Least Favorite Type of Golf Course

Definitely a neighborhood golf course that's been swallowed up by the neighborhood. I don't mind if a few holes border some homes, but I dont like the course to be winding thru the whole neighborhood with houses on each side for the majority of the holes. Not for the risk of hitting the houses, but just for the views and feel. I prefer a course that has some seclusion to it

Courses with too many blind shots. i'm okay with one or two, you get too many though and it feels more like hit and hope vs golf. Not to mention it kills the pace searching for balls because you couldn't see the area they were finishing in.

Mountain courses with tons of blind shots or elevation changes into greens, i find them a little gimmicky. There are ways to use elevation changes well, i don't like hitting into like 12 greens that are way up or downhill

Target golf i also am not huge on if it's every hole

Anything tight. I need room to breathe

As long as the conditions are good, I am not picky. Heck even if the conditions are not good I can still play. But, I dont prefer courses that offer only one way to play.

I loathe a Ross designed course. There are a few down here that I play, and trying to hold a green with an approach shot is impossible.

i don't like golf courses with tight driving areas

i don't like golf courses that force you to play a hole a certain way

i don't like golf courses with short-ish layups off the tee and almost equidistant yardage for the approach

George Costanza Festival GIF

As long as the conditions are good, I am not picky. Heck even if the conditions are not good I can still play. But, I dont prefer courses that offer only one way to play.

That's why i love my home course, especially the back 9. You can hit 5 drivers or 0 drivers, cut corners or hit to spots....it's an extremely well designed layout that is tough but very fair

My course in general, you can hit literally every club in the bag at least once pretty regularly

The combination of desert golf with crazy narrow holes. Nothing worse than being 2 yards into the rocks and cacti all day long.

I hate courses with silly trick holes better suited to a putt-putt venue.

The combination of desert golf with crazy narrow holes. Nothing worse than being 2 yards into the rocks and cacti all day long.

definitely this. Desert golf pains me. I would have to revamp my waste bunker game to find some enjoyment.

pretty to look at though.

Flat, boring golf courses with lots of homes/condos that are also almost unwalkable because of the distances to the next tee from many of the greens. In short, most any of the 40 or so public golf courses in Florida I’ve played. My favorite category are the desert courses with lots of topography.

No particularly "style," but I do dislike those that are unimaginative, poorly maintained, have bad drainage, have back to back par 5s, have blind shots. I'll join others who've mentioned overly narrow courses and those that are squeezed into a housing development.

I prefer "straight-forward" courses where you can see what is in front of you. I don't like courses where there are hidden hazards and every green is protected by bunkers or water.

Mandatory cart courses with lots of houses around.

Much prefer to be out in the woods or along the water walking.

Visually narrow fairways are tough for me when I have driver in my hand. I will take a second shot course all day as long as there is some forgiveness off the tee.

Terrain and surroundings don't really bother me too much. Just keep me away from a super tree lined course.
This is for me also.

When the view off the tee gives me little chance for success, I’d rather play somewhere else

No such thing for me. I'll play them all!

I don't like all the links answers. I love playing links golf as it helps with your imagination. The best shots aren't always towering draws and fades, sometimes its on the ground. :ROFLMAO: I enjoyed the time in Scotland and Ireland as well as Bandon and some links courses in Nebraska.

Courses with too many large trees. Those trees were much smaller when the course was built.
Courses with bizarre routing from green to the next tee and no signs to direct you. Courses with blind shots where you could hit someone or get hit. Courses with silly gimmicks like bunkers in the middle of the green. Courses with elevated multi-tiered greens that you can't see from below.

I despise the municipal courses that were all designed in the 30-50's that now have trees so tight that it's basically like bowling with the bumpers up. If you do happen to make it over the trees you are now in another fairway because they packed 18 hole into 30 acres of land.
Most if not all of them were designed by people who played a draw exclusively and have a 70% draw bias designed into the course layout.
Any course that deliberately has a tree encroaching on the tee box to limit the shot shape to a draw or fade is a no go for me.
So basically I am calling out Pinecrest in Idaho Falls Idaho as my most hated course.

Lots of forced carries. Aka Palisades right @e1iterate

Back