Mark Crossfield or TaylorMade: Who do you side with?

LOL, it was. It sort of looked like him in that get up. Was funny.
It was pretty good haha. When he turns around and then has the nose I had a good laugh.

I think this is a good question and I do thing THP does pretty good about it. It is also pretty natural to come away with good thoughts about companies after events and how good they are to us.

As far as equipment goes I tend to keep talking about the things that work well for me. The things that don't I am open about why they don't but then I tend to move on from that and talk about the things that do work.

I will say there is no instruction about what to say about products from the oem and the only thing I have heard JB say is just be honest.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it and I think we're coming from similar positions also. You in the Grandaddy and myself with ShaftUp, since they've both been mentioned in this thread previously.

I think what's forgotten in those instances is that we were fit to those clubs by some of the best in the business and it's easy to say good things about that equipment. It's not gear straight off of any rack, but there's always going to be clubs that just don't work long term.

If a review is comprehensive and done long term, it's up to the reader to decide if they trust it. You just can't please everyone all the time. Like what you heard from JB, he told us "if you like it, talk about it. If you don't, talk about that too." The point was to just create conversation about it the gear. Any conversations about gear are good.

The difference there though is that Peter Finch doesn't do club reviews on his channel

If you watch his video from a few days ago, Peter talks about the deal and states that if someone offered him a club deal he would take it because of the fact that he doesn't do club reviews like Crossfield or Rick Shiels

Ill tell you one thing, if any of them were offered a club deal they would take it regardless if he does reviews.

MC isn't just just getting free clubs, hes getting a salary.

We all have bills to pay.

First of all, I 'll always take the side of a company/business that decides how and when they will distribute their goods. Crossfield went on, what amounted to, an 18 minute whinefest about the fact someone didn't send him some free clubs for (gasp!) two years (the horror). I've heard the argument that this is how Crossfield makes his living and TaylorMade is taking food off his plate. Tough ****. If making your living relies on companies sending you, literally, thousands of dollars a year in "gimmes" then don't whine when you might have to dig a little deeper in the well (i.e your own pocket) to eek out a living. Wah, wah, wah......company X has decided that they don't want to fund my lifestyle. Seriously......**** off. His approach to this particular issue was way too much like a petulant child. Maintain a modicum of professionalism if you want people to take you seriously.

Add to that the fact that it doens't matter what the guy reviews it all ends exactly the same "Get fitted and try it for yourself". You can literally watch the intro to the video to see the club and automatically skip the same end of every single review and get the exact same bit of information for every singe club ever.

@ArmyGolf is absolutely correct about biases. We all have them and they're for a multitude of reasons. Like he said earlier: There are people with biases and liars. With tha being said, I don't think that it's impossible for a person with a bias to give an objective review. I'll watch review videos to get a baseline idea of a club but that's where it pretty much ends for me. For one, he guy reviewing the equipment doesn't play the same game that I do or can even relate to at this stage of my game. He's a scratch golfer or better. That's not to say that he doesn't understand my game but I sure as hell don't understand his. I read a quote from someone on here months ago (maybe it was Panda or Jman) that said they lied to watch women's golf because it was a game that they could understand. That they could relate to (as opposed to the game that the men play with their 300+ yard drives and 180 yard 9 irons). I feel the same way about club reviews. I form my decisions on whether to try something out more based on reviews/opinions of guys in this place. A perfect example is @Jman and @JourdaninMichigan and their driver choices. Both owned the Callaway Epic drivers. Both loved them and wrote about them on this site. In the end they both opted for the PING G400 as it produced better for them. As a guy looking for a driver PING was never really in my wheelhiouse as I've never really cared much for their products. I've never really been able to put my finger on it whether it was the club aesthetics, or the sound of their drivers, but They've never appealed to me. However after reading that they went away from, arguably, the hottest driver on the market because it worked better for them DOES have me considering giving the G400 a spin when I ultimately do go in and get fitted for a driver (will be the first for me ever). It doesn't mean that I'll buy one or that it will perform well enough for me to forego my, admitted, bias towards a Callaway product (I'm a Cally fanboi what can I say) but I WILL give it an honest go and it's directly because of these two forums members' personal experiences and their objectivity regarding the subject. It's real world users who may have weaknesses in their game that may closer resemble my own that I'll give more credence to, personally. The YouTube contingent? Not as much. It's self entitled douchebags like Crossfield that reinforce that notion more all the time.

TM is being ridiculous and should be called out. Their stuff should also be given good reviews by people who think so which MC has done many times. If TM wants to take their ball and go home so be it. Will all of the other companies do something similar all of a sudden if he makes fun of marketing bs(like he has done forever)? Doubt it. I have no doubt he will still give an honest take on things. Plenty of other good equipment out there.

The P790's are off the ponder list.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Let me ask one question. Can Mark Crossfield ever go on a vlog and say that a TM (or any other mfg for that matter) club is the best or better than a Titleist club? NO! He has handcuffed himself. Besides the fact that he likes to thumb his nose at any supposed technology a club has (that companies spend lots and lots of money marketing). I can understand why TM wants no part of him. It's a conflict of interest plain and simple.

Let me ask one question. Can Mark Crossfield ever go on a vlog and say that a TM (or any other mfg for that matter) club is the best or better than a Titleist club? NO! He has handcuffed himself.

Well, he kind of did that already, explaining why a 4 year old Ping G25 hybrid was better than anything in that slot that he tested with Titleist during his fitting, but I do see your point.

I think the only way we'll know if it has affected any objectivity is to wait and see if a biasing trend actually emerges during tests subsequent to him getting on staff. Until then, it's all just internet guesswork. The internet always makes a strong case on hearsay, conjecture and speculation. :D :good:

I just watched MC’s video on “Is one driver better than the other”. Though I agree with him on the message, he could do it without crapping on other Youtubers aka Rick Shiels. He didn’t say his name but we all know MC is talking about him.
Just the way MC says thing sometimes... dude have some filter in your head a little. Still crapping on TM too... I swear he’s going to be like that youtuber who filmed and uploaded his video on the Suicide Forrest in Japan. MC is going to say something really stupid and bad one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill tell you one thing, if any of them were offered a club deal they would take it regardless if he does reviews.

MC isn't just just getting free clubs, hes getting a salary.

We all have bills to pay.

I completely agree, I would take a club deal too if someone offered me one, but by taking that deal he has put that doubt in peoples minds that he can't be impartial any more and if I watched his reviews, that is what would stop me from taking what he says as truth

Personally I would find it quite amusing if he was to be fitted for the new TM gear and it actually performed a lot better than the Titleist gear (which obviously doesn't suit him all the way through the bag with the hybrid and 9i issues)

Finally sat through the whole thing (wish I hadn't), and he has a few decent points, but man, he makes some dangerous and potentially slanderous comments when he assumes Taylormade wanted him to "preach the Taylormade message and nothing else" when they were in talks with him which Titleist eventually won out...

I'm not saying I agree with either. But IMO Mark Crossfields video was brilliant. How many people are talking about him now? How many people know he's playing Titleist now? How many people are curious to see how his reviews will go moving on? Probably a whole lot more than if that video wouldn't have posted. Youtube viewers need views and this has got to be helping in the short run. Then he has to capitalize on it by keeping reviews honest.

I'm not saying I agree with either. But IMO Mark Crossfields video was brilliant. How many people are talking about him now? How many people know he's playing Titleist now? How many people are curious to see how his reviews will go moving on? Probably a whole lot more than if that video wouldn't have posted. Youtube viewers need views and this has got to be helping in the short run. Then he has to capitalize on it by keeping reviews honest.

This totally,

TBH I think its all a non-issue, but MC wants to milk it because it gets attention

It sounds to me like its just sour grapes on TM's part because they couldnt manage to sign MC to their staff. Considering what a Mizuno fanboy MC is, Im surprised to see him sign with Titleist in the first place. I guess we've all got bills to pay...

Everyone has to try to find a way to make the best living he can!! I just hope he doesn’t have to sacrifice his integrity in his future reviews!!

It sounds to me like its just sour grapes on TM's part because they couldnt manage to sign MC to their staff. Considering what a Mizuno fanboy MC is, Im surprised to see him sign with Titleist in the first place. I guess we've all got bills to pay...

MC has always needled TM products in his reviews, so his signing with Titleist coupled with his prior comments about their marketing/products were enough for TM to cut him off. In the end and in my opinion, both sides have to do what is best for them and move on. While this whole thing has drawn attention for MC, it could backfire down the road...as contracts aren't forever but comments (and videos) can come back to bite you later.

Never been a huge MC fan. Something about those thick rim Diesel eyeglasses...

Maybe. This whole baby tantrum has virtually locked in the fact that I'll never watch another Mark Crossfield video again. So, there's that, I suppose.

Maybe. This whole baby tantrum has virtually locked in the fact that I'll never watch another Mark Crossfield video again. So, there's that, I suppose.

Just came across the MC video from January 3 where he showed what's in his bag....and "shockingly" it's full of Titleist equipment, with the exception of a Ping hybrid. Of course he was quick to point out how this contrasted with TM's 'concern' in the letter they sent him about his ability to provide an unbiased review. To your point above, the antics are overly dramatic and I think I'm done with his YouTube channel for awhile. Moving on......

:banghead::deadhorse:

Back