Mizuno MP-20 Irons

What do you think of a combo set of

HMB 5-7 JPX 921 Forged 8-9 or PW (ES21 for 46-58 or 50-58)

Last edited:
What do you think of a combo set of

HMB 5-7 JPX 921 Forged 8-9 or PW (ES21 for 46-58 or 50-58)
This is just me, but if I were to combo a set of Mizuno irons, I would stick within the same family, i.e., MP20 HMB/MMC/blades or JPX 921 Tour/Forged/HM/HMP.

Why and why

Off the top of my head without looking at specs: First, the manufacturing process - the MP-20 line has the famous copper plating. Second, the different design, going from a hollow blade with tungsten, and a chromoly face and neck up through 8i, and transitioning to a CB that is 1025E in 8-PW even if you can get a bounce/loft match, you've got a grind and sole mismatch even if the soles look similar.

I also found potential gapping differences - I got more distance out of the HMB than the Forged in my fitting with better dispersion. So you may hit a different design in a way that leaves you scratching your head as to having them together in a set.

And if you are OCD, I think Blade long-mid to CB short irons would drive me nuts. With me, it was always going to be either Forged or HMB but not a blend due to differences (I might have gone the real blade in the PW, but why). And I don't believe Mizuno made the 921 and MP-20 to blend. So the probability of having it work the way you want seems fairly low. And feel, I kept on wanting to hit the HMB with more eagerness than the Forged, but feel is subjective. Once the HMB were in my hands, you could not pry that feel from my head.

Paul Casey plays MP5s combined with JPX hot metal pros

Paul Casey plays MP5s combined with JPX hot metal pros

He is going from HMP in 3-4i and then a blade in the rest of the set. That is far different from what you are doing.

If I had more speed, I would use my 919HMP in long irons for distance. It's a more forgiving club. I have the 4i but a hybrid takes its place until I grow more talent.

But you are discussing a forgiving hollow blade in mid-irons to a CB in the short irons which seem similar in forgiveness. You won't see any pros progressing from blade to CB unless it's a blade-like driving iron serving as a 2-3i.

It's your money and golf game. Good luck.

Last edited:
Why and why
For me, it would mostly be about aesthetics. Those families of irons have a similar look to them. I can’t honestly say whether I know that they would blend into each other, but by sticking within the same family, there is the comfort of knowing that MIzuno specifically designed the irons to be able to be blended. I am confident that with tweaking, the sets could be blended, but it is probably just my sort of OCD about having the iron set look similar.

I’ve decided the hmb and mmc don’t combo well in my view. The hmb is longer and has a slower toe. I can’t put the same swing on both irons and be successful. I’m playing the mmc and the hmb set is in the garage. The hmb is just a little to big and slow to close. If you fight a low hook hmb would be great for you.

Found a picture that shows size difference. Did not realize it would be that much.
4-6 HMB
7-PW MB

E613AFCD-177D-4402-B501-EF99EE30FC0F.jpeg

I’ve decided the hmb and mmc don’t combo well in my view. The hmb is longer and has a slower toe. I can’t put the same swing on both irons and be successful. I’m playing the mmc and the hmb set is in the garage. The hmb is just a little to big and slow to close. If you fight a low hook hmb would be great for you.

Don't know about that but plenty of peeps play a mixed set with HMB in long and/or mid-irons without apparent issues. As you said, they did not work for you.

I went today and had the shaft optimizer fitting, spent an hour and a half going over things and different shafts. This was all with a 7 iron.
Headspeed 81
Tempo 4
Toe down 3
Kick angle 4.33
Release factor 6

What we came up with in the MP20HMB-
Nippon pro modus 105 s
1/2” + in length
2* upright

I was hitting the ball square and good 165 yards, no lose in distance, that’s one thing I worried about with the HMB. They really felt great and looked great.

^ Posted! And boy do they look sleek!

I think one real problem with muscleback blade iron designs is that players have been shamed out of having them. I know several 0 and., or, + handicap really good ball strikers
not long ago blade irons but now have cavity back designs. Comparing how they played with blades versus their current CB's their scoring seems about the same to me, but I think some individual shots might have been a little better with the blades.
On Tour the OEM trucks are at the driving range every week and I think the equipment reps are constantly making available a company's new cavity back model, especially to a blade player who has missed a few cuts. So, each year seems to have at least a few Tour players convert from blades to cavity back irons.
The top amateurs , including highly ranked juniors and collegiate players , notice what is in Tour players bags and I am sure some of them think "if Joe Tour Pro has cavity backs I should too, even though I won my State Amateur tournament this year"
The OEM marketing department and sales constantly deliver a strong message that "bigger is better" or "cavity backs are best" etc... , and that's fine. But I do wonder sometimes if top amateurs and Tour pros who won lots of events with muscleback blades, but are now playing cavity backs because they were shamed out of the blades, may have made a mistake.

After 7 weeks their finally here!

605F733B-EDA8-4E32-8D7A-0585C005AABA.jpeg

Back