Maxfli StraightFli - does it really fly straighter than other balls? Thank you!

jackod

Reaction score
Maxfli StraightFli - does it really fly straighter than other balls? Is there something about the dimple pattern that makes the ball go straight? Thank you!

No.
It’s softer by design to reduce spin. Following the playbook of Bridgestone e6 and Callaway SuperSoft

No.
It’s softer by design to reduce spin. Following the playbook of Bridgestone e6 and Callaway SuperSoft

Not so sure about that. I think their Softfli is low compression and competes with e6 and SuperSoft. I think StraightFli compression is 80 - 85.

Not so sure about that. I think their Softfli is low compression and competes with e6 and SuperSoft. I think StraightFli compression is 80 - 85.

Compression numbers with modern cores are not as valuable as they once were as a sole determining factor. Yes the StraightFli has larger dimples, but it’s still a fairly soft ball. Each of the previous I mentioned didn’t skip the aero portion of the design 😀

Maxfli is a house brand owned by Dicks. They do not do their own manufacturing if that matters to people. Having tested these, there was nothing there that stood out vs other options in terms of flight in my opinion.

No.
Umm its not as soft as the SoftFli, its around 70 but the SoftFli is 40 or so.
I have played both the SoftFli and the StraighFli and would be hard pressed to say 1 is straighter than the other.

Reactions: JB
Umm its not as soft as the SoftFli, its around 70 but the SoftFli is 40 or so.
I have played both the SoftFli and the StraighFli and would be hard pressed to say 1 is straighter than the other.
I don’t think I said it was as soft haha
But that it’s a soft ball designed to reduce spin. It is 👍

It’s a decent ball. But not any better than my regular gamer - Srixon Soft Feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB
It's about an 80ish compression, and it does have a self-correcting dimple pattern, that is legal by USGA standards, but was taken from the Polara self-correcting dimple pattern, which was illegal. To be legal by the USGA, all dimple patterns must be symmetrical around the ball. The Polara was not symmetrical around the ball, with large dimples stacked on one side, with smaller ones mixed in on the other side. According to Maxfli, it is supposed to be 20% straighter than previous iterations of the Straightfli. I have never played the ball, but did play the Softfli, which is a 35 compression, comparable with the Callaway Supersoft..

Last edited:
For the price you can't beat it.

A couple of items I have noticed with this ball, playing it a lot lately.

It does help correct driver off the tee. Compared to the TP5 or Pro V it IMO self corrects about 1/3 of the way into the shot. The ball seems to land sooner and roll more
I don't know what causes it (maybe lack of spin). But from my highest loft wedge to ~8 iron I am picking up about 10 yards difference, when comparing to the POR V and TP5
The ball doesn't stop well around the greens, I really need to chip differently when using it. Basically playing it to roll out much farther.

For the price you can't beat it.

A couple of items I have noticed with this ball, playing it a lot lately.

It does help correct driver off the tee. Compared to the TP5 or Pro V it IMO self corrects about 1/3 of the way into the shot. The ball seems to land sooner and roll more
I don't know what causes it (maybe lack of spin). But from my highest loft wedge to ~8 iron I am picking up about 10 yards difference, when comparing to the POR V and TP5
The ball doesn't stop well around the greens, I really need to chip differently when using it. Basically playing it to roll out much farther.
I agree with this. My slices and hooks off the driver seem less pronounced. Definitely a little more roll. Wedges have less spin and stopping power.

No.
Well then how does it compare to the SoftFli which is softer? I have played both balls and they are def not the same but probably not too different.

I agree with this. My slices and hooks off the driver seem less pronounced. Definitely a little more roll. Wedges have less spin and stopping power.

Have you picked up any distance on your short irons? My buddy David who has a swing speed with driver 107 noticed short iron length, myself who is around low 90s and another buddy who plays them noticed about a full club pick up on short irons.

7 and 6 irons are about the same, but 8 and especially 9 on back I am noticing a huge uptick in length.

Just wondering if you noticed the same?

Have you picked up any distance on your short irons? My buddy David who has a swing speed with driver 107 noticed short iron length, myself who is around low 90s and another buddy who plays them noticed about a full club pick up on short irons.

7 and 6 irons are about the same, but 8 and especially 9 on back I am noticing a huge uptick in length.

Just wondering if you noticed the same?
I don't play them too often but I definitely noticed some extra distance in both my driver and irons. I feel like it's due to the lower spin.

The Straightfli is a firmer ball compared to the Softfli at 35 compression. I think the SF comes in in the mid 80's. The Cally Supersoft is 40 comp...

It's my understanding that spin is a product of distortion of the ball's cover. Distance is a product of the ball's compression. Golf is a game of spin and curves. It is spin that keeps the ball in the air. Any ball that is designed to produce low spin will have poor carry distance.

As an unashamed ball hawk in my course marshaling days, I can tell you this: the balls that are advertised as straight are going to be the ones you find farthest off line. The ones that claim to be longest will be the ones you find closest to the tee.

I don't hit the Softfli as far as a TopFlite XL, but it is not by much. With a 80mph swing speed, 230 on a drive with Softfli is about it. I can hit it 240, but I really have to choose my holes...

Maxfli StraightFli - does it really fly straighter than other balls? Is there something about the dimple pattern that makes the ball go straight? Thank you!
I don't think any ball flies straighter than any other ball.

I think dispersion is in the hands of the golfer, with maybe a little help with club head design.

I say this because I have a shag bag full of different brands, and models of balls. They all fly about the same when using my #1 gamer clubs.

The only time I see a difference in ball flights, is when I decide to take my Hogan Blades for a spin to just horse around. My poor dispersion is because of me trying to hit blades, with a slower than normal swing.:banghead:

I don't think any ball flies straighter than any other ball.

I think dispersion is in the hands of the golfer, with maybe a little help with club head design.

I say this because I have a shag bag full of different brands, and models of balls. They all fly about the same when using my #1 gamer clubs.

The only time I see a difference in ball flights, is when I decide to take my Hogan Blades for a spin to just horse around. My poor dispersion is because of me trying to hit blades, with a slower than normal swing.:banghead:

I don't about on side spin. I've seen my playing partner tee up both balls and that straight fli stops curving once it gets to a certain part of the shot, I experience the same and I am picking up more distance with my short irons. (Not debating we each have our own experiences).

I user shotscope for data driven analysis and when I am playing the straight fli (relative to the TP5s) I am getting almost 10 yards total distance and some carry with the straight flis. Maybe is just confidence in my own head, who knows....

All I know is that I found one on the course, and my game turned around on a dime! I was stinking it up last Saturday on the front(lost 4 Softflis), and a couple of holes on the back, found a Straightfli on 13, teed it up on 14, and parred 2 holes back to back. Played pretty good coming in, and I think I need more time to "test" this ball, with a few more rounds. With that being said, if it was that easy, we would all be playing a ball that "fixes" our game. Just saying that for me, it did check some boxes that needed fixing! My problem is an inconsistent swing, especially with the driver, not so much with the irons. So, if it helps me get out on the fairway, say 80%, or more, that is better than the Softfli I have been playing. Have to get to Dicks...

I did my own testing, and I didn't see much, if any difference in ball flights when compared to the e6 ball I use. Also about the same as the Pinnacle Soft balls I use to practice with.

Nothing against the Maxfli balls. If I had to, I'd use them.

All I know is that I found one on the course, and my game turned around on a dime! I was stinking it up last Saturday on the front(lost 4 Softflis), and a couple of holes on the back, found a Straightfli on 13, teed it up on 14, and parred 2 holes back to back. Played pretty good coming in, and I think I need more time to "test" this ball, with a few more rounds. With that being said, if it was that easy, we would all be playing a ball that "fixes" our game. Just saying that for me, it did check some boxes that needed fixing! My problem is an inconsistent swing, especially with the driver, not so much with the irons. So, if it helps me get out on the fairway, say 80%, or more, that is better than the Softfli I have been playing. Have to get to Dicks...
Have you heard of Dicks.com?

Have you heard of Dicks.com?
Yup. But I have 2 stores within 10 miles of me, so I don't mind driving. Besides, I like to check out the different depts. in the store besides golf. We had better be frequenting these brick and mortar stores before they close them. Ahem, ahem, Amazon...

Yup. But I have 2 stores within 10 miles of me, so I don't mind driving. Besides, I like to check out the different depts. in the store besides golf. We had better be frequenting these brick and mortar stores before they close them. Ahem, ahem, Amazon...
Oh, I was just repeating their new marketing campaign with Will Arnett & Kathryn Hahn... it cracks me up.

Back