List your favorite coaches

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
any sport, either major university or professional.

Jerry "the shark" Tarkanian
Bum Phillips
John Madden

Jerry Sloan, the former NBA player and coach passed away on Friday, after fighting a long battle with Parkinsons and a form of progressive dementia. He is a beloved figure in Utah. Although Professional sports is more about the athletes than the coaches, there have been many bright stars. In college, it is often more about the coach than the athletes. Do all of you have some favorites?

I give major props to college coaches who get results without having the most elite talent in the nation. Mostly mid major guys at some point for a decent part of their career. See Chris Peterson (former) Mark Few, Pat Hill (alma), Brad Stevens (former), Randy Bennett.

While elite program coaches are definitely great coaches I just think others do a lot more with less and they are fun to root for. On the west coast I have favorite college programs I follow and the coaches are a big reason why they are successful but on the national stage they aren't as noticeable.

Bill Belichick.

There, I said it. Come at me, bro.

You are not even from New England.
Nope. Born and raised clear at the opposite end of the country, so I can't even be accused of being a homer.

Mike Small - University of Illinois golf coach. Accomplished player in his own right. I think 9 of last 10 Big Ten Championships.

Jurgen Klopp
Bobby Knight
Woody Hayes
Jim Tressel
Urban Meyer
Dan Gable
Bill Walsh

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frank Layden...........funny!
Bobby Knight..........meltdowns.
Andy Reid........perseverance.
KC Jones......... cool & calm
John Wooden
Doc Rivers......great stories and a great guy.

Always liked Rick Majerus’s attitude, humor and coaching. Also liked Joe Madden for giving me a World Series in my lifetime!🤣
I think after awhile his style might wear on players but no doubting he can bring enthusiasm to a club!

QMZXN3M4WIKRTVFYIENZCIFT4I.jpg

Tom Landry. His innovations are still practiced in the NFL and also NCAA.

Fred Sheri- Broad Street Bullies.One is the toughest teams ever to win the cup. They struck fear in teams coming into the Spectrum

Tom Landry. His innovations are still practiced in the NFL and also NCAA.
Landry is a legend. The biggest thing I remember about seeing him on the sidelines was the always-present fedora hat, along with the coat and tie.

1. Pat Burns
2. Pat Quinn
3. Punch Imlach

Tom Coughlin - he was the head coach while I was a student at BC, and then went on to coach my favorite team to 2 Super Bowls. Plus what he does for The Jay Fund charitable organization- clear favorite in my book.

Bum Phillips was a favorite of mine back in the day. It was his sideline personality that was interesting.

I liked Vince " We never lose a game. We just run out of time" Lombardi too. .

I met Jerry Tarkanian at some shin dig one night. Thought he was an alright guy. He was lot better person than his son turned out to be.

Tommy Lasorda was another favorite of mine. Some of his arguments with plate umpires were classics.

I haven't followed any coaches for many, many decades.

Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, woody Hayes

Phil Jackson, Terry Francona, Mark Hargrove

As much as i hate to say it...Joe Torre

Bruce Bochy
Greg Popovich

I was thinking about this because there are quite a few great coaches with Utah ties (Utah being home for me):

LaVell Edwards is one of the all time great college coaches, who revolutionized the passing attack at the college level.

Urban Meyer got the University of Utah into a New Years Day Bowl, the first non-major school to break through.

Dick Motta first coached at Weber State in Ogden, Utah.

Rick Majerus was a legendary basketball coach at the University of Utah.

Frank Layden is well known and probably saved the Utah Jazz from being sold and moved from Salt Lake City.

Jerry Sloan was a hall of fame coach for the Jazz.

Kyle Whittingham is a very well respected PAC 12 coach at the University of Utah.

Coach K
Popovich
Phil Jackson
Jimmy V

Back