Luggage - Soft sided or Hard Sided?

Not convinced soft would have been better in that case
This. The amount of force it took to do that probably would've done the same to a soft sided piece.

New suitcase acquired, cannot travel home like that

My luggage is pretty much whatever my wife has or says is best. I have the Cobra backpack as a personal item.

I use hard. I help my mother in law with her soft sided. Don't like it.

I use a soft sided Macgregor travel bag, remove the heads off my driver, hybrid and fairway wood and put them in a zip section of my bag in their headcover. Use a strong arm to bolster it and I tie the clubs to the strong arm. Wrap my socks around the clubs, use iron covers for travelling only and put the iron heads to the bottom of the bag, then fill the gaps at the top with bubble wrap.

Leather duffles. Easy to pack, easy to store at destination.

Soft sided and as others have said, 4 wheels is a must. My wife and I are frequent travelers(she has 2.5 million miles with Delta not including her 3 years as a flight attendant). and we’ve had great durability from TravelPro, Tumi, and Briggs & Riley.

Last edited:
4 wheels is a must these days for me. As long as the hard case doesn't add too much weight (some do) (and I need every extra ounce I can get the way my wife packs), its probably the way to go. Just be warned the way the bag handlers throw the bags, a hard case one can break if another heavy bag is thrown at just the right angle, especially in the thin hard shell luggage.

I'm not talking golf travel bag I'm talking regular luggage. There are lots of hard sided and soft sided which is better or do you prefer?
soft. I see no need for the hard cases..

Soft sided for the wife and I. Found a deal few years ago on a full set of Ogio. When I travel to SD for work it’s a simple black duffel.

Delta has approved my damage report. Instead of giving me money for the one I already purchased they want me to pick one from their approved vendor. So I guess I'll have 2 suitcases now LOL

We do hard sides on our cruises however I had one crack by one of the wheels.
Think they get a little Brittle as time goes on.

I'll be in the market for another full size piece of luggage soon.

There was a period of time where I was traveling 75% of the time over about 5 years. As I went down the "one bag" rabbit hole, I came across a company called Red Oxx and their Air Boss bag. It's a shoulder bag with a fantastic design that can even fit in the overhead of RJ's to avoid lining up in the jetway to get your bag. You don't realize how much more room you get when you don't have to worry about wheels. Using packing cubes and the bundle method of folding clothes means my suits, sport coats, and slacks arrive wrinkle-free. The shoulder strap will absolutely not move on your shoulder. This is still the only bag I use for travel, and I've never had the need to check it on any domestic or international flight. It comes with a lifetime guarantee.

redoxx1.jpg

redoxx2 (2).jpg

Delta has approved my damage report. Instead of giving me money for the one I already purchased they want me to pick one from their approved vendor. So I guess I'll have 2 suitcases now LOL
That's not all bad

4 wheels is a must these days for me. As long as the hard case doesn't add too much weight (some do) (and I need every extra ounce I can get the way my wife packs), its probably the way to go. Just be warned the way the bag handlers throw the bags, a hard case one can break if another heavy bag is thrown at just the right angle, especially in the thin hard shell luggage.

The only issue with a hard case would be getting it into a car. Depending on where you’re travelling to I suppose, and if your hire car is an estate/tourer. Both have their pluses and minuses.

Four of us off to Spain on Sunday and we’ve hired a car. Only two of us taking our clubs with us because the other two have theirs over there. Will be a riot getting my mates solid case into one of the tiny Seats (Spanish VW) they give us at Malaga Airport.

I’ve always had a soft sided until this year. Bought a bigger hard side case for the TX trip and honestly I really liked it. Will likely go that route going forward

In my Younger healthy Back days it was multi Duffels that I carried over my Shoulders and maybe a 2 wheels Soft side (no 4 wheelers then). Duffel had days worth of Clothing in case of lost Baggage.
Now it's Hard high viz 4 wheel and a Backpack, again with days worth of Clothing. Haven't flown in 4 years now due to Covid cautions and now bad Back. I'd probably add locator Tags in my Luggage now if I were to fly again.

In my Younger healthy Back days it was multi Duffels that I carried over my Shoulders and maybe a 2 wheels Soft side (no 4 wheelers then). Duffel had days worth of Clothing in case of lost Baggage.
Now it's Hard high viz 4 wheel and a Backpack, again with days worth of Clothing. Haven't flown in 4 years now due to Covid cautions and now bad Back. I'd probably add locator Tags in my Luggage now if I were to fly again.

I’ve got locator tags for mine.

Hard sided. My wife prefers soft sided and she has had some things get damaged. Putting things in an outside pocket is convenient, but asking for it to get damaged. I always take a personal item as well (typically a backpack), and that is where anything goes that I need. Hard sided might break, but the items inside should be fine. And if not....soft sided would have been worse.

Back