Looking For a Suitable Replacement For This Grip

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
So, going through my pile of random golf things. Lots of old headcovers and wrenches. Some gloves and shag balls. Came across this old gem. Thought I ran out of these years ago.

1615145244985.jpeg1615145512298.jpeg
A out of production Ping ID8 360 Cord grip. Yellow color code which I think is midsize. It’s going on my driver for old time sake. Replacing the Tour Velvet Cord I put on not long ago. The tour velvet cord just doesn’t have the texture I’d like. The cord seems small and it doesn’t grab in my hands like I’d want.

I put them side by side and it reminded me how aggressive the cord is in this old ping grip.

1615145533203.jpeg

So, I’m looking for a grip that has a similar texture to the ping id8. I’ve tried the crossline cord, the z cord, and now the tour velvet cord. None of them have the aggressive texture I’m looking for. The MCC+4 is alright in the meantime. But, the lower non-cord section seems to get too slick too quickly. I’ve seen some JDM grips that look like they’d do well. But, the cost is typically pretty high.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Have you considered sanding one of the GP cords? It will expose more.

Have you considered sanding one of the GP cords? It will expose more.
I haven’t. I’m about to pull this one off. I’ll test it out though and see how much difference it makes.

I haven’t. I’m about to pull this one off. I’ll test it out though and see how much difference it makes.
I had a conversation with someone at Golf Pride about those that want a bit more cord feel and he recommended that method to expose more

I had a conversation with someone at Golf Pride about those that want a bit more cord feel and he recommended that method to expose more

Did he recommend a certain grit sand paper?

Did he recommend a certain grit sand paper?
No, but I’m sure someone out there does. I didn’t ask much more because it’s not something I would consider. I’ll be there next months and can bring it back up though

It makes all the difference with the TV’s for those of us that use cords. I do it to all of mine.

Sanding sounds like an interesting idea. I have been using corded grips as long as I can remember and never heard of doing that.

How much does that thin out the grip though? :unsure:

Nothing a wrap or two of tape can't offset.
True but I was thinking about wearing it down from the outside from playing. :unsure:

Back