Mizuno JPX 900 Irons – THP Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
As part of Mizuno’s #900Seconds promotion, I took the 900 seconds, 15 minutes, to go get a quick fitting done with their newest series of irons. Utilizing their shaft optimizer, we were able to come out with a few shaft options that could work for me. On the steel side, the top option was KBS C Taper Lite, which felt good, with Recoil 95 being the graphite option. Being a current graphite user I opted for the Recoil 95 Stiff.

Also as part of my fitting, we spent some time going back and forth between the 900 Forged and 900 Hot Metal. I liked the HM more than I thought I would, and hit them really well. My fitter mentioned that he thought I would be a good candidate for a split set, and that is what Mizuno has sent in for a review. Below is some company information on the JPX 900 Hot Metal and JPX 900 Forged, as they are both in the bag.

Set Configuration:
JPX 900 HM 4-6
JPX 900 Forged 7-GW
UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Stiff

JPX 900 Hot Metal

The JPX 900 HOT METAL combines offensive ball speeds wih the adjustability of a forged iron – for the ultimate in cusomiable performance. The innovation of the Chromoly 4141M head gives strength for a distance enhancing cup face, and the softness for a moveable, bendable neck that’s tailored to your personal Swing DNA.

Key Features:
CHROMOLY 4140M:

· 15% stronger material than 17-4 pH Stainless steel provides the added strength for our hottest face ever
· Ultra-thin face combined with our re-engineered CORTECH multi-thickness design provides superior initial ball speed for maximum distance

POWER FRAME:
· More mass is pushed to the extreme perimeter of the club head for industry leading MOI
· POWER FRAME geometry is a result of our Harmonic Impact Technology.The rigid POWER FRAME provided an extremely solid impact sound while allowing maximum face rebound.

UNITIZED CUP FACE GEOMETRY:
· Through complex development techniques we were able to achieve Unitized Cup Face Geometry, delivering a massive COR AREA.
· Unitized Cup Face Geometry also provides more discretionary weight than welded cup face designs, thus allowing for a deeper CG and greater forgiveness

JPX 900 Forged

Built on the foundation of the highly regarded JPX 850 Forged, which was our first integration of Boron, the JPX 900 Forged makes 'across the board' enhancements that improve the look, feel and distance, with new levels of ball speeds from a forged iron. Delivering on ball speed and forgiveness, with a more compact playable design, the 900 forged provides the ultimate balanced attack.

Key Features:

Benefits from Boron:
· 1025 Boron is roughly 30% stronger than 1025E, allowing thinner, hotter, more extreme geometry
· Increased strength of Boron material frees up discretionary weight to be more optimally used
· Grain Flow Forging process delivers soft, solid, consistent feel.

NEW CORTECH Design:
· Multi-Thickness Face Allows for higher ball speed retention on off center hits
· Oriented to optimizer rebound and ball speeds on center impacts
· Large rebound area combined with COR Tech helps deliver a new level of COR for a forged iron

Reshaped Pocket Cavity:
· Thinnest area of sole extended in both the Toe and Heel directions for more ball speed across the face
· 21.5 grams removed to be redistributed to the Power Frame for forgiveness and stability

In Hand Pics:

i-FQvHDNG-XL.jpg

i-rHWHMZD-XL.jpg

i-Jvjxz2V-XL.jpg

i-2Wk2QgG-XL.jpg

i-WWr3Fjf-L.jpg

i-5pWnrbn-XL.jpg

i-k7dvh2c-XL.jpg

i-3pn5JdT-XL.jpg

i-Ds8Cd6V-XL.jpg

i-L4PzMtz-XL.jpg

I've been playing the Hot Metal set up (6-LW) since February and I love them. Very forgiving, long and great looking clubs in my opinion. I am thinking of adding a 5 HM to my bag soon as well.

Interesting combo set. Love the recoil option.

• Staff
I've been playing the Hot Metal set up (6-LW) since February and I love them. Very forgiving, long and great looking clubs in my opinion. I am thinking of adding a 5 HM to my bag soon as well.

I played two rounds over the weekend, and I was extremely impressed with the 3 hot metal clubs I have. I played with no hybrids, so I hit them all, including the 4 from the tee and fairway a couple of times during play. It's way early in the process, but man I like what I am seeing from the HM line. Bit thicker look, but doesn't give you the same feel or appearance as the EZ line. Offset is not much, and the feel is better than I expected. One shot with a 6 that comes to mind is I was 182 to the flag on a pretty flat hole. Hit the 6 from some thinner rough, caught it out on the toe side and it landed on the front left of the green. Told my pops to wait I wanted to hit another, and this one was flushed, was a nice high ball straight at the flag, pitch mark was 3-5 feet behind the flag stick. Ball ended up in the rough, but it was a back flag with only about 10 feet behind the pin. But that ball took off like a rocket and gave some strong yardage for me.

Nice write up about the split set. As mentioned on a previous post my buddies Hot Metal felt so good even on the lower grooves or almost anywhere on the face. I used to be able to hit long irons really without too much difficulty, sadly it's starting to turn the other way for me. My once 7 irons are almost starting to become 6 irons and so on. Don't carry any irons below a 5 but carries 5 wedges which mean my long irons suck. I have not hit a Mizuno JPX 900 forged but it might be the thing to try.
Question, having recoils in my irons, did you hit the Project X LZ shaft and if you did, your opinions! How is the feel of the JPX 900 forged, some say it is somewhat harsh.

Great looking irons. Excited to hear your thoughts.

What is your prior set of irons that you were using? Just want to get an idea of what you are comparing these to.

• Staff
Nice write up about the split set. As mentioned on a previous post my buddies Hot Metal felt so good even on the lower grooves or almost anywhere on the face. I used to be able to hit long irons really without too much difficulty, sadly it's starting to turn the other way for me. My once 7 irons are almost starting to become 6 irons and so on. Don't carry any irons below a 5 but carries 5 wedges which mean my long irons suck. I have not hit a Mizuno JPX 900 forged but it might be the thing to try.
Question, having recoils in my irons, did you hit the Project X LZ shaft and if you did, your opinions!

I did hit them with the LZ steel shafts. During my fitting the C Taper Lite and LZ were the top two steel options. I think they are a solid stock offering, but they just were not for me. More mental than performance though because between them and the C Taper Lite, the ball flight was not all that different. But my forearm started to quiver with fear as soon as I picked up the LZ shaft haha

Great looking irons. Excited to hear your thoughts.

What is your prior set of irons that you were using? Just want to get an idea of what you are comparing these to.

I've played a bunch this season including D300, F7 One, 565, but mostly have been with Apex CF16.

Man those are beautiful irons. The thicker toplines in the longer irons doesn't seem that bad to me since I'd prefer a hybrid in those irons anyway. If anything, it's almost like a driving iron.

Did you notice a feel difference between the HM and JPX 900? Or did it blend pretty well?

Those look fantastic. I bet they feel even better!

Man those are beautiful irons. The thicker toplines in the longer irons doesn't seem that bad to me since I'd prefer a hybrid in those irons anyway. If anything, it's almost like a driving iron.

Did you notice a feel difference between the HM and JPX 900? Or did it blend pretty well?

It blends pretty well to me, at least right off the bat. The forged feel a bit on the harder side, so it feels fairly comparable to me. And the topline really isn't bad at all. Going in to it prior, I thought it would be more like the EZ topline.

I did hit them with the LZ steel shafts. During my fitting the C Taper Lite and LZ were the top two steel options. I think they are a solid stock offering, but they just were not for me. More mental than performance though because between them and the C Taper Lite, the ball flight was not all that different. But my forearm started to quiver with fear as soon as I picked up the LZ shaft haha

I've played a bunch this season including D300, F7 One, 565, but mostly have been with Apex CF16.

I meant to say Project X LZ graphite not steel shafts. My steel shaft days according to my elbow are oong gone.

Man those look slick ddec. WIll need to try these next time we tee it up, especially intrigued by the HM long irons

It blends pretty well to me, at least right off the bat. The forged feel a bit on the harder side, so it feels fairly comparable to me. And the topline really isn't bad at all. Going in to it prior, I thought it would be more like the EZ topline.

I wondered the harder feel on the 900's with them still using boron after what PhillyV educated us about that metal.

I meant to say Project X LZ graphite not steel shafts. My steel shaft days according to my elbow are oong gone.
Gotcha. No I did not try those.

Those are great looking!!! Makes me want to put some Mizunos back in the bag!!!!

I'm currently pondering a set of 900 Forged. They are my coach's who is a Mizuno staffer and he is about to get all the new stuff coming out so he's offered me his current set. I will follow closely Dean

Great write-up curious as to how much of the industry uses boron or if this is exclusive to mizuno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrific write-up Dean, and the photos look fantastic as well. Any issues going from the 6 to the 7 or vice-versa? Gapping is fine?

Terrific write-up Dean, and the photos look fantastic as well. Any issues going from the 6 to the 7 or vice-versa? Gapping is fine?

They flow together quite nicely. Also the 6 and 7 of both sets have the same loft, lie, and length, which helps blend them together a bit better IMO. I will have them on a LM soon enough to get a real strong look at gapping, but in terms of it on the course, I did not notice any issues.

They flow together quite nicely. Also the 6 and 7 of both sets have the same loft, lie, and length, which helps blend them together a bit better IMO. I will have them on a LM soon enough to get a real strong look at gapping, but in terms of it on the course, I did not notice any issues.

CANNOT wait for you to get these on the Foresight.

I love my 900 Forged. Considered the combo set but the offset difference between the HM and Forged was just too much. (6 iron F vs. HM .142" to .191")

The hotmetals and JPX 900 hydrid set up i went with continue to impress. Not to mention the great job the Mizuno reps did fitting me. I'm saving at least 10 strokes a round from before. Amazing what properly fitted equipment could do. Pretty sure the lessons and swing fix ain't hurting but I just have so much confidence with the tools I now have at my disposal.

I love my 900 Forged. Considered the combo set but the offset difference between the HM and Forged was just too much. (6 iron F vs. HM .142" to .191")

That is a big difference, did take me some getting used too.

Great looking clubs! Really cool that you got the split set...still not something that I think about often until I read about THPers doing it.

I always find it interesting how many look at offset. To my eye, there is nothing about the way the HM look that make me scream that it's too much offset. Esp because in those irons that I have them in, I want to launch them as high as possible.

Back