Mizuno JPX 900 Irons – THP Review Thread

Great OP write-up Dean. You are almost making me wish I had thrown a few HM longer irons in my mix. The looks of my 900 Forged is among the best looking irons I have ever owned. Big fan of the satin finish of them.

Out of curiosity, what are the swing weights of your irons? I am still playing around with mine using lead tape. Mine came in around D1.5. Have 5 - 9 at D3 now and PW, GW at D4.

I always find it interesting how many look at offset. To my eye, there is nothing about the way the HM look that make me scream that it's too much offset. Esp because in those irons that I have them in, I want to launch them as high as possible.

I looked at the HM and F and saw that I couldn't combo the set because the offset between 5 HM and 6 F was too big to really ignore. Could I get over it? sure. Data didn't really show me I had to though. When I switched from orange backed JPX EZ to 900F some portion of the decision was based on reducing offset because it was ugly to me. I needed the offset before when I had my Ping G15's to JPX-EZ. I had to get the results but now I can hit with less offset and the 900F are so nice to look at down by the ball. I had looked at Tours but ADM the look of 4 and 5 iron did not inspire confidence to me.

I think it is great that OEM's are providing options to give players exactly what they want

Great OP write-up Dean. You are almost making me wish I had thrown a few HM longer irons in my mix. The looks of my 900 Forged is among the best looking irons I have ever owned. Big fan of the satin finish of them.

Out of curiosity, what are the swing weights of your irons? I am still playing around with mine using lead tape. Mine came in around D1.5. Have 5 - 9 at D3 now and PW, GW at D4.

You know I actually don't know because on the build sheet under SW it essentially says as close as can be. I'll throw them on my scale sometime this week, but I'm not one who focuses much on SW because of all the different sets that come in and out.

I looked at the HM and F and saw that I couldn't combo the set because the offset between 5 HM and 6 F was too big to really ignore. Could I get over it? sure. Data didn't really show me I had to though. When I switched from orange backed JPX EZ to 900F some portion of the decision was based on reducing offset because it was ugly to me. I needed the offset before when I had my Ping G15's to JPX-EZ. I had to get the results but now I can hit with less offset and the 900F are so nice to look at down by the ball. I had looked at Tours but ADM the look of 4 and 5 iron did not inspire confidence to me.

I think it is great that OEM's are providing options to give players exactly what they want

Oh I understand that completely. The offset on the EZ line is a HUGE jump from the HM of Forged line here.

if the weather holds off these will get some action later today. Pretty excited as I think this build really sets up nicely for me.

if the weather holds off these will get some action later today. Pretty excited as I think this build really sets up nicely for me.

Looking forward to your thoughts comparing them to the 565s as I liked those

I was at my golf lesson yesterday and my pro let me hit these irons. They feel like butter on a good strike. And they feel like they have a huge sweet spot, even for a newb like myself. I would buy them if I could afford them!

Just ordered the Hot Metal the other day. Hope to have them next week.

The 900 Forged are just stupid-good looking. I love the sole grind Mizuno uses on irons in this "genre", all the way back to the MX20 and MX23.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Does Mizuno get some love now since the US Open champ had the JPX 900s in the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Mizuno get some love now since the US Open champ had the JPX 900s in the bag

Mizuno has gotten a decent amount of love on here for the 900 series, it was just in another thread before the official review came out. I think the 900 forged are one of the best players cavity irons out right now.

Mizuno JPX 900 Irons – THP Review Thread

Yes thanks was not trying to imply they were not respected here . Think most in the know would say they make some of the best irons. Was just happy to see a player win a major with them despite their lack of marketing--

Yes thanks was not trying to imply they were not respected here . Think most in the know would say they make some of the best irons. Was just happy to see a player win a major with them despite their lack of marketing--

Oh yea I'm with you. Don't think we see any additional Mizuno marketing, as it doesn't seem to be their style haha, but I believe a decent amount of guys not under contract with Mizuno were going with their irons this year. Paul Casey I believe has them too.

they sure are hoping so. It'd be nice for them and hopefully they can do a little more in the marketing department around them.

Oh yea I'm with you. Don't think we see any additional Mizuno marketing, as it doesn't seem to be their style haha, but I believe a decent amount of guys not under contract with Mizuno were going with their irons this year. Paul Casey I believe has them too.
Check out the former Nike staffer thread. A good number of those guys are playing Mizuno along with a few others that were not under contract. I think they even signed 2 or 3. Before that the only guy I new of playing them on the PGA tour, and under contract, was Luke Donald.

Apologies for going some time without an update. After getting some more play over the weekend I have a few more thoughts on them.

On the combo setup as a whole, I like it. There is no issues AT ALL for me going from he 6 HM o the 7 Forged iron. Some have mentioned the offset differences, but being completely honest, that is an absolute non factor and one that I don't see.

Hot Metal thoughts:

They feel hot, which I know sounds cliche, but the ball feels like it jumps off the face with incredible speed for an iron. Now the difference might be like 1 MPH and I will be able to better test that next week. Using the long irons are actually fun, and I'm someone who loathes long irons. Big fan of the thought that Mizuno threw a cup face design on these because the forgiveness is really solid. I even took my hybrid out of the bag last weekend and just hit 4 and 5 irons in that spot. Off the tee, off the turf, it was no real issue. For ME I'd still lean hybrid, but these do a good job of making me feel comfortable with a long iron in hand. The sole reacts nicely as there is some width to aid in the forgiveness but keeping me from sticking the club head in to the ground. Distances appear a touch on the strong side, but again can confirm that vs my normal games next week.

900 Forged:

First off, these are gorgeous. Absolutely love the finish on them and while they are thinner and smaller blade, they do not intimidate. I get a pretty good ball flight with them with some nice stopping power. My last round I ended up hiring 8 of my final 10 greens(let's not talk about the previous holes) using irons from 5 to the GW. One thing that surprises me a bit with the forged irons is that I was expecting a touch softer feel, but these are more on the firm side. Still a good feel and with the recoils that helps a bit. A slight beveled edge is a design I personally have been a huge fan of for some time now, and I like that it is employed here. Forgiveness for being a smaller club head is more than adequate but if you are looking for something that is really going to save your bacon, look more towards the Hot Metals.

Working on the final touches of this review, which includes getting some last minute numbers over the next few days. Anything in particular someone would like to see addressed?

Working on the final touches of this review, which includes getting some last minute numbers over the next few days. Anything in particular someone would like to see addressed?

Any real gapping issues going from the difference in iron material at the top end?

I know they're different lofts/lengths, but a comparison of forgiveness between the 5-6 would be interesting to me.

Any real gapping issues going from the difference in iron material at the top end?

during on course testing, it doesn't seem to an issue. But they are getting the Foresight test to show some "dry ball" gaps.

Any comparisons to Srixon 7x5 series possible?

Back