Good Stuff

Reaction score
Handicap
Transition
I'm looking for a new set of irons to fit my high handicap and have really liked how I hit these. Any other iron I should consider?
Thanks

Cobra Bio Cells may be a set for you to take a look at. I tested a 6 iron from the set and it was very forgiving and quite long as well.

I played these for most of the year and really liked them, though I've found something I like more in the new Srixon irons. If you like Mizuno you might want to look into the EZ or EZ forged line as well. The EZ will give you a bit more forgiveness in a chunkier package, while the EZ forged play similarly to the 825 with a little different look and feel.

There are a lot of great clubs in the GI and SGI categories these days. Not sure what your budget is - You might be able to find a good deal on the covert 2.0 irons - that was one of my favorite SGI sets when I tested irons this year. But this is definitely one area where most if not all OEMs are making great stuff so if you find something you like there's nothing to worry about.

I hit the EZ'S but didn't hit or care for them as much as the 825's. I did hit the Callaway X2 HOT and hit it good but not as good.

+1 for BioCell, also consider Cleveland MT or TT (maybe wait for the Srixon Z545).

I play the 825s and on my fitting nothing came close

If you want something easy to hit try the JPX 800hd's, long iron replacements make that set.

I hit the EZ'S but didn't hit or care for them as much as the 825's. I did hit the Callaway X2 HOT and hit it good but not as good.

I think no matter what your handicap is, going with the irons you hit best and feel most comfortable with is the right move. Given the buzz mizuno is putting out with the JPX 850 line (See the "A star is Boron" thread), you might be able to start finding the 825 on the cheap side soon. The JPX 800 is also nearly identical (though I prefer the aesthetics of the 825).

The 825s are great clubs. I'm a huge Mizuno fan, but found that the Bio Cells were a better performer, and also won in the looks dept. Like Matt said, I would wait a month or two until the 850s come out. I have a feeling they might change the way people look at Mizuno irons going forward.

I just got the 825's for $479.00 before tax.

I just got the 825's for $479.00 before tax.

Congratulations! Great set up clubs at a steal of a price. Make sure to get them adjusted to your specs.....then things get even more easier.

Congrats on the 825's. I played them last season and really liked them. They are terrific irons and I found them pretty long.

I play the 825s and on my fitting nothing came close

same here - I've got probably 150 rounds on my 825's and still love them. Best are the long irons - the 4 & 5 irons are MONSTER's - best feeling long irons I've ever played.

same here - I've got probably 150 rounds on my 825's and still love them. Best are the long irons - the 4 & 5 irons are MONSTER's - best feeling long irons I've ever played.

Yep very easy to hit. I am debating dropping the 4i for a 4h

I believe the 850s are coming out this fall. I love my 800s and will likely order the 850s to replace them.

The JPX fli hi is a fantastic middle ground between the iron and hybrid. I get a bit better launch/distance with the 4 and it's just easy to hit.

My 825's are flying balls higher than I have ever been able to before.

My 825's are flying balls higher than I have ever been able to before.

They do get the ball up there. Long and straight is the name of the game with those. What shafts did you end up getting in them? The stock dynalite XPs? I think that's a great pairing for the club.

They do get the ball up there. Long and straight is the name of the game with those. What shafts did you end up getting in them? The stock dynalite XPs? I think that's a great pairing for the club.

Yes,those are the ones

Love my 800 irons, waiting patiently to see/hit the new 850's!!

I did that for a while & eventually dropped the hybrid and went back to the 4i for the following reasons:

1. Better off the tee
2. Feels incredible when pured
3. Exponentially better for hitting super low liners from under trees
4. I think I'm the only person alive that prefers irons to hybrids from the rough - I come down steeper with a long iron from the rough & it goes generally where I want it to ... I come down steep with a hybrid, no telling where it's going

Only disadvantage is it has lower ball flight than a hybrid. I'm not looking to come in soft with a 185 yd approach shot anyways - I'm lucky to even hit the green from that distance, so that's fine by me

I was so pleased at how I hit my 4 iron yesterday at the range that I may pull the hybrid.

I was so pleased at how I hit my 4 iron yesterday at the range that I may pull the hybrid.

good man - don't buy into all the hype, a well engineered modern cavity backed long iron isn't any tougher to hit than a hybrid

good man - don't buy into all the hype, a well engineered modern cavity backed long iron isn't any tougher to hit than a hybrid

Some would disagree, but I know what you mean.

Back