Mesquite or Bend?

MrMom

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.2
My father, brother, and I are taking a short golf vacation in mid-April as a joint birthday celebration. We're trying to decide between Mesquite, NV or Bend, OR. We have time for 3 rounds of golf in either location. In Mesquite we'd most likely play Coyote Springs, Wolf Creek, and one of the Oasis Golf Club courses. In Bend we'd be staying at Pronghorn and playing both the Nicklaus and Fazio course, then top it off with either Crosswater or Tetherow.

Anyone have strong opinions on either location or maybe different course recommendations? Thanks!

I absolutely adore the Mesquite courses played them and had a good time.

Have never played in Bend, however I played a round with, I believe was the Super at one point for Pronghorn and he had some very nice things to say about the layout and courses there, but he may have been biased.

After NLU's Tourist Sauce videos, Tetherow looks like a tough track but one I'd like to try. Don't know much about the other courses. But I know Wolf Creek would be a big draw as well! Sounds like a fantastic time is the plan either way!

I don't know anything about either place except that mesquite is only 1 hour from Vegas. So I would go mesquite...golf during the day and Vegas at night

Haven’t played either but have looked at taking a trip to both in the past. Can’t go wrong with either.

My father, brother, and I are taking a short golf vacation in mid-April as a joint birthday celebration. We're trying to decide between Mesquite, NV or Bend, OR. We have time for 3 rounds of golf in either location. In Mesquite we'd most likely play Coyote Springs, Wolf Creek, and one of the Oasis Golf Club courses. In Bend we'd be staying at Pronghorn and playing both the Nicklaus and Fazio course, then top it off with either Crosswater or Tetherow.

Anyone have strong opinions on either location or maybe different course recommendations? Thanks!
I have golfed both places. Mesquite is an 90 minute drive for me.

Knowing what I know about both areas, I would golf the Bend Oregon area before Mesquite.

I use to love going to Mesquite for a golf weekend. Even thought about a retirement home there. However, once it really turned into a retirement community, the "snobbish" number of golfing retirees that now live there took it completely off my personal radar.

If you do go to Mesquite, make one of your stops at the Casablanca GC. jmo.

Mesquite.. for sure. The weather is always good. Lots of awesome courses there and just 30 min away in St George..

There are 20+ breweries in Bend...

To answer the OP, I haven't played any of the courses you listed.

I have never played Bend, but I love Mesquite. The weather should be great in April. If you like Vegas, it is close and so is St. George.

I'm not that much of a fan of Vegas because I have spent 2-3 weeks a year there for work for the past 16 years and have had to entertain salesmen and customers. I guess it was fun the first few times.

I haven't played in Bend, but I've played those mesquite courses you mentioned multiple times and still love them.

I went to Bend for work a few years back. Its such a beautiful city. I never had time for golf but I'd go back in a heartbeat and I'll go golfing there.

Portlander here. I haven’t played the Bend courses myself but I’ve heard that Pronghorn is A+, especially the Nicklaus side. Crosswater at Sunriver used to host a Senior Tour event, so it is good. Tetherow has actually gotten mixed reviews from the people I’ve spoken with.

Having said all that April may be too early. There are microclimates in Central Oregon - you will want to carefully check for snow in April. For example, Tetherow seems to me to be at elevation.

Travel could slso be a consideration. You will need to fly to Portland then get a puddle jumper to “Bend”, which is actually Redmond, about 1/2 an hour west of Bend. Tetherow is in Bend proper, south(?) side of town. Crosswater is about 15-20m east of Bend. Pronghorn is maybe 20-30 NW(?) of Bend. Nothing insurmountable for sure but food for thought.

Last edited:
If you are going to Mesquite, I would skip Oasis and take the drive to St George and play Sand Hollow. Loved Coyote Springs, but it's at least 45mins from Mesquite and in the middle of nowhere. We were also told to look out for speed traps once you get off the highway, although we did not see one.

I'd vote Mesquite....I'd include Sand Hollow. Coyote Springs is great so my guess is you are making the drive up from Vegas. So Coyote day 1, Sand Hollow day 2 and finish at Wolf Creek.

If the main focus of the trip is golf then Mesquite is definitely the better option. Wolf Creek, Sand Hollow & either Coyote Springs/Conestoga mixed in with some Vegas mischief is a pretty solid itinerary. When I use to travel a lot for work, Bend was definitely one of the coolest cities I took an assignment in. There is an endless amount of outdoorsie stuff to do and would be a more laid back option if the Vegas scene doesn’t suit y’all. Never played Pronghorn but I loved Tetherow. The worst part about playing golf in Bend is the realization that your just a few hours away from golf heaven.

I love Bend but in April the weather will be much warmer in Mesquite - highs in the 70’s vs highs in the 50’s. It can easily snow in Bend that time of year and I’ve had some epic ski days there in late March.

Have not been to Mesquite, but just did the Bend trip you are describing a year ago. Stayed at Pronghorn and played there and Tetherow. I absolutely loved it. The courses were great, and the Bend and surrounding area was amazing. If you are outdoor people, there are so many cool hikes to do between Smith Rock, waterfalls etc. However mid April could still be pretty chilly for golf.

Unfortunately, my brother and father don't care that much about playing spectacular golf, and just want to hang out and have fun. They gave Bandon a "hard pass" because of the potential weather and lack of night life. We've decided to go to Mesquite over Bend for the better weather. I lobbied for Sand Hollow but was outvoted. Looks like we're playing Coyote Springs, Falcon Ridge (nod to a previous trip) and Wolf Creek. It's not my dream itinerary, but good times will certainly be had by all.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with recommendations and advice!

Loved playing at Wolf Creek. Can't go wrong with views like this.

93CED449-04B4-4F04-8F79-13B7C3F2803E.jpeg

IMO Bend and it is not even close. Now if you are saying you will be just playing Wolf Creek and then adding St George course, that changes it a bit.

However, for the total experience, I would choose Bend every time. Wolf Creek is a cool course to play a couple of times, but the novelty wears off fast. Mesquite is a uninteresting and kinda of 'gross' place to stay.

Bend has lots of great restaurant, superb breweries and other spots, the mix of golf courses are wonderful. Plus the area is beautiful, clean and pleasant.

IMO Bend and it is not even close. Now if you are saying you will be just playing Wolf Creek and then adding St George course, that changes it a bit.

However, for the total experience, I would choose Bend every time. Wolf Creek is a cool course to play a couple of times, but the novelty wears off fast. Mesquite is a uninteresting and kinda of 'gross' place to stay.

Bend has lots of great restaurant, superb breweries and other spots, the mix of golf courses are wonderful. Plus the area is beautiful, clean and pleasant.

If you are looking for nightlife and fine dining, Mesquite is not the place to go, in fact we found out most dining places close by 9pm. However I did not find it "gross" in any way, our hotel was clean as was all the restaurants we went to. I would definitely take the drive to St George and play a few courses there, but if you are only staying a few days, Mesquite has plenty of good options for golf.

I've played a few courses in each area. I'd do Mesquite 9/10 times in April. In the summer no better place to be than the Pac NW though!

Sounds like you made your call, but another vote for Sand Hollow, it’s a great course. If you ever make it to the Bend area and are staying at Pronghorn, check out Brasada Canyons, it’s nearby. I just joined there and the views of the Cascades are great!

Sounds like you made your call, but another vote for Sand Hollow, it’s a great course. If you ever make it to the Bend area and are staying at Pronghorn, check out Brasada Canyons, it’s nearby. I just joined there and the views of the Cascades are great!
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the other guys didn't want to do Sand Hollow despite my pleading. Maybe next time. Congrats on joining Brasada! I've actually played that course once and it was a great time. It was in immaculate condition and the views were spectacular. Enjoy!

Back