lukemartin93's Club Champion Cobra Iron Fitting

lukemartin93

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
To prepare for my Morgan Cup bag ordering, I decided to get a full bag (minus the putter) fitting at my local club champion. I'll post the other club fittings in a different thread, but here was my iron fitting experience. A little background, I got into golf a few years bag, but still probably have less than 20 total rounds played. I typically shot in the 100's and my irons are my worst part of my game. I found my current gamer irons (Mizuno MP52) at a local thrift store for $30. They used to have a grab bag of graphite shafts and I recently changed them into DG S300s.

Going into the fitting, I had let the fitter know that I was only looking at cobra clubs. I hoped I would fit into the new forged tec x’s, but also thought that the LTDx would be more appropriate for my (lack of) game.

As I got to the bay, the fitter had me warm up and hit my gamer irons. My warm up shots seemed typical of how I hit my irons. I typically hit a slight fade, and my carry distances were consistent with what I’ve seen in the past. The fitter then started recording the data and had me hit a handful of balls with my 6 iron.

He noticed my irons that are a bit demanding for my game and asked if I was looking for a club that would be good for me today or one that I could grow into. As a new (and fairly optimistic) golfer, I told him that I would prefer one that I could grow into, but also wanted something that would be competitive during my MC Competition. He said that would mean likely the forged tec x’s or the mim tours (lol’ed at that). He didn’t have the regular Forged Tec’s so I did not try those.

We then walked through the data which was insightful and showed clear places I needed to improve. (I am still waiting on the actual data and will post it when I get it).

The biggest thing that stood out was the lack of efficiency. My ball speed was slightly higher than my club head speed. Not good, but it explained why I was not hitting the ball very far. My spin was also significantly high and so was my launch. He told me that if I got those lowered, my distances would drastically increase. He also showed me my club path numbers and attack angle (out to in path and hitting 1 degree up). This wasn’t something that he was going to try to change, but wanted me to know what all the different data points meant.

We started with the Forged Tec X’s, and immediately, they were miles better than my gamers, even though the shafts were not right for me (Kbs c-taper reg I believe). I only tried steel (not 100% sure why) but we did vary the weights and flexes and I ended up with stiff DG 105’s. They were the perfect match with the forged tec x’s for me. I felt like l could swing confidently and they just went and went straight.

As much as I liked them, I still wondered if I should be looking more at the LTDx irons as I thought they would be more forgiving and better for me today. He put some on the DG 105s and it did not go great. The LTDx head was noticeably heavier than the FT x’s and I had a hard time making solid contact with the ball. However, when I did make good contact, the numbers were still not as great as the FT X’s.

Since I was there, I figured I would also try the Mim Tours. They felt nice and I surprisingly hit them pretty well. But again, not as well as the FT X’s.

Lastly, we did a lie angle test. I think I hit three balls (two solid, one quite toe-y) and all showed that the standard lie was for me.

To prepare for my Morgan Cup bag ordering, I decided to get a full bag (minus the putter) fitting at my local club champion. I'll post the other club fittings in a different thread, but here was my iron fitting experience. A little background, I got into golf a few years bag, but still probably have less than 20 total rounds played. I typically shot in the 100's and my irons are my worst part of my game. I found my current gamer irons (Mizuno MP52) at a local thrift store for $30. They used to have a grab bag of graphite shafts and I recently changed them into DG S300s.

Going into the fitting, I had let the fitter know that I was only looking at cobra clubs. I hoped I would fit into the new forged tec x’s, but also thought that the LTDx would be more appropriate for my (lack of) game.

As I got to the bay, the fitter had me warm up and hit my gamer irons. My warm up shots seemed typical of how I hit my irons. I typically hit a slight fade, and my carry distances were consistent with what I’ve seen in the past. The fitter then started recording the data and had me hit a handful of balls with my 6 iron.

He noticed my irons that are a bit demanding for my game and asked if I was looking for a club that would be good for me today or one that I could grow into. As a new (and fairly optimistic) golfer, I told him that I would prefer one that I could grow into, but also wanted something that would be competitive during my MC Competition. He said that would mean likely the forged tec x’s or the mim tours (lol’ed at that). He didn’t have the regular Forged Tec’s so I did not try those.

We then walked through the data which was insightful and showed clear places I needed to improve. (I am still waiting on the actual data and will post it when I get it).

The biggest thing that stood out was the lack of efficiency. My ball speed was slightly higher than my club head speed. Not good, but it explained why I was not hitting the ball very far. My spin was also significantly high and so was my launch. He told me that if I got those lowered, my distances would drastically increase. He also showed me my club path numbers and attack angle (out to in path and hitting 1 degree up). This wasn’t something that he was going to try to change, but wanted me to know what all the different data points meant.

We started with the Forged Tec X’s, and immediately, they were miles better than my gamers, even though the shafts were not right for me (Kbs c-taper reg I believe). I only tried steel (not 100% sure why) but we did vary the weights and flexes and I ended up with stiff DG 105’s. They were the perfect match with the forged tec x’s for me. I felt like l could swing confidently and they just went and went straight.

As much as I liked them, I still wondered if I should be looking more at the LTDx irons as I thought they would be more forgiving and better for me today. He put some on the DG 105s and it did not go great. The LTDx head was noticeably heavier than the FT x’s and I had a hard time making solid contact with the ball. However, when I did make good contact, the numbers were still not as great as the FT X’s.

Since I was there, I figured I would also try the Mim Tours. They felt nice and I surprisingly hit them pretty well. But again, not as well as the FT X’s.

Lastly, we did a lie angle test. I think I hit three balls (two solid, one quite toe-y) and all showed that the standard lie was for me.

Nice writeup of your fitting. It seems that you had an informative and productive session.

It’s going to be interesting to see what you end up with.

That sounds like it was a good session. Great writeup! What did you think of sound and feel from the FTx and LTDx?

That sounds like it was a good session. Great writeup! What did you think of sound and feel from the FTx and LTDx?
I don't have they most experience hitting different irons thus my ear and feel are probably a bit lacking, but from what I recall, the FTxs just felt a bit more premium. The LTDx wasn't bad by any means, but it seemed more solid and less "soft" compared to the FTx. Also, the top view of the FTx was much more appealing to me compared to the chunkier LTDx.

Love love love reading about peoples fitting experiences! Sounds like you found yourself a solid winner in the Forged Tec X 🔥

Great write up 👊. Looking forward to seeing more from you during the ordering process as it sounds like your learning quite a bit along the way. What were you most excited to get fit for?

Great write up 👊. Looking forward to seeing more from you during the ordering process as it sounds like your learning quite a bit along the way. What were you most excited to get fit for?
Irons 100%. I knew they were not for me and I was glad the numbers proved it lol. My game as a whole has a lot of areas to improve on, but my irons were definitely a hinderance compared to my other current equipment

Good deal, sounds like the FTx will work well for you 🔥

Irons 100%. I knew they were not for me and I was glad the numbers proved it lol. My game as a whole has a lot of areas to improve on, but my irons were definitely a hinderance compared to my other current equipment
That’s fair. What’s the biggest strength in the bag right now?

Nice. The heads shouldn't be heavier persay. But I also feel like bigger heads are harder to rotate square at times.

That’s fair. What’s the biggest strength in the bag right now?
according to my one round on shot scope 😅, it would be my driving (which I would very much agree with). definitely didn't bring my best drives to the fitting, but I got it sorted out for the most part (to be continued lol)

Nice. The heads shouldn't be heavier persay. But I also feel like bigger heads are harder to rotate square at times.
That's what I thought, but the fitter said they were 🤷‍♂️ Said it was because the FTx is a hollow body iron for whatever that is worth

Good work. Glad you found some things that work for you

Really enjoyed reading about your experience. I've been thinking about going to CC to do a Mizuno exclusive fitting but not knowing the Victory Cup clubs will make doing that a little more difficult or maybe not even productive at all.

Really enjoyed reading about your experience. I've been thinking about going to CC to do a Mizuno exclusive fitting but not knowing the Victory Cup clubs will make doing that a little more difficult or maybe not even productive at all.
I'd definitely recommend the iron fitting (if they have the released irons). Its worth checking closer to the order date as they obviously had the FTx before they were released. I did notice they had the 921s which could be potentially close enough to the new stuff 🤷‍♂️ (though I am probably not the one to ask).

The wedge fitting was quite lackluster, but that may have been due to the fact they didn't have any cobra wedges

Did they have FTx in OL?

Very cool! Thanks for sharing your experience. Look forward to what your full MC bag ends up as!!

Every time i read of someomes fitting it makes me want to go do one. I need to scratch that itch.

It sounds like you had a very productive fitting! Really happy to hear it!

I especially appreciate your comparison of top line looks between the Forged Tec X and LTDx.

What set makeup would you go with?

That sounds like a really good fitting, and has just made me even more excited to hit the FTx when they arrive over here. I echo your thoughts about the Ltdx, I hit them well - high and far, but they did feel a little heavier to me. I'm not sure if 'heavier' is the right word for what I'm trying to describe but they just didn't click for me. You'll be striping them in October (but not too straight though, coming from a Hacker ;))

Glad you enjoyed your fitting but 🙄 at the fitter even mentioning MIM tours. I would have vetoed that in a nanosecond 😂😂

Sounds like you found a winner. Thanks for sharing!

Back