Lead With the Right Elbow

I tried this topic for a few seasons and played some of the worst golf of my life.Big time rights

I tried this topic for a few seasons and played some of the worst golf of my life.Big time rights
I had major problems to the right too because my club face was never getting squared. What helped me solve it was making sure my left hip rotated back. Also, making sure I released/extended the right elbow; keeping the right bent for too long is where I got into a lot of trouble to the right because it's very hard to get the face around in time if the right elbow is not extending at impact.

OK now I just saw the George Gankas video someone posted in this forum back in February. He explains the rotation that's required a lot better than I just did or can.

The tip in the first post might be the worst tip I've ever heard. Flattening the swing is not the way to go.

The tip in the first post might be the worst tip I've ever heard. Flattening the swing is not the way to go.
It's hard to argue with someone who's a much better golfer than me, but don't you think Ben Hogan had a pretty flat swing or at least a flat shaft angle on the downswing? Also, it seems for golfers that are coming over-the-top, wouldn't shallowing the shaft help them?

It's hard to argue with someone who's a much better golfer than me, but don't you think Ben Hogan had a pretty flat swing or at least a flat shaft angle on the downswing? Also, it seems for golfers that are coming over-the-top, wouldn't shallowing the shaft help them?

The steepness or shallowness of the swing isn't the cause of the over the top move. If your lower body doesn't get the swing started then OTT can happen.
Hogan and other tour pros with a flat swing are few and far between. They grooved these moves and made them work. Your average golfer doesn't have the discipline nor the time to really make this type of move work.
Any move that can get the club stuck behind you is a big red flag.

The steepness or shallowness of the swing isn't the cause of the over the top move. If your lower body doesn't get the swing started then OTT can happen.
Hogan and other tour pros with a flat swing are few and far between. They grooved these moves and made them work. Your average golfer doesn't have the discipline nor the time to really make this type of move work.
Any move that can get the club stuck behind you is a big red flag.
OK yeah, makes sense. I've had a lot of struggles getting my hips to start my downswing but now understand how critical it is. For me, having my right elbow next to my right hip and then rotating in one, in-sync motion is helping a lot.

Back