Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Starting to wonder about a hot metal in the 4 and 5 iron versus a hybrid... what say y’all?

The 919 tour is great in the 4/5. I hit them well. Straight, decent distance, but I just don’t create enough speed to get them high enough to maximize their carry. They go a good distance and gapped well enough, but if I had to guess, they probably carry similar distances, but also have a decent amount of roll after wards. Good for tee shots or par 5 lay ups, not great for longer shots into the green unless I’m playing to a back pin haha.

Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hot Metal 5 iron will launch plenty high and has enough stopping power to greens because of decent angle.
I don't hit a 4 iron as I use a 7W at 21 degrees.
I can play the 5 iron off the deck and off the tee with no issues.

I think you pick long irons/hybrids/utility irons based on covering up your weaknesses (at least for me), as well as what looks best to your eye. I have been playing a 24 degree Titleist 818 H2 (23 degree head adjusted to 224) and it gaps really well with my player distance 6 iron. The head is small and feels quite similar to an iron. I also think I can get it through the rough better than a 4 or 5 iron. But some people are prone to hook a hybrid, which I am not.

Ya I know its player dependent but I know for the type of player I am, the hybrid should be more beneficial. But I don’t hit them well. Irons I hit decently to good but the lower lifts are tough for me sometimes to elevate. I’m not super slow by any means (about 95-100 as) but once you get to about 24 ish degrees the newer tech in irons/hybrids help a lot with getting that ball up haha.

The Hot Metal 5 iron will launch plenty high and has enough stopping power to greens because of decent angle.
I don't hit a 4 iron as I use a 7W at 21 degrees.
I can play the 5 iron off the deck and off the tee with no issues.

What’s your typical ss

Ya I know its player dependent but I know for the type of player I am, the hybrid should be more beneficial. But I don’t hit them well. Irons I hit decently to good but the lower lifts are tough for me sometimes to elevate. I’m not super slow by any means (about 95-100 as) but once you get to about 24 ish degrees the newer tech in irons/hybrids help a lot with getting that ball up haha.

Golf is so much between the ears. If you think you will hit something better than a hybrid, you likely will. It is not an expensive experiment to add an iron.

What’s your typical ss

My 7 iron SS is 85. I hit my 5 iron in the 175-185 range (carry yards). I am not a hybrid fan at all. I asked fitter when I was getting my hot metals about hybrids and he said to stay with what was comfortable, and since I can launch the 7W so easy and get the distance gap I need it works perfect.

My 7 iron SS is 85. I hit my 5 iron in the 175-185 range (carry yards). I am not a hybrid fan at all. I asked fitter when I was getting my hot metals about hybrids and he said to stay with what was comfortable, and since I can launch the 7W so easy and get the distance gap I need it works perfect.

Makes sense. Probably will try out the hot metal first.

So tried to tie down a hot metal 6 iron to test out against my 5 iron but the seller didn’t take my offer haha. I may be ordering one straight from mizuno instead.

The one I wanted to win had a recoil in it which would be interesting and helpful I would think to get the height I want.

Also playing with the idea to get one shafted up with a catalyst 80..... hmmm

Haha in other news, as long as the shop has some space/time for me to hit, i should be able to get some actual numbers on my 919tours with the elevate tour from ultimate weekend. See if what I’m seeing course wise is matching up. Hit mine against their demos with the stock shaft in it.

So tried to tie down a hot metal 6 iron to test out against my 5 iron but the seller didn’t take my offer haha. I may be ordering one straight from mizuno instead.

The one I wanted to win had a recoil in it which would be interesting and helpful I would think to get the height I want.

Also playing with the idea to get one shafted up with a catalyst 80..... hmmm

Haha in other news, as long as the shop has some space/time for me to hit, i should be able to get some actual numbers on my 919tours with the elevate tour from ultimate weekend. See if what I’m seeing course wise is matching up. Hit mine against their demos with the stock shaft in it.

Funny, I'm trying to pick up a MP18 MMC FLI-HI 5i to test out against my 919HM 6i and I have my 7i out to Peoples Clubs to have a Catalyst 80 installed as a test.

Playing a course Saturday that has tight lies and firm greens, looking forward to see how the turf interaction is and how the iron shots will hold greens.

45* tomorrow and Sat. Wife is talking about golfing weather and I appreciate her hints. Might be getting these out for the first time soon!

45* tomorrow and Sat. Wife is talking about golfing weather and I appreciate her hints. Might be getting these out for the first time soon!

I think you are going to love them. They do so many things so well that they create great consistency, while giving some help with distance and forgiveness. For me, the 919 Forged are the ideal iron.

I finally got out today for the first time and the 919 Forged did NOT disappoint. While it was around 45* with some wind, the sun was shining and I was happy to get out.

I have not yet got mine adjusted to the right lie nor have I regripped, but I still managed to get very comfortable with them very quickly. And they looked fantastic in the bag!

For reference, thanks to THP and True Temper in the Ultimate Weekend, mine are shafted with the DG TI 120 S400. With those, I saw a flight that was pleasingly low, but still had plenty of stopping power. As you can see in the photos below, I had no problem with that aspect despite a lower flight. The photos shown are, in order, a PW downwind to an elevated green from 133 out, a 6 iron downwind from 172 out (for an eagle putt), and a 9 iron from 146 out downwind.

I will say that the sound and feel were a bit hampered with the temperature outside as was distance, but I can elaborate on forgiveness that I experienced. When I strayed a little toward the toe, I was pleased with the result, which tended to start right and stay there with less than 10% of distance loss, which I can appreciate. It's not the most forgiving club out there, but it's solid for the package. I am excited to get them back out on the course, maybe soon!
94d4dc46d2321539c62d24ed0455ab53.jpg
b611b070c98803a3e96eda028d6956d0.jpg
bf0c84c8b257882139cbc8dcd2f42e4c.jpg
f464cbc81701de6d406058dfbd970e2f.jpg

I finally got out today for the first time and the 919 Forged did NOT disappoint. While it was around 45* with some wind, the sun was shining and I was happy to get out.

I have not yet got mine adjusted to the right lie nor have I regripped, but I still managed to get very comfortable with them very quickly. And they looked fantastic in the bag!

For reference, thanks to THP and True Temper in the Ultimate Weekend, mine are shafted with the DG TI 120 S400. With those, I saw a flight that was pleasingly low, but still had plenty of stopping power. As you can see in the photos below, I had no problem with that aspect despite a lower flight. The photos shown are, in order, a PW downwind to an elevated green from 133 out, a 6 iron downwind from 172 out (for an eagle putt), and a 9 iron from 146 out downwind.

I will say that the sound and feel were a bit hampered with the temperature outside as was distance, but I can elaborate on forgiveness that I experienced. When I strayed a little toward the toe, I was pleased with the result, which tended to start right and stay there with less than 10% of distance loss, which I can appreciate. It's not the most forgiving club out there, but it's solid for the package. I am excited to get them back out on the course, maybe soon!
94d4dc46d2321539c62d24ed0455ab53.jpg
b611b070c98803a3e96eda028d6956d0.jpg
bf0c84c8b257882139cbc8dcd2f42e4c.jpg
f464cbc81701de6d406058dfbd970e2f.jpg

Glad you got out bud. I’m sure what you call a lower flight is probably somewhat normal for me :)

Got out today on a course that has really firm greens. I didn’t have any issues holding greens with the hot metals. They seem to give me enough spin and with the decent angle I never had a ball rollout more than 3 feet from the ball mark. ( that was using the Q-Star Tour ball).

Home Course today for a round in really windy conditions. I did not notice any shots ballooning at all.
I know people think these irons won't spin enough, but I hit a shot today, down wind with an 8 iron and the ball stopped with in a foot of the ball mark.

Glad I chose the Recoil 95's over the 110's, losing those few grams has made a difference in how I feel after a round.
The 95's are more than responsive enough and have a great feel.
Excited to get these out in warmer weather.

I sent one set of the 919F sets to Will Peoples to reshaft with Accra Tour i80 shafts. I liked the liveliness of the Accra when I tried them in a Miura iron a few years ago. Looking forward to it.

In the meantime, will game the 919F with the Project LZ Tour 90 5.0 hardstepped once. It's a nice shaft with a stiff butt and tip and a softer midsection. Seems to get great carry and results, just not as much feel as I like through the ball. But they may be fine - looking forward to comparing this winter/spring.

Still wavering back and forth between the HMs and the z585s... both feel great and perform very similarly with the modus pro 120 x shafts. Decisions decisions

Still wavering back and forth between the HMs and the z585s... both feel great and perform very similarly with the modus pro 120 x shafts. Decisions decisions

...or wait until the HM Pro comes out: same lofts as the HM, but the size of the 919F. They are definitely nice.

I'm excited to hit these sometime soon, I have a feeling about them....

Home Course today for a round in really windy conditions. I did not notice any shots ballooning at all.
I know people think these irons won't spin enough, but I hit a shot today, down wind with an 8 iron and the ball stopped with in a foot of the ball mark.

Glad I chose the Recoil 95's over the 110's, losing those few grams has made a difference in how I feel after a round.
The 95's are more than responsive enough and have a great feel.
Excited to get these out in warmer weather.

I love the way the Recoil 95s feel, outstanding!

HM Pro next to the HM.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-10.36.18-am.png

HM Pro next to the HM.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-10.36.18-am.png

I wonder how the HM Pro fits into the lineup. It almost seems like it would fill the same slot as the 919 Forged, except that it would blend in better with the HM.

From my post a few back: same lofts as HM, but 919F size.

Back