Learning golf - One person, or learn from everyone?

Linkster@FM

Reaction score
Handicap
I have played at golf for awhile, but only recently have started to study the game and learn it. I have run into a school of thought that say to only work with one style/instructor/method, and stop listening to golf tips, magazines, etc. I can respect that... IF that is the best way to learn.

However, this is a bit different line of thought that I have experienced with other areas in my life. For example, as a musician... I have always taken the mantra to LEARN FROM EVERYONE... Whoever, whatever, and whenever. And, that has always served me well. So, hearing this different thought with golf has mean a bit confused. Is golf really that much different in the learning piece? So, what is the best way to learn.... Stay with only one method or teaching style? Or, learn from everyone? I truly appreciate any and all insights into this subject.

Please forgive me if I should have posted this question in a different area of the forum... It seemed like Golf Improvement fit best. Thanks for reading.

I like both sides really. On one side you have the idea that letting in all types of thoughts on the matter could be confusing. On the other hand, multiple sets of eye balls and thoughts on the matter is how things are solved. One thing I learned a long time ago from someone far wiser than me, is surrounding yourself with incredible minds leads to incredible things. I equate that a lot in the world of golf, and especially THP.

I will give an example. I was able to learn a lot about short game from someone years ago and it has helped me a ton throughout my golfing life. In the last couple of years at THP Events, THPers (including myself) have been able to be around others such as Roger Cleveland, etc. I have learned a ton from them as well. It might not line up perfectly with what I learned all along, but I would never discount it, because what I have found is that it also helps.

In the end, if the goals are to get better, on a personal level, I think that having a coach is a good thing. However I also believe that tuning everything else out would be counterproductive.

I think multiple lines of thoughts are fine in golf, provided those lines of thought are complete. As a golfer you are constantly learning and growing. If an instructor only uses one school of thought and never evolves, he will die on the vine. Guys like Jim M, Butch H, Brian M. and many others have constantly grown in their styles and knowledge of the game.

I think golf tips from your buddies might hit a cord 1 out o 10 times. So multiple band-aids or tips may not be the best. But some legit advice from multiple sources is always a good thing.

I'm in the camp of finding one instructor that you understand and mesh with. Learn the swing from him or her. To many people chiming in just confuses things. Once you get the swing down and understand your swing then you can start taking tips. This way you can make an educated decision if the tip will work for you.

I'm in the camp of finding one instructor that you understand and mesh with. Learn the swing from him or her. To many people chiming in just confuses things. Once you get the swing down and understand your swing then you can start taking tips. This way you can make an educated decision if the tip will work for you.

That is a key, IMHO. For the best results,

- his/her teaching style should mesh with your learning style. For example, do you learn best by doing? Being held and guided through the swing? Seeing? Reading? Listening? Analyzing data? Find an instructor who teaches that way. The best instructors can teach successfully in more than one style.
- the teacher should be driven by principles and not models. If a teacher told me there is one best swing and it looks a certain way, I would walk away. One reason I like Jim McLean is that he talks in terms of certain principles common to all good golf swings, and he shows those principles in swings of all shapes and sizes.

Back