so those willing to try it have an "out" if they don't like it. But there's no denying Costco's reputation for private labels is generally excellent, and they've shown that in the rare event they put out an inferior product, they'll acknowledge it and pull it if necessary. Personally, I won't touch it, because right or wrong, looks matter to me. I wouldn't have a problem gaming a Maltby wedge, however. What I buy must appeal to me, and what appeals to me must perform.

Speaking of private labels, I have a massive collection of golf apparel. I'm fairly certain most or all of the Nike, Adidas and Under Armour items were designed in house, and possibly the Puma as well, but what about my Callaway, and Ping golf shirts? My Mizuno and TaylorMade caps? And all those various branded golf gloves I have all over the place? Do we really think they were designed by the company whose logo they bear? Or is it more likely their procurement teams found a suitable partner who specializes in the design and manufacture of such things?
Callaway apparel is licensed. It is designed and manufacturered by PEI.

Let’s say instead of a tie or golf shirt for Christmas, the wife and kids get you a fresh new set of Kirkland Signature wedges. Are you happy?
Not really. I appreciate the gesture.

Callaway apparel is licensed. It is designed and manufacturered by PEI.

Good to know. I have five, and they're some of the best in my closet.

I am not sure that I agree that they only divert customers from Bombtech. Costco was a big enough threat with golf balls that Titleist filed a lawsuit.

It is not just the equipment manufacturers. The golf retail specialty stores make a percentage of their profit from selling less expensive equipment to the not so serious golfer. Anyone who buys from Costco never darkens the door of those stores.
I understand what you’re saying completely and agree on the golf ball. With the wedges I see them no different from the house brands from Dicks’s/Golf Galaxy. For someone who doesn’t know it’s a start. For the budget minded folks like me, I’d rather buy new old stock from Budget Golf or the likes.

Did you buy one of those $400 wedges from PXG then?

What kind of 'issues' do you foresee with these, or any other Kirkland club thus far? Not sure what I should hold Costco accountable for on a golf wedge. I personally don't like the Kirkland balls, but I have no complaints on their quality, just don't like their feel off the driver.
@radiman made a good point. I’m not saying they’ll have issues and truthfully I hope they don’t. In fact, I’m a huge Kirk sig fan. Costco does a lot of things right, hence their success.

Back to the point. Let’s say you purchase a wedge from a major OEM (Cobra, Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade, Cleveland, etc) and the finish starts peeling off on every single one of their clubs. What happens? Do they refund and not say a word about it? Or do they fix the issue, find out why it happened and make it right with you as the customer, giving you a new club? They have skin in the game so it’s more personal. Plus THEY manufactured and creates the club, if something goes wrong, it’s completely on them. Their reputation is on the line.

Costco is outsourcing these products. If they work and function appropriately, they cash in. If not, they don’t really care, refund money or they find someone else to build them. People will continue to buy tubs of peanut butter and overrun pairs of jeans there whether these wedges are good or not.

I'm sure I can find a little extra room on my tie rack.

One of the reasons that I think those of us who really love this sport should be cautious about supporting an entity like Costco who jumps in and offers a discounted product is that we need the OEMs who are dedicated to innovation and are dependent upon the golfing population to make a profit to remain healthy and financially viable. Costco is not in this because it loves golf or the golfers. This is pure capitalism. If the golfing population does not support this release, Costco still makes bundles in the thousands of other products it offers for sale. In a sense, Costco is sort of a parasite upon the golf equipment universe. It is entitled to do what it is doing, but I would rather support those companies truly dedicated to this thing we all love so much.
If you think Titleist, Cleveland, Callaway, and the rest are doing it for "love of the game", then I've got oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

He'll, yeah. I'd be thrilled.

@radiman made a good point. I’m not saying they’ll have issues and truthfully I hope they don’t. In fact, I’m a huge Kirk sig fan. Costco does a lot of things right, hence their success.

Back to the point. Let’s say you purchase a wedge from a major OEM (Cobra, Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade, Cleveland, etc) and the finish starts peeling off on every single one of their clubs. What happens? Do they refund and not say a word about it? Or do they fix the issue, find out why it happened and make it right with you as the customer, giving you a new club? They have skin in the game so it’s more personal. Plus THEY manufactured and creates the club, if something goes wrong, it’s completely on them. Their reputation is on the line.

Costco is outsourcing these products. If they work and function appropriately, they cash in. If not, they don’t really care, refund money or they find someone else to build them. People will continue to buy tubs of peanut butter and overrun pairs of jeans there whether these wedges are good or not.
Are you saying the OEMs don't source their clubheads overseas? That's news to me.

If you think Titleist, Cleveland, Callaway, and the rest are doing it for "love of the game", then I've got oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Obviously, they are in it to make a buck, but let’s not get caught up in semantics and be so cynical about it, either. If Golf as a sport/pastime struggles, those companies struggle. If Golf struggles, Costco doesn’t even hiccup. Whatever semantic you want to use is fine, but the OEMs have a vested interest in growing the game and in golf thriving. Costco has no such incentive.

Is that REAL milled face technology? Never thought I’d see the day.

Obviously, they are in it to make a buck, but let’s not get caught up in semantics and be so cynical about it, either. If Golf as a sport/pastime struggles, those companies struggle. If Golf struggles, Costco doesn’t even hiccup. Whatever semantic you want to use is fine, but the OEMs have a vested interest in growing the game and in golf thriving. Costco has no such incentive.
Why so worried about billion dollar companies like callaway?

How is this any different then crappy insurance companies like "the general" and "safe auto" selling insurance? Do you really think companies like state farm and allstate care about them?

How is this any different then crappy insurance companies like "the general" and "safe auto" selling insurance? Do you really think companies like state farm and allstate care about them?

Labeling them as "crappy" aren't you making the same case that are you arguing against in this thread? :ROFLMAO:

Why so worried about billion dollar companies like callaway?

I am not worried, but I enjoy discussion. The reason that “billion dollar companies like Callaway” are important to me and should be important to everybody who loves golf is because they have the financial wherewithal to drive real innovation and technological improvement, which makes the game more enjoyable. I am shooting the same scores today that I was 20 years ago. I have nowhere near the physical ability and athleticism that I had then. My club speed is much lower. The improvement in equipment makes up for it and keeps me excited that I can still improve my scores. If there is no Callaway or if there was no company large enough to develop a Pro V1-type ball, I am not sure that the equipment would be as good today. Does that make sense?

Labeling them as "crappy" aren't you making the same case that are you arguing against in this thread? :ROFLMAO:
Not at all. You are always going to have bargain basement/dollar store companies that cater to a certain demographic. As an allstate agency owner, I have no problem with companies like safe auto and the general. They serve a purpose.

Not at all. You are always going to have bargain basement/dollar store companies that cater to a certain demographic. As an allstate agency owner, I have no problem with companies like safe auto and the general. They serve a purpose.

Right. Just as I would assume that many of the larger well thought out companies have little concern with Costco selling cheap wedges. You mentioned earlier that you took issue with people "labeling" the Costco wedges as "crappy" (or the like), but did the same thing with the analogy.

I dont think too many people have issue with Costco releasing and selling a product. As golfers that take clubs, fitting, and performance to a higher level (being THPers), they would believe (right or wrong) that golfers would want performance. Just as you would prefer, drivers, not go with "crappy" coverage. Make sense?

So to be clear, my gripe about the K-Sig wedges really isn’t about price or performance (we know little about both, which is perhaps another gripe in itself). My issue is that the K-Sig seems to be unabashedly utilizing something that I loathe, which is taking someone else’s ingenuity and design, having it copied overseas, and then brining it back to market at a discount. To me, that deters innovation.

Take the OG 4-piece for example. Basically a direct copy of Titleist property. Then the K-Sig putter, which is a straight knockoff of the Ping Anser/SC. Now, that wedge in the picture looks an awful like a Vokey SM7 to me on the backside, with the difference being that they milled the small indentation towards the top instead of leaving it smooth. So now, we are basically 3 for 3 with Costco copying a Titleist product. That should not be encouraged.

Last edited:
Back