Mizuno JPX919 Irons

I did a fitting almost two weeks ago, up until now I've always hit Ping black dot reg length stuff. I was fitted into Ping black dot with +1" shafts that I was hitting just ok. I had never ever touched a Mizuno club of any kind, not that I have anything against them just that they had never crossed my radar, enter the jpx 919 hot metal pro with recoil 95 shafts. I was hitting the 7 iron almost 180 which is fantastic for me since I was only hitting the Ping 7 iron 150-160 at best. I love the smooth feel of graphite and I have a lower back injury so I dont like swinging steel shafts. I picked up my 919 HM pros friday, 6-pw recoil 95 shafts with Golf Pride midsize tour wraps. I would post a pic but I am at work and dont have one with me. Talked the wife into a fitting and she's waiting on new Ping G410 irons and 9 wood. I also picked up a used ST180 driver while I was there with the Tensei orange reg flex shaft. I can't wait to hit these babies!

NICE! Mizuno kinda really never crossed my mind either, but was able to meet a rep and hit them. No one around me stocks them. Glad it all worked out, they are awesome for me. I have the same driver set up, it's AWESOME.

Hit both Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro irons yesterday with the Project X LZ 4.5 reg graphite shaft. Felt great and was hitting the 7 iron a little farther than the gamer D7 7 iron.

Ponder., major ponder.

What is the difference between the Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro irons? Both have the same lofts, just curious as to the difference.

I’ve had my hot metals for over a month now and have seen a definite improvement in my ball striking. My instructor is a Mizuno fitter, and between his knowledge of my game, the mizuno fitting technology and a Foresight GC Quad, we dialed in the perfect setup.

I really like them. With the +2 upright lie, I actually see my ball contacts much closer to the face sweet spot. Going back to graphite shafts help my hands and body joints. I’ve never been consumed by aesthetics, but they are a nice looking club.

I can’t wait for the courses to clear of snow/ice and open!

Hit both Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro irons yesterday with the Project X LZ 4.5 reg graphite shaft. Felt great and was hitting the 7 iron a little farther than the gamer D7 7 iron.

Ponder., major ponder.

What is the difference between the Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro irons? Both have the same lofts, just curious as to the difference.

From the Mizuno website, "Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro irons take all the incredible features of the JPX 919 Hot Metal irons and put them in a tighter package better players gravitate towards. Namely, these irons have a shorter blade length, thinner topline, and less offset than their counterparts"

Ponder., major ponder.

The pros have 10% less offset and the overall profile is smaller. They have a slightly thinner, more rounded top edge although the blade length from heel to toe is the same.

Thanks wedeman & Golf Dawg for the "splain".

If I was to pull the trigger on these, I think it would be the hot metal irons. Playing W/S D7 irons now so going to the hot metal pro irons would seem they would be too small/tiny compared to the size of the D7 irons. The hot metal irons would look closer size wise. Still a major ponder. Headed back to GG tomorrow with the D7 iron and hit both hot metal & pro to compare. Yesterday I was hitting both hot metal & pro with the Project X LZ 4.5 reg graphite shaft and it fits my swing great.

Last edited:
Alright. Took the HM Pros to the range yesterday.

So I hit every iron at least 6-7 times, starting with PW. This was the first time I’ve been at the range in over a month, so the swing wasn’t great. The wind was blowing pretty good, right to left, and with the way the clouds were, potential rain, I couldn’t see the balls that well to start.

PW. Right off the bat I saw the height off these, but it wasn’t ballooning! Strong, high flight. The first pin I shot was 132, and the wind was quartering, kind of into me. My previous PW went right at 135, and these are a degree stronger, so I figured I’d be a little short due to the wind. Nope. Went right over the green! Looked to be landing about 5 yards past! Dang!!! One thing I noticed is they cut my PW too short! It’s at least 1/4” too short... Awesome. They’re ordering me another one.

Moved to 7 iron, and I saw less height, but still a strong flight, really holding steady against the wind with no ballooning! I’m getting happy at this point. I caught two in-a-row PURE, ball mark dead center, and these just WENT!

Moved through the rest of the clubs and they all performed nicely! I struggled a bit with the 5 iron and started leaving them out to the right, but it was the last one I hit, and I was getting a little worn out. It’s going to take me awhile to figure out the yardages since they’re longer than the loft equivalent in my Ping i210s, and MP-18 SCs! High flight like I saw in the fitting, and VERY forgiving. In all honesty, what offset there is isn’t really noticeable at address, and it’s not that much more than the SCs. Nope, they don’t feel as good on mishits as the SCs, but that’s expected. The sound/feel when flushed is REALLY good for cast! Again, what I noticed in the fitting.

I’m praying I can get home tomorrow and get 9 in JUST to get some yardages. I may have to wait until midweek, but maybe not. After round 1 with not the best swing, these show a LOT of promise. They did what I expected!!! If y’all get a chance to hit them outside at a demo day or a fitting, you’ll see what I mean about the flight being “strong”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was finally able to get out and play and had the HM on the course. I overshot my first 3 pins by 5-7 yards. Started backing off a club and was just fine the rest of the round. Course was really wet today, and had no issues with the club getting caught up.

Was finally able to get out and play and had the HM on the course. I overshot my first 3 pins by 5-7 yards. Started backing off a club and was just fine the rest of the round. Course was really wet today, and had no issues with the club getting caught up.

Good to hear these are treating you well. What shafts do you have in them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear these are treating you well. What shafts do you have in them?

Recoil 95 F3 Really like the Recoils.

hi all,
So, my first post! I have a few questions and would appreciate feedback. I have been following three threads lately, one of which helped me decide on a driver; now trying to decide on irons and shafts.
Some background...currently playing Callaway X Hot Pro's with KBS shafts. Irons served me well but time to treat myself to something new. My 7I swing speed is low to mid 80's (on a good day) and carry about 155 (on a good day). I have tested two brands, Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pro and the Callaway Apex 19 Forged. I feel comfortable with the Nippon 105's and the XP 95's. I have started, after a long winter, to hit balls before going for a final fitting this coming Thursday.

So here's my question....has anyone hit both and found much of a difference, if any? I keep going back and forth, liking both equally. I know it's subjective, but I literally bounce back and forth.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oops....just notice the "Pondering Equipment Thread". Like i noted...first post! sorry....will be more attentive next time.

Last edited:
hi all,
So, my first post! I have a few questions and would appreciate feedback. I have been following three threads lately, one of which helped me decide on a driver; now trying to decide on irons and shafts.
Some background...currently playing Callaway X Hot Pro's with KBS shafts. Irons served me well but time to treat myself to something new. My 7I swing speed is low to mid 80's (on a good day) and carry about 155 (on a good day). I have tested two brands, Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pro and the Callaway Apex 19 Forged. I feel comfortable with the Nippon 105's and the XP 95's. I have started, after a long winter, to hit balls before going for a final fitting this coming Thursday.

So here's my question....has anyone hit both and found much of a difference, if any? I keep going back and forth, liking both equally. I know it's subjective, but I literally bounce back and forth.

I would say go with what feels best for you. Since you are going for a fitting, hit both and see which gives you the best #'s that you are happy with. Distance, dispersion, spin #'s are all important. Try to make sure you can hit the same shafts in both.
I would expect the biggest difference to be cost.
Callaway Apex 19 5-PW with Recoil 95 and GP grips priced out at $1410
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-PW with Recoil 95 and GP grips priced out at $750 (I have this setup)
So if cost is not an issue than just get what feels best to you.

The wait for my new irons will be the death of me. Been bugging the nice people at the golf shop a lot and they were saying the Mizuno iron heads are all made in Japan. Is this true? That would be really cool since most source outside their country for manufacturing.

The wait for my new irons will be the death of me. Been bugging the nice people at the golf shop a lot and they were saying the Mizuno iron heads are all made in Japan. Is this true? That would be really cool since most source outside their country for manufacturing.

Depending on what day of the week you ordered them you should have them with in a week. Did you have them direct shipped to you or to the place you ordered from? I got fitted on a Saturday and had my irons the following Monday. Mizuno has a great turn around time of usually 2 days for a build on irons.

Patience grasshopper. Looking forward to some feedback when it thaws out up north.

hi all,

Oops....just notice the "Pondering Equipment Thread". Like i noted...first post! sorry....will be more attentive next time.

I hit both and chose the HM Pros. The Apex spin and dispersion were not very good for me, so it wasn’t a difficult choice. I went through a full fitting for irons, FYI. I wouldn’t just pick a set, I’d definitely say do a fitting because one set may for you better than another person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hit the Apex but don’t remember much of it. I tried 7-8 different irons before deciding. The Callaway, Taylor made, and Cobra irons didn’t work very well for me and those were the irons I was most excited to try. Came down to Ping, Wilson, and Mizuno. Mizuno Hot Metal Pros had the tightest dispersion and best overall consistency by a good margin. Go with what works best for you.

HM is actually what I think I'll love the most.

I've noticed a few people choosing a combo set? Can someone talk as to why? For example: What does a forged, tour, or pro in the 8-pw do that the HM would not?

Didn’t see anybody answer your question. It’s not really what will it do versus the other ones will do. It is for sure a preference deal. Some people want a smaller package in those scoring clubs. Some want a different feel.

Now with that said, there is a little bit of performance difference between the different categories. The tors and forged will typically spin more than the hot metals. They will also typically launch a little bit lower depending on the person obviously. And I guess the most obvious one is they do have different loft make ups so you will see distance differences for a lot of people

I’m in full tilt ponder on some:

919 forged 4-6
919 tour 7-PW.

Ctaper lite X, MC Align grips....

Oh just do it!

So of course with me being in equipment nerd and wanting a try everything. I certainly want to look into different iron sets. Mainly the new Callaway apex pros. Also I’m loving the new Wilson staff tour blades. I just would find it very silly to do that when I’m playing super well right now with the tours. They are just so consistent and doing exactly what I am expecting them to do based off my head. And I have scored in the 70s and several low 80 rounds over the past month or so.

So of course with me being in equipment nerd and wanting a try everything. I certainly want to look into different iron sets. Mainly the new Callaway apex pros. Also I’m loving the new Wilson staff tour blades. I just would find it very silly to do that when I’m playing super well right now with the tours. They are just so consistent and doing exactly what I am expecting them to do based off my head. And I have scored in the 70s and several low 80 rounds over the past month or so.

Would be hard to change from that considering you are scoring well and its early in the season.

Didn’t see anybody answer your question. It’s not really what will it do versus the other ones will do. It is for sure a preference deal. Some people want a smaller package in those scoring clubs. Some want a different feel.

Now with that said, there is a little bit of performance difference between the different categories. The tors and forged will typically spin more than the hot metals. They will also typically launch a little bit lower depending on the person obviously. And I guess the most obvious one is they do have different loft make ups so you will see distance differences for a lot of people

Thank you!

I never even thought about spin. In my head I was thinking if the HM is the most forgiving of the bunch and forgiveness (I don't really try to work the ball) is what I'm seeking then what would the benefit be to a less forgiving type of club head? Especially in the scoring clubs where my sole goal is to get it on the green.

Thank you!

I never even thought about spin. In my head I was thinking if the HM is the most forgiving of the bunch and forgiveness (I don't really try to work the ball) is what I'm seeking then what would the benefit be to a less forgiving type of club head? Especially in the scoring clubs where my sole goal is to get it on the green.

Working the ball and players clubs tends to get piled together but I know that I (not a great player by any means) typically have no issue moving a ball with any type of iron. Now with the hot metals being lower spin and a bit bigger, I may have to do more to get them to move the ball, but it’s not a big factor to me. What is a bigger factor for me when it comes to the more forgiving/ higher launch/lower spending heads is that I need to make sure they are either A) sspinning enough to stop when I hit certain shots into a green or B) having a steep enough descent angle to stop somewhat quickly as well. Some will say they may launch too high for their liking depending on if you play in Highwind locations, but that can be easily fixed with different types of shafts or adjusting how you play the shot to hit lower.

Hit whatever you’re comfortable with, hit what you want to hit, and hit with what gives you the best possibility to score well.

Working the ball and players clubs tends to get piled together but I know that I (not a great player by any means) typically have no issue moving a ball with any type of iron. Now with the hot metals being lower spin and a bit bigger, I may have to do more to get them to move the ball, but it’s not a big factor to me. What is a bigger factor for me when it comes to the more forgiving/ higher launch/lower spending heads is that I need to make sure they are either A) sspinning enough to stop when I hit certain shots into a green or B) having a steep enough descent angle to stop somewhat quickly as well. Some will say they may launch too high for their liking depending on if you play in Highwind locations, but that can be easily fixed with different types of shafts or adjusting how you play the shot to hit lower.

Hit whatever you’re comfortable with, hit what you want to hit, and hit with what gives you the best possibility to score well.

I can honestly say that I haven't had any issues getting a ball to stop with the HM's. I hit Chrome Softs and get enough spin to stop shots even on firmer greens.

I can honestly say that I haven't had any issues getting a ball to stop with the HM's. I hit Chrome Softs and get enough spin to stop shots even on firmer greens.

That’s awesome! I have never hit them so I have no idea what they are doing when it comes to that. I just know typically irons such as those will not spin as much as say the tours. Again that is very player depended as well. A lot of times, those type of irons get their stopping ability from the increase launch and steeper landing angle into the green. Especially when it comes to the shorter irons.

Back