Lease or finance golf clubs?

TCB2010

How good do the HMB’s look?!
Reaction score
So I recently downloaded the grint, I started getting emails once a month and just noticed their “sister app” gimme and they lease or finance clubs.
Is this crazy? Have you ever heard of such a thing? It’s like rent a center for golf clubs?

I use the Grint too and I’ve looked into it. It definitely makes sense to pay the full value over time. I’m not sure if a credit check or anything is required, but it’s something I’ll look into next time I buy clubs. Some of the other sites that sell clubs have pay over time options as well. Definitely helps not having to pay in full up front.

This may make sense if you can't afford the clubs outright, but I hate having monthly payments on things other than car, mortgage, and the like. That being said, if you can't afford to pay the $2000 outright for that set of clubs you've always wanted, this will give you a chance to get that set. I can see it being helpful if the number is right.

I had never heard of it.
I mean I’m going over this in my mind thinking how, I guess it says $30 a month, so say you play 5 months, may-September, that’s a $150 for let’s say this years latest greatest driver and then you turn it back in and rinse and repeat next year?

Reminds me of Rent a Rim. It’s the same concept that you pay $xxx per week or month to “rent” clubs instead of car rims but when you look at the fine print, the interest is astronomical and there are all sorts of gotchas. Look at the buyout terms and you will see that you are playing a pretty significant premium for the privilege.

They must charge interest, right?

First, I'm shocked I've never received one of these emails. I must have done something right back when I first joined thegrint, or they've talked to me enough to know not to bother me. Lol
Second, it looks like for a driver you have to pay 'as little as' $30 a month and commit to 12 months to play the club. Then you can start it over with a newer/different club, or do 20 payments of $30 to keep it.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Rent a Rim. It’s the same concept that you pay $xxx per week or month to “rent” clubs instead of car rims but when you look at the fine print, the interest is astronomical and there are all sorts of gotchas. Look at the buyout terms and you will see that you are playing a pretty significant premium for the privilege.

Beat me to it.

If I ever decide to finance golf equipment, I'll know it's time to check myself into an Institution. I've never financed an essential vehicle, I'm sure as heck not going to finance a luxury item.

If I ever decide to finance golf equipment, I'll know it's time to check myself into an Institution. I've never financed an essential vehicle, I'm sure as heck not going to finance a luxury item.

You sir, are a lucky man.

I mean we’ve all spent our own money on clubs, trade-ins, upgrades etc. Do whatever makes sense for you.

Get a decent set and then enter contests on THP to be honest, might get lucky.

I tried dollar driver club once. Somewhat similar concept.
Buying clubs is not an issue but what is an issue is getting some actual course time with a driver or set of clubs to see how you like them after a month or two. I rented 2 drivers for 3 months each and came to love one and hate the other. Once I figured that out, I turned them in and bought a new version of the one I “rented”

Definitely not worth it in my book. I would take good fit older clubs then ill fit new clubs. And you would be over paying

This is me. My friends all drive what I consider to be insane cars. I paid cash for my used 2006 honda that I still have sitting in my driveway because someone returned it after a year for under $10k when they were something like $20k new. The only other car I have owned was my Dad's used 1990 Honda that that my parents made me pay them for at low cost KBB.

I bought a 2016 wrangler a year ago for like $30k as a reward for myself and took a $15k loan on it. My friends all were shocked that I spent money on a car. It gave me anxiety and I paid it off after like 6 months.

First, I'm shocked I've never received one of these emails. I must have done something right back when I first joined thegrint, or they've talked to me enough to know not to bother me. Lol
Second, it looks like for a driver you have to pay 'as little as' $30 a month and commit to 12 months to play the club. Then you can start it over with a newer/different club, or do 20 payments of $30 to keep it.
So $360 for the year? Um yeah no.... that makes no sense.

Why???? Pay cash

Not a fan of payments of any kind

Pretty sure I would never rent, or lease a set of golf clubs. There's has to be significant extra charges involved.

Besides interest, and sales tax, one extra charge for me would be insurance against theft. Wouldn't want to be paying for something I no longer have. Not sure a home owners policy would cover theft.

I leased a vehicle once. It wasn't pretty when the lease was up. Never again.

I financed my last set of irons, but had a 0% deal over 10 months so it didn't cost me a bean to do it. I'd never do it if it ended up costing me more, but to get a new set of irons on interest free I thought what the hell. A month later I then won a place on the MC and I've not used the Callaways since :LOL:

I wouldn't lease, but I would put the purchase on a credit card. I would then move the balance to a 0% interest card. This way I get what I want and not pay any extra for them

I quit the financing thing many years ago and so glad I did. You are in debt to someone else until you get the debt paid. I pay cash or I don't buy.

Pretty soon you will be able to finance your morning coffee. Just don't read the fine print.

If the finance rate was 0% and I was intending to keep the clubs for a longer time period than the finance, I would maybe consider it if they were clubs I really wanted

Other than car/mortgage payments, it is very rare that I would lease or finance something these days - did it when I was younger and buying my first house just so that I could get the essentials but that is all

Back