Let’s Talk Club Building

Time to order some epoxy and other club build items. I’m itching to build something.

Got some new shafts in the mail today. Pretty excited to try these out.
F7041301-E027-4731-B10C-401F6379919E.jpeg

I have an old oak teacher's desk in the garage which is my work bench. Have a vice on it, a swing weight balance, shaft puller and a box full of misc. ferrules, butt and tip weights, adaptors, head weights and the usual stuff. Started when I had a club reshafted at a Golfsmith and the swing weight was way off what I'd requested.

Ot
All matched I'm assuming?
Not exactly. The fitting was very interesting in that regard. Different flexes and bend profiles to achieve different results and to move the strike point.

Ot

Not exactly. The fitting was very interesting in that regard. Different flexes and bend profiles to achieve different results and to move the strike point.
In person with the shafts then & not the online system?

I would definitely recommend having an in person fitting for these shafts. The online fitting tends to recommend stiffer shafts.

Their fitting chart does a better job of steering you to the right shaft.

I was fit into the 18 LO for driver playing an inch shorter than I currently play, the 17 HI for my 3 wood and the 17 LO for my 5 hybrid. Gained distance and improved dispersion with all three clubs.

A little club building has commenced.
IMG_2996.jpeg

First shaft pull completed. Wilson Dynapower adapter installed on the UST Mamiya LIN-Q shaft. Excited to start doing this more often for myself.

Anyone have a good guide on how to set up a shorter driver shaft?

I've seen mix things about having to get a stiffer shaft than usual, 1/2" of the handle loses, three swing weights, but adding 2grams on the head adds a swing weight, so for that you want to get a heavier shaft instead and/or lighter grip. Starting to go down the rabbit hole of confusion. o_O

I've seen mix things about having to get a stiffer shaft than usual, 1/2" of the handle loses, three swing weights, but adding 2grams on the head adds a swing weight, so for that you want to get a heavier shaft instead and/or lighter grip. Starting to go down the rabbit hole of confusion. o_O
Focus on head weight IMO. Maybe a 10 gram heavier shaft. Your math is right. 1/2” length = 3 weights, 2 grams head weight = one point.

The shorter the shaft, the lower the swing weight. I've done this before and I stuck with my normal shaft weight. I feel like going heavier would make the swing weight even lower. Depending on how low you go you may need to add a good bit of lead tape to the head to reach your desired swing weight. Couldn't find the picture, but I cut down a Bridgestone driver to 44" a few years ago and had to cover a large portion of the sole with tape to get it back to D2-3. https://billybobsgolf.com/ is a good resource if you're looking for weights for more recent drivers.

I put a $25 0.370 hybrid shaft in a 0.335 adapter for Callaway heads. The tip of the shaft is thick so I filed it down to fit.
42 inch length with a 2015 GBB head. Swing weight B5. That works for me.

I bought two at that price, so I put the 2nd one in 0.335 Taylormade adapter. I used my machine shop lathe to turn down the tip of the shaft.
Ladies Stealth head. 42 inches as well. Swing weight C2 matches most of my clubs.

Heavy swing weights are more of an issue for me than too light.
I experimented with weights and lead tape but that didn't help me swing any club.
But, it took a fitting before Iearned how to choose a club!
I was able to swing good and bad clubs in a short time to see the difference.

Last edited:
I put a $25 0.370 hybrid shaft in a 0.335 adapter for Callaway heads. The tip of the shaft is thick so I filed it down to fit.
42 inch length with a 2015 GBB head. Swing weight B5. That works for me.

I bought two at that price, so I put the 2nd one in 0.335 Taylormade adapter. I used my machine shop lathe to turn down the tip of the shaft.
Ladies Stealth head. 42 inches as well. Swing weight C2 matches most of my clubs.

Heavy swing weights are more of an issue for me than too light.
I experimented with weights and lead tape but that didn't help me swing any club.
But, it took a fitting before Iearned how to choose a club!
I was able to swing good and bad clubs in a short time to see the difference.
I sure hope nobody is around when you're using those clubs, because there's a very good chance those shafts will break. You should never make a shaft tip smaller to fit a bore. The correct practice is to ream the hosel of the club to accept the bigger shaft, if doing so will still leave enough wall thickness to be safe. Or, just buy a shaft with the correct tip diameter in the first place. I'm not trying to be preachy, but what you did to those shafts is unsafe.

I sure hope nobody is around when you're using those clubs, because there's a very good chance those shafts will break. You should never make a shaft tip smaller to fit a bore. The correct practice is to ream the hosel of the club to accept the bigger shaft, if doing so will still leave enough wall thickness to be safe. Or, just buy a shaft with the correct tip diameter in the first place. I'm not trying to be preachy, but what you did to those shafts is unsafe.

Would totally agree -- do not hit those anywhere around others. Make think some guys name Charpy and Izod would turn over in their graves if they read this.

According to launch monitor data, my club head speed tops out at 80mph. I calculate that reduces the stress on the shaft considerably.

I feel like building something! Now to determine what!!!

According to launch monitor data, my club head speed tops out at 80mph. I calculate that reduces the stress on the shaft considerably.

sounds good, good luck hope it works for you -- but for me I still would not do it and would not even do it on a putter shaft.

Something I learned from having the Hogans built. Ben Hogan heads are quite light to begin with. So, depending on what swing weight your are aiming for, you might have to get the weights directly from BH. They are specific to Hogan irons and other weights will not work.

Back