Mike Whan stepping down in 2021

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Just came out, imo this is a MASSIVE loss for the LPGA as he pretty much saved that Tour and definitely improved it. Said he’s stepping down sometime in 2021 after 11 years.

wow - big time news. i thought he did a tremendous job and should be very proud of what he has done for the LPGA tour.

Seems very, very unexpected.

Weird, I thought he did a good job with the tour

Wow.

• Staff
wow - big time news. i thought he did a tremendous job and should be very proud of what he has done for the LPGA tour.
Yeah, this one hurts them, big shoes to fill

• Staff
1) Can Wahn be in charge of the **** show USGA and fix that now please?

2) Do we see a new name or a recognizable one take over eventually?

He has done some really good things for that tour. That's a big loss. But at least that ship is sailing in the right direction now.

• Staff
He has done some really good things for that tour. That's a big loss. But at least that ship is sailing in the right direction now.
Very true, it’s a big hire though, they cannot afford to miss, literally.

Be hard to replace him I suspect. Hopefully they find someone who has the same or better drive to keep things on track.

It has been one of the prime topics this morning on ITR on SiriusXM pga tour radio.

Maybe Jack can go over there. He won't have an issue with their distance off the tee.

It'll be interesting to see who they find to replace him. He's done a lot for the LPGA, hope the next person in line keeps it up.

His idea of thanking sponsors with hand written notes was genius! Hopefully the ladies continue that because the sponsors are so important.

Hopefully they get someone that continues the trend up for the LPGA.

I didn't realize he had been there for 11 years already. I really hope they have a good succession plan in place and that this is a transition that has been carefully orchestrated. If that is the case bringing in new blood can be a good thing. No matter how great someone is I always believe it's a good thing to shake things up every now and then. However if this is an unexpected turn of events and they don't have a clear path forward this may turn ugly for the LPGA.

Just saw this as well. The ladies should give him a big send off as I think he really cared about their game.

Some big time news there...wonder who the replacement will be & how they will keep the LPGA in the forefront.

He was a great commissioner for a brand that was struggling. Grew tournaments and purses. Think he will move to even bigger opportunities.

Huge loss. Big shoes to fill for sure.

Watching the Golf Channel & it’s intriguing hearing how Mike was so valued by current LPGA pros & HOF’ers. He will be missed!!!

Huge loss, my guess he has something already lined up like running the USGA. Mike has done so much to advance the LPGA, will be missed.

It'll be interesting to see who they find to replace him. He's done a lot for the LPGA, hope the next person in line keeps it up.
He’s set things up pretty nicely and should be a clear path.

I really hope they find someone that can keep the growth going. I would love to see the LPGA continue to grow and hopefully get more of a spotlight.

Back