Lessons and improvement are you willing to put in the time.

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Title says it all. If you had a chance at lessons do you have the time or willing to find the time required to make changes to swing. Lessons are great but if one can’t or isn’t willing to spend the required to practice what are you accomplishing.

Yes, almost to the point I'm obsessive. Still, I end up feeling like it's not enough.

Yes, almost to the point I'm obsessive. Still, I end up feeling like it's not enough.
I’m early on in process but I think obsessive is what it takes. Half axxed isn’t going to make it happen. Let’s say for sake of discussion you get a one hour lesson per week how many hours per week do you like to practice.

I’m early on in process but I think obsessive is what it takes. Half axxed isn’t going to make it happen. Let’s say for sake of discussion you get a one hour lesson per week how many hours per week do you like to practice.
When I'm able, upwards of 60-90 minutes a day. Depends on the time of year though.

Buuuut, I've been sidelined for a week as a consequence of being old and made out of glass. It's killing me.

Buuuut, I've been sidelined for a week as a consequence of being old and made out of glass. It's killing me.
I get the old and breakable part.

I get the old and breakable part.
Hit four wedge shots today hoping all was good (knowing in my heart it wasn't). Maybe Sunday/Monday.

When I'm able, upwards of 60-90 minutes a day. Depends on the time of year though.
I’m trying to get in a range session per day. It won’t always happen but it’s a goal. Played this morning but I really want to go back to range this afternoon

I’m trying to get in a range session per day. It won’t always happen but it’s a goal. Played this morning but I really want to go back to range this afternoon
If you're working on drills, a net can be so invaluable. It's easier to sneak out and hit balls 15-30 minutes a couple times a day.

Well, I've been doing nothing but swing training since the end of the 2020 season, so I guess that'd be a "yes"
lol.gif

If you're working on drills, a net can be so invaluable. It's easier to sneak out and hit balls 15-30 minutes a couple times a day.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

The work is worth it 👊. I’ve put in a ton of reps over the past couple of years and I don’t think I’d even be close to where I’m at without being able to sneak out to the garage when I can and grind on something.

I’m lucky that range is 5 minutes via golf cart.

Title says it all. If you had a chance at lessons do you have the time or willing to find the time required to make changes to swing. Lessons are great but if one can’t or isn’t willing to spend the required to practice what are you accomplishing.

One reason I doubt I will ever take lessons again. It always felt like the instructors wanted lessons too fast and I did not have time to really ingrain it.

So I have been building my own swing for a bit. I am taking the time to make the tweaks...my range rat time this past week included one 2-hour round and close to 8 hours of practice, some of ir pretty detailed.

I have neither the time nor inclination. I’ve been playing 35 years with a self taught swing so changing the smallest thing is super tough. I also feel I know my swing pretty well, so lessons for me really isn’t that beneficial.

It's not just the effort - it's also the supervision.

Yes i do the work and try to work on something everyday! I will even check in with my coach to tell him what i am working on to make sure it is correct. The payoff is so worth it when you are playing good golf.

Absolutely. I’m not going to get where I want to be without lessons along the way

Yep...weekly or fortnightly lessons with my kids. Definitely put in the instructor work, try to play and work outside that as well. Where I need to do better is golf exercises and fitness and diet

I hit foam balls in the back yard so I can alternate between gardening and golf during the day.
Recently retired I can practice about five days a week as the weather allows.

If I’m taking lessons then I always find time to get out to the range and practice what I learned. I also have a hitting area in the basement so I use that too.

I feel this to my core.

Though it varies by part of my game.

My full swing feels like it's very close. I love what my instructor has got it to. It's just temperamental in that when I'm off, my misses are really bad - and when it's on, I can play as good of golf as I can dream of.

Where I really need help is short game. But I'm almost in a mental place with it right now. I've taken lessons. I can make every shots all over the short game practice area....but in a round it's almost like the dreaded word comes up. I don't know if lessons can do anymore here.

Putting is strange for me. Putting is the one natural part of the game for me. The more mechanics I put into my stroke or putting too much of a formal process into putting...the worse I putt. I do better when I just visualize the shot and roll the ball. I leave that part alone. (Though I did have the dreaded Y word there for a few years and an instructor fixed it in 5 minutes by moving me to a claw grip.)

Last edited:
The only lessons and practice time I’m willing to invest in at 59 years old are putting lessons. I’m content with the rest of my game and no longer have any desire for any lengthy range sessions. Lower scores are more dependent now on strength and flexibility workouts at the gym.

Before I moved to Georgia I lived next to a lighted driving range and I'd spend 4-5 nights per week with my son hitting balls. My game was in a good place. For the past 11 months it's gone in the other direction. My work schedule has a lot to do with it.

Back