Plinyyounger

Magistrate Ancient Rome
Reaction score
Handicap
fake peopl
Who has purchased one of these? I bought an LG 65 B6 recently and when used with Netflix and/or amazons 4K HDR content, I couldn't be happier! Had the Mr. Hicksta over and he was impressed too.

Sony is is coming out with an OLED in 2017, I may have to check one of those out for the bedroom!

what are you using for 4K HDR content?

I have the 65EF9500 that I purchased late January after CES. It's the 2015 model and I've been extremely happy with it - the picture still is not as good as my older plasma sets but looks better than any other non plasma TV I've seen anywhere. I still hate seeing 3 balls when watching golf as the ball descends from the shot.

07b0b34fa9b9ff07e93a3df32e5e600e.jpg

The majority of HDR content I use comes from Ultra HD movies I buy - the picture is just jaw dropping having essentially uncompressed content versus streaming like Netflix or YouTube.

Everything runs through a Denon receiver - AVR-X7200WA. I am so glad i ponied up and future proofed because I already have a number of friends that have to do all sorts of goofy stuff to get HDR and Sound coming through their receiver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who has purchased one of these? I bought an LG 65 B6 recently and when used with Netflix and/or amazons 4K HDR content, I couldn't be happier! Had the Mr. Hicksta over and he was impressed too.

Sony is is coming out with an OLED in 2017, I may have to check one of those out for the bedroom!

what are you using for 4K HDR content?

I've never looked at the LG's before, they aren't bashful about their prices. Is it a noticeable improvement over a Samsung SUHD?

I've never looked at the LG's before, they aren't bashful about their prices. Is it a noticeable improvement over a Samsung SUHD?

It's the technology. OLED is significantly more expensive to produce, especially in large sizes. LED has become a commodity which is why LED tvs are so much cheaper. Once more companies adopt OLED, prices will drop significantly. It's no different when LEDs came out. Plasma was much more affordable but the manufacturing processes got so good that Plasma could not compete on price with LED, which is why we see LED as the dominate technology and not Plasma.

I have the 65EF9500 that I purchased late January after CES. It's the 2015 model and I've been extremely happy with it - the picture still is not as good as my older plasma sets but looks better than any other non plasma TV I've seen anywhere. I still hate seeing 3 balls when watching golf as the ball descends from the shot.

The majority of HDR content I use comes from Ultra HD movies I buy - the picture is just jaw dropping having essentially uncompressed content versus streaming like Netflix or YouTube.

Everything runs through a Denon receiver - AVR-X7200WA. I am so glad i ponied up and future proofed because I already have a number of friends that have to do all sorts of goofy stuff to get HDR and Sound coming through their receiver.

THP TV will be 4K in 2017....:D

It's the technology. OLED is significantly more expensive to produce, especially in large sizes. LED has become a commodity which is why LED tvs are so much cheaper. Once more companies adopt OLED, prices will drop significantly. It's no different when LEDs came out. Plasma was much more affordable but the manufacturing processes got so good that Plasma could not compete on price with LED, which is why we see LED as the dominate technology and not Plasma.

Thanks for the rundown, admittedly I'm a neophyte in this arena.

THP TV will be 4K in 2017....:D

Nice. In HDR too with atomos 11.2 audio? Because that wouldn't be excessive or anything.

Both sets are fantastic. Oled's though have an advantage in that each led can open/close independently creating true blacks which creates amazing dynamic range.

I was going to buy the Samsung version, but changed my mind while at the store because of the great deal I was offered at the time. The sets were almost the same price, so I asked the salesperson (this was a Video only store) what he would buy for himself and he chose the OLED, I took his recommendation and have been very happy.

Both sets are fantastic. Oled's though have an advantage in that each led can open/close independently creating true blacks which creates amazing dynamic range.

I was going to buy the Samsung version, but changed my mind while at the store because of the great deal I was offered at the time. The sets were almost the same price, so I asked the salesperson (this was a Video only store) what he would buy for himself and he chose the OLED, I took his recommendation and have been very happy.

I could never really see the "bleed through" light in the stores but when I am watching a friends Samsung SUHD it's really noticeable after being use to Plasma Black and now OLED black.

Good feedback - thanks, I'll have to check them out soon.

Awesome set Wubear! I agree regarding 4K HDR content, I have never seen a picture as good as the OLED provides, it is amazing! Regarding picture ghosting with sports action etc, I'm not having any of those issues.

Nice. In HDR too with atomos 11.2 audio? Because that wouldn't be excessive or anything.

No sir, but I think you are going to love what you see. And accessing it will be a snap.

Nice! It does make a big difference!

Thanks my friend. We think so too, even if just to scale, which is not what we will be doing.
We have OLED on one set, LCD on one and LED on the other and OLED is top notch. Our LCD is LG and when we go to OLED on our biggest set (75"), it will be LG again.

i have the 2016 model in 65" in my office at work. I just bought an Xbox One S to take advantage of the 4K since my Apple TV doesnt do 4K.

i have the 2016 model in 65" in my office at work. I just bought an Xbox One S to take advantage of the 4K since my Apple TV doesnt do 4K.

Nice! 4K is great, but if you get a chance watch some HDR on it, amazon, Netflix as well as you tube have content. Try the amazon show The grand Tour, it is a good example of HDR.

Yeah Pliny's TV is ridiculously clear, and 4K makes regular HD look silly. I plan on upgrading my going on 7 year old 55" Samsung 6300 series next year and I'm quite certain the next TV will be OLED.

cdd13c784abe3b39320efd435596a0d0.jpg

Didn't realize I had to turn HDR on and of course it's under a proprietary name.

cdd13c784abe3b39320efd435596a0d0.jpg

Didn't realize I had to turn HDR on and of course it's under a proprietary name.

Lol, yep. It's either called HDR or Dolby vision, both look great!

What do you think?

What do you think?

It was called HDMI Deep Color.

So far so good. I want to see an uncompressed source to get the full effect.

What do you think?
The color on that picture is popping good, but I wonder how much of that is the color saturation effect being cranked up?

The Deadpool 4K ultra Blu-ray Disc is just a sick example of the quality difference. After watching it on 4K HDR apple 1080p streaming looks like poo.

The color on that picture is popping good, but I wonder how much of that is the color saturation effect being cranked up?

I listen to a podcast called the "tech guy" and he has two certified calibration techs discussing the lg's. They said the non-HDR settings did require some tweaking but was overall pretty accurate. They also said the HDR mode on the sets is pretty good out of the box.

Colors do pop, especially in vivid HDR mode (there are three diff) bright mode and standard HDR mode are less bright.

I listen to a podcast called the "tech guy" and he has two certified calibration techs discussing the lg's. They said the non-HDR settings did require some tweaking but was overall pretty accurate. They also said the HDR mode on the sets is pretty good out of the box.

Colors do pop, especially in vivid HDR mode (there are three diff) bright mode and standard HDR mode are less bright.

Off topic but that's a solid podcast.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161223/07b0b34fa9b9ff07e93a3df32e5e600e.jpg[/IMG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

My suggestion is by highend hdmi cable and that should help. I had a friend with the same issue and highend hdmi cable fixed that problem

Back