Let’s Talk Club Building

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to build clubs. I like to grip clubs. I like to analyze and measure clubs. Figured it would be good for a thread for others that have “issues” like me.

Do you have a shop, mini shop, garage or kitchen sink? What are your favorite building tools? Got some tips and tricks?

This thread is all about the lunatic fringe

Gripping clubs over the sink is the extent of what I do so far (I’ve installed a few adapters). But within the next couple months, I want to get a shaft puller so I can start working totally on my own stuff.

eventually get a SW scale and loft and lie machine too. I’d love to do club work for friends and possibly more than that eventually too

• Admin
I love building clubs as much as golfing. Have a setup that allows me to do all that I want, or need to do. If I was going big I’d get a shaft analyzer to top it off but I’d have to do this full time for that.

Ooo, this is fun.
I'll try to do a write up for my ultra budget setup which has let me dabble in club building and, more importantly, hasn't screwed anything up yet. :LOL:

I’ve got a full workbench with puller, digital swing weight scale, CPM machine, and golf saw/sander combo.

In the garage is the deluxe grip station and a Mitchell loft and lie machine.

Ooo, this is fun.
I'll try to do a write up for my ultra budget setup which has let me dabble in club building and, more importantly, hasn't screwed anything up yet. :LOL:
I look forward to that. I’ve started down this slippery slope solely from my garage. A heat gun would be my only ‘special‘ took so far. My ’gripping station’ is a bunch of clamps to the ‘work bench’ which is a heavy sheet of play wood on top two saw horses. I’ve done close to ten clubs. Been trying to decide if I want to reshaft my gamers as all my club work so far has been on projects and side clubs, not anything that sees time in my bag so far.

This is something I have always wanted to get into and just haven’t. I put my own grips on at work as they have a vice I can use. Would love to be able to switch out my own sleeve adapters as it costs $25 each time I do it, and I do it fairly often. Just need to get motivated to say screw it and finally do something about it.

Gripping clubs over the sink is the extent of what I do so far (I’ve installed a few adapters). But within the next couple months, I want to get a shaft puller so I can start working totally on my own stuff.

eventually get a SW scale and loft and lie machine too. I’d love to do club work for friends and possibly more than that eventually too

I think there is a definite need around my area for this as there really is no club builders no more. Used to have a couple of guys locally that dabbled in components and non oem stuff, but they closed up well before the golf boom that has hit.

I love to do all of that, but I just don’t have the space. All I do is change grips on my clubs

I've got the bare necessity to regrip and build. Haven't gone so far as measuring swing weights etc.

I enjoy it a lot. It is a fun little side job to keep my minds off things. Especially handy when a friend needs some work done for a repair.

We really only have 1 shop here that does clubwork. Used to frequent them a lot, but since I started doing the work, I rarely need to go get extra help.

This is kind of the final frontier for me that I am just starting to I dip my toes into. I don’t have much equipment at home. But do have access to the rest of what I need.
I just built my first set. I think they turned out good. Looking forward to doing more building.

all I really have is epoxy and shafting beads, some ferrules, a club ruler. Then I have lead tape I can take to a swing weight scale since I don’t have the equipment or the know how to figure out swing weight before hand. So I just assemble them add tape to get to the weight I want.

A5BBCE8A-E280-418B-80E1-D2AD2FB8DAD5.jpeg
C3E0F509-0974-41A8-A212-0E6931B76669.jpeg
634C4F2C-7883-4B10-9430-3201B263F09E.jpeg
Needs a bit of cleanup and organizing but it’s been way worse.

Built my own buildup tape dispenser system to make quick work of it too.
BCE11B85-7A5D-4670-BD5B-1A8349D4554C.jpeg

I don’t have a club building station but I change pretty much all my buddies grips. Have a vise with shaft insert and use a spackle pan to catch the solvent. I have cut shafts and put adapters on l, but wouldn’t mind a shaft puller in the near future.

I do most club work in my unfinished building. It's low, dark, and and not too clean, as it's an old farm house built in 1888. My next step is a loft/lie machine and sw scale to really build clubs the correct way.

I love to regrip clubs & build clubs.
I need to talk LDax into a full set up.

I’ve replaced a broken iron shaft, glued a driver shaft and replaced grips several times, really enjoyed it and have always envisioned diving deeper but don’t have the space and all the proper tools.

As opposed to on the grip Station?
Use the grip station and dispenser for double sided tape these are single and double build up tape makes it easier to reduce taper in grips or whatever you’re trying to accomplish.

Use the grip station and dispenser for double sided tape these are single and double build up tape makes it easier to reduce taper in grips or whatever you’re trying to accomplish.
Oh gotcha. For single sided yeah that makes sense. Mine is just in a roll under station. I like this idea.

I’d love to get a nice setup to do some serious club work. I’ve built a set of irons, re-shafted another, and do all my own grips. I bet the two iron sets I did had swing weights all over the place.

Back