Lack of enthusiasm for Phil Mickelson

So you aren't a uber fan of the johhny cash/NWO phase of Lefty?

You got that backwards. NWO wants individuals to "own nothing and be happy. "😜

I was pretty indifferent towards Phil before the LIV stuff but after seeing the reactions by the PGA Tour and the media I root for him a little bit more now. He said a lot of dumb stuff out loud that we had collectively agreed to pretend didn’t exist but none of it should have been a surprise to anyone even remotely paying attention. He definitely makes you work to like him but it felt like he was being relatively open and honest, something we say we want but have proven time and again that we really don’t.

The contrast between now and the love Phil got at the PGA Championship last year is breathtaking!

Everyone has personality traits that may rub some people the wrong way. I've been a big fan of Phil because of his style of play. Also, if someone is going to be "phony", a smiling, thumbs up, autograph signing kind of "phony" is my kind of guy. Some people cut Phil no slack, but practically worship others who have done far worse, IMHO.

Phil has done a lot to further the game of golf over the years. Yeah, he has said a number of things that would probably be best be left unsaid but I give him props for standing up and speaking his mind. Did he make the decision to chase the big bucks? Well yeah, but what pro level athlete has not entertained that thought. I still root for Phil to do well but I wonder if he can continue to play at the level he was accustomed to with the weight of the baggage he is currently carrying. Give it your best Phil and keep moving forward.

Now that Phil is working heel, I like him more. But that’s just me.

That’s the great thing about THP dude, if you’re not interested in this thread, go look at another one. Hope you find something more interesting here soon 😊.

Phil is sort of my golf idol, and my enthusiasm for him remains undiminished.

I wouldn't want to have a beer in the clubhouse with him, but I don't think you'd want to have a beer in the clubhouse with a lot of Tour pros. It takes a different kind of guy to grind to the top and not "merely" be content with earning a D-1 scholarship or shooting scratch in the local men's league.

And I don't get all the heat he takes for his comments about LIV golf and the PGA Tour. IME, he read the situation accurately.

I don't even know if I'd call him greedy for jumping to the Saudi Tour... there's a difference between being greedy and being broke with gambling debt. He owes a lot of money, likely to some less than wonderful people, and that's forcing his hand. Again, that same ultra-competitive streak that brought him to the summit of golf also means that he can't say no to some pretty huge gambles. Not a dude I would want to hang out with. But if working with the Saudi government is the lesser of his two evils, he must really be in a bind.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of Phil, but there is no denying what he has accomplished both in and for the game of golf. Honestly, I think he's damaged his reputation/legacy (whatever you want to call it) with all of the action surrounding LIV. This weekend is a perfect example - two years ago he set a record as the oldest winner of the US Open and now all anyone wants to talk about is why he chose to take the money.

IMO the greater tragedy is with the younger generation: instead of learning about Phil Mickelson and his accomplishments, he'll likely be known to most of them as the guy who sold his soul. The parallel that immediately comes to mind is Darrell Waltrip - he had a great racing career but hung on for several years too long and finished in last place race after race. Young people won't remember him for his 84 wins but rather the fact that he just wouldn't give it up. It's sad to me.

Phil has skills, but never been high on my list of favorites. LIV has not really changed my view of him one way or the other.

That’s the great thing about THP dude, if you’re not interested in this thread, go look at another one. Hope you find something more interesting here soon 😊.

Wasn't about the thread itself dude. The emoji was my feelings "lack of enthusiasm for Phil"

Still Like The thrill ..... I would love it if he pulled it out

I used to hate him for being so dumb and throwing away tournaments trying to make hero shots. (My brother, and a buddy love him for it.) then, when I read about his tipping and generosity with people, I really warmed up to him. I don't have any real feelings about the whole LIV thing. It's his life, and his choice.

Phil is sort of my golf idol, and my enthusiasm for him remains undiminished.

I wouldn't want to have a beer in the clubhouse with him, but I don't think you'd want to have a beer in the clubhouse with a lot of Tour pros. It takes a different kind of guy to grind to the top and not "merely" be content with earning a D-1 scholarship or shooting scratch in the local men's league.

And I don't get all the heat he takes for his comments about LIV golf and the PGA Tour. IME, he read the situation accurately.

I don't even know if I'd call him greedy for jumping to the Saudi Tour... there's a difference between being greedy and being broke with gambling debt. He owes a lot of money, likely to some less than wonderful people, and that's forcing his hand. Again, that same ultra-competitive streak that brought him to the summit of golf also means that he can't say no to some pretty huge gambles. Not a dude I would want to hang out with. But if working with the Saudi government is the lesser of his two evils, he must really be in a bind.
You know, I think he'd probably be a riot to have a beer with. He's got a good sense of humor, and seems like he'd take someone "giving him the business" pretty well. Or, he'd be FIGJAM and I'd leave him with the tab.

Use to love Phil, not so much lately.

I loved the post yesterday from Rock Bottom Golf on Facebook saying " the only grand slam Phil will see this week will be at a Dennys". Lol

Wasn't about the thread itself dude. The emoji was my feelings "lack of enthusiasm for Phil"
Oh well apologies in that case I agree with you 😛.

I've always been a huge fan of Figjam. But I'm honestly just over all the recent drama. The Crazy Gambling and losing millions. The book. The LIV tour... blah blah blah... I'm done. I could really care less if he plays or not, on any stage.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I can get behind a lack of enthusiasm. I think the piling on by ever news outlet and social media post about his bad round yesterday is a little ridiculous.

Back