Long Iron or Hybrid? Why do you play what you play?

I prefer hybrids because they give me more distance than irons and I find they are easier to hit.

Hybrids because I typically better contact and hit them higher, affording a softer landing on approach shots into the greens, than long irons.

I've been playing with a 22° (21 bent to 22) Callaway UT for 3 1/2 years now instead of the 4 iron.
I've gone from the original UT to the Apex UT and have seen (but not hit yet) the X Forged UT and definitely prefer the look at address - much less offset.
Have also been playing an 18° TM hybrid for a long time (current is the R-15). These both fill my gaps from 210 - 235 yds.

Last year I put a 26° Hogan Ft. Worth Hi in the bag for the 5 iron and I Love it. Looks like a long iron at address, but I get a higher, boring trajectory and it really goes if I step on it.
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Tour Edge Exotics EX9 16° hybrid to take the 3-wood spot. Still not sure about the shaft, but have only hit it a few times yet. Once the weather warms up I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces.

So I guess I'm not sure if the Hi & UT are classified as long irons but they look similar at address but perform better. I haven't had a fairway wood/metal in the bag in about 4 years so guess I am a hybrid guy as well ?

Hybrids - The Ping Karsten 3/4/5 hybrids (19° / 22° / 25.5°) that are part of the set are easy for me to hit straight and high without resorting to swinging hard. Even the Launcher 4i that gets occasional tee-off action is basically a hybrid, albeit without bulge/roll.

I am in the middle of trying some long irons instead of hybos. I can go back and forth but with the new higher launching longer irons, even in the players cavity genre, I am enjoying the performance.

I am in the middle of trying some long irons instead of hybos. I can go back and forth but with the new higher launching longer irons, even in the players cavity genre, I am enjoying the performance.

Do you have a C300 3i in hand?

ETA - I guess I should just read your signature :beat-up:

Ironman, the miss is playable and off the tee on short P4's it's a confidence builder. Also enjoy pulling them on approach at longer P5's.

I liked my epic hybrid until I got my 3 flihi... I feel more comfortable hitting the 3 flihi than any hybrid.

I used hybrids my whole life until I got my new irons, which I have 3-PW. I've found them easier to hit as my ball striking and swing speed have improved, though I still don't hit them great.

I can hit a 5i well, or well enough so I play it. Have a UT in the 3/4i spot that I like and a 2/3 hybrid(18*). I play what I hit best or fits the spot in the bag. Part of why I like the 3/4 UT instead of a hybrid is if I miss it will most likely be short and playable, not off the planet sideways out of play. Same reason I play a 2/3 Hybrid instead of a 5 wood even though the 5 wood goes farther.

I played a 2-3 hybrid wheni had no confidence in my 3 wood, then I got better with the wood so I dropped the hybrid. But then I was struggling to hit my 4 and 5 irons so they were replaced with hybrids and I put a 2-3 hybrid back in the bag as a driving iron replacement.

But I had the issue of only being able to hook the hybrids, or just hit a baby draw if I opened by stance up.

So I learned to hit my irons better to the point that now I carry a TMB 3i and then my Cobra 4-PW. No more hybrids for me until I get to where I can't elevate my long irons.

I've played 4 and 5 hybrids for awhile because I like the higher ball flight. Too many times I leave myself a long approach, so these give me the best chance to hit and hold a green, especially when playing out of the rough.

BUT, I just purchased the Srixon Z 565s, and I was smoking the 5 iron (for me) yesterday, so I might be kicking the 5H out.

Hybrids. I really want to be a long iron player but it's a struggle. I have a "sweeper" swing and hybrids are a good fit for this. No sense in fighting it.

I always tend to buy my iron sets with the 4I included but just don't hit it consistently. My hybrid is far more consistently struck and gives me a nice high ball flight that I like.

Back