Michelob Open at Kingsmill

WSE owes you for all those photos of Jeehae Lee!

The range of clothing on the same day always amazes me--rain suits, shorts, long sleeves, short sleeves. The weather was clearly all over the place.

Thanks Harry.

Love Jeehae's skort!

Thanks for the pics, Harry.

We're off to the course after a pancake breakfast with a friend. Likely I'll walk with spouse all day, which means we'll follow Lorena. Clear and sunny skies now, so maybe conditions are not so wet. Round 1 driving distances were an indication of that. I just checked Julieta's stat and it was 207 - seems like a typo, but she did finish dead last.

I'll try to post again this evening. Hope some of you get to catch the TV coverage.

Christina Kim is withdrawing because of food poisoning or perhaps a stomach bug.

Christina Kim is withdrawing because of food poisoning or perhaps a stomach bug.

I saw that on the leaderboard. A bad round, with one double bogey. Being +7 may have helped her make the decision.

With better weather today, looks like some players are already going really low.

More--the cut line is currently at +1, but the way things look, it's gonna drop. The first groups of players are finishing, and those hovering at +1 or E (or even -1 or -2) are going to have a long, nervous afternoon.

With better weather today, looks like some players are already going really low.

Can I call it, or what? Song-Hee Kim just finished with a 63. In-Kyung Kim, Yani Tseng, and Wendy Ward all shot 64. 59, anyone?

That 63 is amazing.

Here is a piece of twitter news I thought I'd pass along to the Gulbis fans out there (make some noise):

"@natalie_gulbis is playing with a whole new set of clubs this week and has 4 wedges in her bag for the first time."

Indeed, she's playing exceedingly well with that new set up: she shot -6 today, and currently is sitting at T5 while the later rounds continue.

After 11 holes, Lorena's at -6 for the day, -13 total so far. Woo hoo!

wow...impressive....most impressive but she is not a jedi yet.

Round 2 Report -

Great day, folks. We arrived at the course at about 9am. I caught Dorothy's 3some at the turn, then walked with them for holes 1-9. Ugh - she struggled with wayward drives again, but made pars on holes 5-9, so at least she's got consistency going into next week. When her round ended, I waited to say good job (or nice finish) and see you next week. She graciously invited spouse and I to the players party this evening at Busch Gardens. So fun. More on that later.

At the conclusion of Dorothy's round, I met up with spouse and we walked 10-18 with appx 250 other folks. Not too hard to deal with, expecially when you know where to walk and stand for the best views - and spouse has that well in hand. Lorena was very exciting to watch, but so were Jiyai and Angela. Birdies galore! Lorena fired a 31 in that stretch which included 3 birdies in a row - which I don't think I've ever seen. Spouse and I stopped for lunch at the 19th hole, then he went on to watch the conclusion of play for that 3some. Later he told me that she pushed her 2nd shot on 9, recovered ok, but missed a makeable putt for the bogey. Likely dissappointing for her, but she had the crowds delighted at seeing such stellar play.

While spouse walked Lorena's final 9 I watched some of the TV coverage, studied the caligraphy board. (I know it's old school, but I wish more events had these), then I got all gussied up to attend the player's party. This was a blast. Dorothy asked us to meet at the entrance to the Kingsmill Resort at the conclusion of play. Once gathered, we joined the others and were shuttled off to Busch Gardens. We were given gamecards loaded with free plays, then lead into the dining hall were it was food-a-rama! I'll guess there were between 200 and 300 people there. Open bar (many of the players don't drink alcohol, so water and sodas abounded) - I had to try the Michelob Ultra - gotta admit - there no there there. Lovely cheeses, fruit, etc. to snack on. Dinner was served at 7pm and consisted of grilled chicken, ribs, brisket, plus several salads, and sides. Desserts were wonderful - cheesecake, chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies,etc. Ha - I'm making myself hungry again! Anyway, it was very lavish, Dorothy and her brother/caddie were excellent hosts - making introductons, seeing that we all had what we wanted. The most fun, though was to sit and watch the parade of players come in, in casual dress with families or friends, laughing and just having fun. We left when a DJ or whatever they are called these days started to play music. Very fun. If you ever have the chance to attend one of these, don't miss it.

So Saturday, I'll likely follow Lorena for her front 9. After that, if the Lorena crowd gets too big, I may drop back and follow IK Kim, Wright and Tseng. Tired now. Night all.

Greaet report--thanks so much! How wonderful that you got to go to the players' party.

No kidding! So envious.

I hate ESPN.

Stupid pillar-box instead of widescreen and non-HD HD. Too many graphics on the screen again, and that farkin' ticker across the bottom of the screen 24/7.

Maybe it was just the camera angle, but I swear that it looked like Brittany Lincicome has a pigeon-toed putting stance.

WSE owes you for all those photos of Jeehae Lee!

I appreciate them also. Jeehae is one of the most interesting new players. Her blog entries on LPGA.com are unique and intelligent, along with other quotes I've seen from her. Of course, fitting for an Ivy League grad.

Sigh. I keep rooting but I believe she has made only one cut. The previous event she bogeyed the final hole on Friday to miss by one. :disapointed:

Maybe it was just the camera angle, but I swear that it looked like Brittany Lincicome has a pigeon-toed putting stance.

Ha! Harry - ala Rosie Jones? I'll try to watch her at practice today to see.

BTW - on the fashion front - I think that's the first time I've seen Lorena in cropped pants - a nice look for her I thought.

Just getting ready to venture out. Weather is warm and I can see blue skies, but we'll have brollies in tow. Thunderstorms are expected.

Wow, some big names missing the cut. They were commenting that if you weren't a long hitter, it was going to be a tough course. Sad for Morgan Pressel, would have liked to see her on the weekend. Also, Becky Lucidi missed the cut by just 1, shooting 70 and 74. I hope to see her competing more on the weekends. There were some unbelievable numbers yesterday, can't wait for today's round.

Ricey, so jealous of your weekend! Thanks for all the updates.:blob:

Grrrr--was it only on the east coast that they delayed the start of the broadcast half an hour to show college lacrosse? Like ESPN2 would ever let an LPGA broadcast run long!

Grrrr--was it only on the east coast that they delayed the start of the broadcast half an hour to show college lacrosse? Like ESPN2 would ever let an LPGA broadcast run long!

Nope. Here too.

So we got 1 1/2 coverage today of the ladies "5th Major." Lord help us if they preempted trick-shot billiards to show a full broadcast. (I thought the LPGA still bought it's air time on ESPN2 - did they just get ripped off?)

Round 3 Report -

We arrived at course at about 9am - spouse went off to the driving range, while I went up to the clubhouse. I took time to see the trophy up close, plus browse the many photos of past winners. Lots of Grace Park - fewer of Annika, Suzann and others. At about 11am, I joined spouse (and a ton of other fans, plus a certain Mexican fiance) at hole 1 for the Ochoa, Kerr, SH Kim tee off. My plan was to walk the front 9 with that group, then wander a bit and catch some other players. Turns out I saw the better half of Lorena's round. Drives were accurate and she made some nice long putts, but couldn't seem to charge ahead. Likewise for Christie - at that point. In fact, Song-Hee had the best front 9 of the 3. Meanwhile, fiance Andres walked quietly along, quite attentive, and I guess only a few others knew who he was, so he wasn't engaged in much chat. We did spot some other interested spectators near the 9th green - Morgan Pressel (probably watching Christie) and Mikaela Parmlid with her coach.

Our lunch break followed, so we headded for the 19th hole, ate, talked and rested. Spouse started toward #14 as I sat at 18 watching groups finish up, glancing sometimes at the TV coverage, and checking the big changes on the manual scoreboard. Wow - spouse later reported that Lorena seemed distracted - putts were not sinking when in previous rounds, her putting was very good. :confused2: #14 was a dissaster - over clubbing, underclubbing, I don't know. I'm so glad I was not there to witness the next thing I'm going to relate. Spouse went up to Andres and asked him if he was present at Morelia when Lorena won! He must have asked with a smile, because Andres laughed and said not to worry, that he's been present for many of her wins. Spouse and he then had a little conversation - he is very intelligent, friendly and his English is quite good - better than Lorena's I was told.

We left the course at 4:30pm and missed a downpour by a matter of a few minutes. It's raining now with thunder in the distance.

It was warm today, and should be warm tomorrow, but dry. Spouse will be following LO, while I hope to see Angela Stanford. I've got a feeling Lindsey's and Christie's paring will attract a good crowd (Christie's got game, but wouldn't it be exciting to have this win be Lindsey's first?) Stay tuned, friends.

Forecast is not looking to great but it changes every day here. If you're in the mood for mexican try La Tolteca, or right across the street from there is Second Street, a very nice American Bistro!!

When did SS change their menu? Shocked the hell out of me when we met friends there recently.

Back