Ladies who launch - come out, come out, wherever you are!

spazzdog

Reaction score
Handicap
Lots
I thought I'd get a topic going for the girls... Not that you guys aren't thoroughly entertaining.

So, who's here that's female (no real names unless you want to), how old are you, where are you ( as general as you are comfortable with), how long have you played, what got you into golf and what other stuff do you enjoy doing?

That'll keep us busy for a sec :D Plus, if anyone is nearby maybe we can play golf sometime. As it stands, I know no women in my area that play.

I'm Gena, 56, live a bit south of Dallas. I've been playing since July 2011 and got into it as an alternative to cycling and running which the older bones have a little more difficulty doing anymore. I play once a week with my bro-in-law and practice 2-3 times a week at the range.

Photography, reading and watching almost any sport is my kind of fun... Then there's finding good restaurants, especially sushi or Mexican ;)

Who's next?

I'm Kathy, live in Los Angeles.
I got started because I was going on vacation to Maui with my sister and another friend. They had already started playing and since they were going to play Kapalua, I wasn't going to just sit there and watch them play. I've been playing for 13 years now.

A good way to meet other women who play golf is to ask about a women's club at the nearby courses. If you're in a big city, there also might be a EWGA(Executive Women's Golf Association) chapter near you. If you work for a large company, they might have a golf club that has once a month outings or so.

Golf, jazz, traveling, good food are some of my interests.

I'm Jenn, live in Mechanicville, NY.

I started because my pain in the butt boyfriend now husband wouldn't leave me alone. Now I've been playing for six years. I usually play 3-4 times a week plus driving range time. I love anything active and outside especially if I can take my dog with me. Favorites are camping, hiking, running and reading.

I'm Morgan and I live in Florida. I co-own this site with my husband, JB, and he is the reason I started golfing. I suck at this sport but I still love getting out there and hacking away.

I don't get to play nearly enough, and I never get to practice, especially when we are out on the road with the THP Tour Van. I am currently looking into our local EWGA because I would love to find some other women to play golf with.

I love spending time with my family (especially my puppies Duke & Ellie), I enjoy reading, shopping, working out (although that has taken a back seat with golf since the tour van came to be), traveling and good food.

Thanks for checking in ladies :) I look forward to someday meeting each of you in the real world.

Hoping all the THP "fairer sex" find their way in here.

And GG... My game is way worse than yours girl! You're an animal with new driver ;)

Tell me there are more than 4 of us here...

Gonna have to get out and do some outreach :)

hi
im regina. im in clare in Ireland. im 27. i work in optics and am studying to be a dispensing optician.i have just started to learn to play golf. i ended upon thp and also learning to play golf as my boyfriend is a member on here and is taking part in the morgan cup this year.

when not listening to my fella talking about golf i enjoy reading and doing most womens favorite pastime SHOPPING

Tell me there are more than 4 of us here...

Gonna have to get out and do some outreach :)

Don't worry there are they just need to know this thread is here.

I'm Mary or MaryC as I'm known here. I live outside of Atlanta in a small town called Suwanee.

I'm 47 and loving it. I've played seriously for a bit more than 3 years as of this month but have been "golfing" for about 15 yrs (by golfing, I mean hitting the ball around and putting, not really driving). How I got into golf and who influenced me? That is a bit long winded but here goes"

My FIL was a 35 yr teaching pro in Bristol, TN and my husband grew up in the bag room at the club. I admit I absolutely HATED golf when I met my husband. I had tried to play several times and couldn't get the ball in the air and when I did it would only go about 10-20 yds. I could putt very well (years of putt putt golf) but actually getting any distance, not so much. The very first time I went to Bristol to meet my future in-laws, my husband warned me that I would have to learn to at least tolerate golf and to play golf because the whole family golfed.

So, of course what we do less than 2 hrs after getting to his parent's home, go to the golf course to play. After watching me struggle for two holes, my then future FIL told my husband and MIL, that he was going to take me to the range and help me with some things, and we'd catch them at the turn. 2.5 hours later, the man who once played a round with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby and took them to the cleaners in a money game, who's pro-am team won the 1986 ATT World Pro Am at Pebble Beach (not PGA tour Pro Am, but one for PGA teaching professionals), a man who until the year before he passed away at the age of 78 could still drive the ball 256 yds, threw his hands up in frustration and said in the sweetest Eastern TN drawl, "Darlin' EVEN I can not help you with your long ball. You let the boys get you to the green, and you put the ball in the hole for the money". Needless to say, from then on we'd play boy/girl scramble best ball when ever I'd visit. Fast forward 10 yrs, both my FIL and husband passed way within 6 months of each other but thankfully my MIL and I remained very close.

On a visit home to N. Michigan a few months after my husband passed away, my father dragged me out golfing with him to "get me out of the house". He told me, I didn't have to hit the ball or anything just go out and keep him company in the cart. So, I went. After watching him play two or three holes, I asked if I could hit a ball off the tee. He handed me his driver, I stepped up to the ball and smashed it about 145 yds down the center of the fairway! I was stunned and amazed and hooked. I wanted to do that again and again. So, I finished playing the round of golf with my Dad, using his clubs.

To this day, I say my FIL reached down from heaven and pushed that ball in the air and down the fairway. It allowed me to also to spend the next two years on the golf course with my MIL every time we were together until she passed away last year.

I admit, I'm not a huge fan of playing in ladies associations. I like straight up stroke play or match play and have found very few ladies associations I have played in do that but rather play golf "games" like Trouble or No Hazard, etc. Not saying that is bad, just not my cup of proverbial tea. I play with Kelly-Bo a lot and she is begging me to start playing in tournaments with her. I may do that later this year. I was a member of EWGA and it is a wonderful organization.

OK, besides breathing, sleeping, and drinking golf (my TV even turns on always set to the Golf Channel), I'm a pretty accomplished baker, with breads my specialty

braidedbread.jpg

(but the folks here will tell you it's my cookies).

cookies.jpg

I also read and not a lot of people know, I'm in the process of writing a book. I work as an acoustical engineer who designs sound systems that get installed permanently in stadiums, arenas, and large performing arts centers.

BostonGardenCornerCluster.jpg
[/IMG]

No kids but I'm owned by a large 15lb ex-tom cat who adopted me about 14 yrs ago. He likes to act as a hazard when I practice putting

LBonputtinggreen.jpg

but also loves to watch golf with me.

Untitled.jpg

There are quite a few women here, like Nerfny said, they may just not know about this thread. I didn't until I was spelunking around the 19th hole.

Great to meet you Mary! And truly a wonderful story... And, for what it's worth, I think you're right about that drive and your FIL. He figured you needed to get back out there...

I'm still looking for gals to play with... There are a couple of older women (older than me) at the local club that I see out occasionally. I'm not a member, but left my name/number with the pro shop gal as she said they look for a player every so often.

There is a MeetUp group that plays in Dallas once a month (9 holes, wine & apps after, with a healthy dose of "business networking")... Am not sure about going as it just doesn't sound like my thing. Would rather go out and play regular 18 holes, stroke play, but I may end up giving it a whirl.

I like playing with the guys... Occasionally meet up with a stranger playing alone when I'm out with the bro-in-law and, so far, they've always been quite nice. Nothing compares with the TX outing of course! A blast playing with GG, Jamie and Molly the 1st day, then paired with threeboysdad (Phillip) with JB and... Oh dear, I've forgotten a name! Anyway, Phillip was a gem to play with and I don't think I caused speed-demon JB any undue stress by being too slow :) Great experience!

Back