Masters viewership -no bueno

OMG, I just reread my earlier post. Yes, I can read a chart. My problem is I have no clue what year it is. It's 2024 not 2022. Jeez.

I watched via YouTube TV, which I'm guessing would count as streaming too.

I watched via YouTube TV, which I'm guessing would count as streaming too.
The data I have seen is just CBS viewership...which was down. ESPN for days 1 and 2 was wayyyy up and that data had app viewership numbers.

In 1997 there was one way to watch the Masters.

Found Footage Video GIF by Eternal Family

I'm sure viewership was down, not sure if it was 20%. Would be curious to see how many more hours were watched on the app this year verses last year. That said it's true, LIV Golf has basically screwed up pro golf. It ain't going back till one of the tours goes out of business.

Right, everyone is watching online now, of course network numbers are down. who still has cable TV? Nothing to see here.

Those #'s don't include streaming and I for one watched all sat and sunday on Web streams at work.
If you added in all the folks like me I think it wouldn't be off by that much.

I watched it on the Masters app as we golfed 27 holes on a beautiful 74° day.

Viewership may have been down, but must say that the coverage and the app were excellent.

Of course it's down if using incomplete data

I watched some on the app and some on ESPN+.

I may or may not count based upon this thread. Sunday was fully on the app.

Live sports tv viewership down for most sports. Looking at the championships of the major sports leagues the numbers are down.

World Series viewership has been steadily declining since the early 90’s. 4 of the last 5 World Series are in the 5 least watched championships since tv viewership has been measured.

The NBA finals have been drifting down. Basketball had a nice bump from 2015-2019 when the Warriors and Cavs were going head to head. Ignoring 2020 the nba is down 40-50% from the 2016 peak.

Stanley Cup ratings are down and look like they are super dependent on who’s in the finals. Unless there is a traditional hockey city involved the ratings tank.

The only league not watching their championship ratings tank is the NFL.

It's the product not the game. People are in love with the game, they just don't want to watch it in its current form like they used to.

I usually watch on the app, on and off Thursday through Saturday because of work but Sunday is on the tv

Most of my watching was via app other than being there Friday.

Fred Ridley himself said viewership was down all across Pro golf.

The younger generation is stuck on Social Media and have no interest in sports.

In addition these exorbitant salaries and contracts watching sports is becoming to expensive.

DTV stream just moved GC to a higher tier package.

It's just a matter of time before other platforms move GC to higher tiers to pay for all those increased purses.

The sports bubble has burst.

The Masters had its third-worst Sunday viewership since 1997. And all three of those have come in the last five years. • 2024 - 9.589M• 2021 - 9.54M• 2020 - 5.64M. Last year, viewership was 12.06M. Viewership was down about 20% this year.

Was it the 4 shot win, the ongoing PGA/LIV saga or people just not interested that resulted in these viewership numbers. Perhaps they should give an exemption to Caitlin Clark.

View attachment 9257721
First and foremost, sports TV ratings are seemingly down across the board.

The 2022 NBA Finals averaged 12.40 million viewers, yet that number dropped to 11.64 million in 2023. The World Series ratings paint a similar picture with the 2022 Series averaging 11.762 million viewers compared to just 9.082 million viewers in 2023. Same thing for the past two Stanley Cup broadcasts. In 2022, 4.6 million viewers on average watched the Colorado Avalanche knock off the Tampa Bay Lightning; the following year that number dropped by 2 million.

The Super Bowl and men's World Cup, two of the biggest sporting events on the planet, are the outliers.

Looking back, the ratings for last month's Players Championship for what was to come at Augusta National. An average of 4.1 million viewers watched Scheffler find the winner's circle at TPC Sawgrass in 2023 while only 3.5 million viewers watched him win for a second-straight year in 2024.

And more : https://apnews.com/article/masters-2024-pga-liv-tv-ratings-a9aacc490c6e3b99e09c7c2f91641f23

" Masters chairman Fred Ridley said Wednesday on the eve of the opening round. “Certainly the fact that the best players in the world are not convening very often is not helpful. Whether or not there’s a direct causal effect, I don’t know. But I think that it would be a lot better if they were together more often.”

Its noted in this story by a player "“People are just sick of the narrative in golf being about, you know, contracts on LIV, purses on the tour,”

The masters is probably killing it on the streaming side. Its purely anecdotal but everyone I know uses the app.
Yep. I was using the app on my Apple TV connected to my 65” TV. I could have watched it through our YouTube TV subscription as well but the app was better.

The person that mentioned streaming is spot on. I found this data from ESPN Press Room regarding the 2016 Masters where ESPN offered streaming. " Golf fans streamed a record 25.8 million total minutes, a five percent increase from 2016, and the two-day average minute audience of 46,812 was up three percent from the 2016 record of 45,313. Friday’s second round stream from 3-7:30 p.m. ET earned a record average minute audience of 49,038 viewers."" And if you compare that to the OP's post chart, TV CBS numbers in 2016 of 12.40 million, it clearly shows cord cutters, and streamers via another service are impacting network viewership numbers.

I think it's a combination of a few things.

1) Viewership for everything individually is down --Because people have a million options
2) Golf doesn't have a dominant star , which sports like golf need to pull in casual fans
3) Ratings are an incomplete way to look at interest in 2024

live TV in general is dying. Typically the NFL makes up like 49 of the top 50 watched events on TV every year

come to think of it, the times I did tune in on Sunday, I watched it from the the Masters app. Found it more entertaining.

I streamed it and I'm sure many others did so I'd guess the numbers there were strong

I'm sure viewership was down, not sure if it was 20%. Would be curious to see how many more hours were watched on the app this year verses last year. That said it's true, LIV Golf has basically screwed up pro golf. It ain't going back till one of the tours goes out of business.
App views are up, CBS views are down, LIV's fault.

Over It Reaction GIF by filmeditor

Back